Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 34228 times)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
Re: What's your occupation?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 09:47:39 pm »

I am new to this site and the idea. I am a CRNA 

Like many other states, NH is SCREAMING for nurses and nursing assistants. Both hospitals and nursing homes.

Brien

• I'm a Leo
    • standard transportation
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 12:09:19 pm »

My occupation in New Jersey is underemployed Unix System Administrator.  My plan is to open a restaurant specializing in chili probably in or near Laconia, since presently there isn't a decent bowl of red for sale in the whole state.  I figure Laconia is equally inconvenient for those coming from places where they've learned to expect good chili to travel to from either the northern or southern ends of the state.  Besides, until a couple of decades ago it was the home of my mother's family since time immemorial (i.e. probably a few weeks after the fracas in Salem Mass in 1692).

Ward:  (Quidado, mi amigo) Watch out, my friend, because there is an excellent Mexican Restaurant in the Old Train Station in Laconia.  It is run by a Mexican immigrant.  The name escapes me right now but it was very good.  I ate there last year and it was tops!  However, I don't recall Chili being on the menu, as this is an authentic Mexican Restaurant that doesn't serve up "Tex-Mex."

Good luck with your Chili House.

BTW.  I am self employed.  I work in trucking but I don't drive.  I would suggest anyone who wants an excellent way to make a living, and wishes to eventually be your own boss, try driving the "big rigs."  I have many drivers living in Northern New England.  You will require one year of VERIFIABLE experience, and a clean driving record on your CDL.

You can drive for a large company and pay your dues like that for a while.   Or, once you have the year or two verifiable experience, you can purchase your own rig and make the payments every month, just like a mortgage.  However this puts the responsibility square on your back to make those payments on time.  This means you must haul freight and keep those wheels moving.  This is not the life for a lazy person.  You will be away from home often unless you work for a company that specializes in "short haul".  If you want to see the entire country, eating out of truck stops, and living out of a truck, then by all means learn to drive and find someone who will hire a driver right out of the training school.  Be sure you have the job lined up before enrolling in the school because most companies require the one or two year verifiable experience.  But there are a few companies that will hire drivers rightout of the correct school.  Try to get the commitment in writing for the job after successful graduation.

If anyone has any interest in "driving truck" as they call it, please contact me and I will help you as much as I am able.  Been in the business for 30 years.  It has been very good to me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 12:34:35 pm by Brien »
No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.

Valerius

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 12:15:56 pm »

I'm a political science student in the University of California system, and I'm working toward going to law school at Pierce in Concord. That's pretty much my way of getting into the state.  :)
Civilisation is the process toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilisation is the process of setting man free from men.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 09:56:58 pm »

Ward:  (Quidado, mi amigo) Watch out, my friend, because there is an excellent Mexican Restaurant in the Old Train Station in Laconia.  It is run by a Mexican immigrant.  The name escapes me right now but it was very good.  I ate there last year and it was tops!  However, I don't recall Chili being on the menu, as this is an authentic Mexican Restaurant that doesn't serve up "Tex-Mex."

Las Pinatas.  I ate there on a previous exploratory trip up there, but not this time as we lunched at a nice little Thai place next door to Laconia High School, then continued south to Manchester for the mandatory visit to sundry family members (there's another reason I won't move up to the southern part of the state but go north instead).  I would have stopped in for a hello, but they were closed between the lunch and supper meals when we dropped in at the Chamber of Commerce office adjacent in the building to grab a bunch of info and brochures.(When I was attending LHS in the early 70s, the most ethnic anyplace got was Italian or German).  The proprietor of Las Pinatas is a damned nice guy, and I can't consider us direct competitors as we're into entirely different styles -- his is real Mexican, mine is purely Norteamericano.

I don't think of the location as the Old Train Station, as trains were long gone before I arrived in Laconia in 1970.  I think of it as the Old Police Station, as that and the municipal courtroom were housed there back in my few years there (and where I worked as a high school "police cadet" in summer 1972).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 06:19:18 am »

Tex-Mex is authentic, having been a specific cuisine since Texas was Mexico. Mexico, like most countries has a number of authentic but different cuisines. I have thought of the pseudo Mexican cuisine that is prevalent here in the US as "yuppie-mex" as it popped up in the 80's.

Cathleen

lloydbob1

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 07:49:56 am »

Everyone...........Try to envision Ward as a Police Cadet!

Great Chili Ward!
Lloyd

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 03:26:10 pm »

Ward would make a good police officer now.

Ward= Sir I pulled you over cause I clocked you doing 60, on this nice flat open road, I'D just like for you to do 75 or so if ya like. Now here is a nice 3 pound sample of Chili to take with ya. Have a great day.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 11:59:36 pm »

Ward= Sir I pulled you over cause I clocked you doing 60, on this nice flat open road, I'D just like for you to do 75 or so if ya like. Now here is a nice 3 pound sample of Chili to take with ya. Have a great day.

That would work great in the Big States, where the driver might have to drive 98 because the next exit with a bathroom (chili, yanno!) is 120 miles away!  ;D ;D ;D

In moose country... I dunno.  ;)

I look forward to a bowl of Ward's red. I'm a practicing amateur, leaning towards smoked butts and brisket. I do the occasional batch of ribs, but I'm not that experienced (and not that motivated, since I prefer cuts that are more meat than bone).

One thing I've never dallied in too much is chili. I can make up a good mess, and then I can make up another good mess, but they won't bear much resemblance. I cook by the "taste, spice, stir" method. Works great for spaghetti sauce, but it doesn't make consistent chili.

Speaking of red, I prefer cubed venison or beef, seared in pork fat, instead of any kind of ground meat. Some cubed tomatoes and diced onions. Absolutely no beans!

This is why there are chili wars.  :)

Speaking of, I hope you've all heard Ron White's bit about chili restaurants in Cincinatti. "I'll have you know, Cincinatti is the chili capital of the woild!" "Gee, I don't think the Texas boys knew you were having a contest! A Mexican could show up with a goat and an onion and kick your ass!"

;D

Kevin

Brien

• I'm a Leo
    • standard transportation
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 02:07:11 pm »

Las Pinatas.  I ate there on a previous exploratory trip up there, but not this time as we lunched at a nice little Thai place next door to Laconia High School, then continued south to Manchester for the mandatory visit to sundry family members (there's another reason I won't move up to the southern part of the state but go north instead).  I would have stopped in for a hello, but they were closed between the lunch and supper meals when we dropped in at the Chamber of Commerce office adjacent in the building to grab a bunch of info and brochures.(When I was attending LHS in the early 70s, the most ethnic anyplace got was Italian or German).  The proprietor of Las Pinatas is a damned nice guy, and I can't consider us direct competitors as we're into entirely different styles -- his is real Mexican, mine is purely Norteamericano.

I don't think of the location as the Old Train Station, as trains were long gone before I arrived in Laconia in 1970.  I think of it as the Old Police Station, as that and the municipal courtroom were housed there back in my few years there (and where I worked as a high school "police cadet" in summer 1972).

Yep, that is the place.  And "nahhh" you don't find very much "ethnic" food up there.  Even the Italian food would make a NYC, Boston, or Providnce RI Italian say, "mui malo".   What I have found are Greek proprietors serving up their version of Italian food.  That is about the best you're going to get up there.  But there are good Chinese, Viet Namese, and Thai restaurants popping up due to the influx of those folks.

I always chefed for myself and when I wanted to go out, I would try and find a good Steak House for good old American Food.   "Gourmet" restaurants are  few and far between.  They just don't go over up there.
No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 05:42:07 pm »

Speaking of, I hope you've all heard Ron White's bit about chili restaurants in Cincinatti. "I'll have you know, Cincinatti is the chili capital of the woild!" "Gee, I don't think the Texas boys knew you were having a contest! A Mexican could show up with a goat and an onion and kick your ass!"

Kevin

"the Mexican wouldn't even need a ride, he could come up on the goat.......... he would need a ride home though.......you cant ride home home on a bowl of goat, thats what I always say."
 ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:52 am »

That would work great in the Big States, where the driver might have to drive 98 because the next exit with a bathroom (chili, yanno!) is 120 miles away!  ;D ;D ;D

In moose country... I dunno.  ;)

I look forward to a bowl of Ward's red. I'm a practicing amateur, leaning towards smoked butts and brisket. I do the occasional batch of ribs, but I'm not that experienced (and not that motivated, since I prefer cuts that are more meat than bone).

One thing I've never dallied in too much is chili. I can make up a good mess, and then I can make up another good mess, but they won't bear much resemblance. I cook by the "taste, spice, stir" method. Works great for spaghetti sauce, but it doesn't make consistent chili.

Speaking of red, I prefer cubed venison or beef, seared in pork fat, instead of any kind of ground meat. Some cubed tomatoes and diced onions. Absolutely no beans!
If you ask around, you will find that there was no ground meat in any of the 50+ pounds of meat in the chili I served up at the Porcfest.  Beans were in a separate pot for them as likes them, not in the chili itself.

I have yet to make venison chili.  Beef, pork, lamb, various combinations of the above, poultry and bear are what I've done so far.  Oh yeah, and various vegetarian styles that have been popular but obviously not to my personal taste -- it's how I decided that in my commercial menu, the veggie chili will have mushrooms for texture rather than tofu or the like.

While I often brown the meat in lard or bacon fat, at Porcfest I used olive oil because it's what I had on hand and didn't feel like making an extra run to Shaw's.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 09:36:40 am »

I *am currently* a lab manager / scientist / grad student. I *will* be an acupuncturist / traditional chinese medicine practitioner (read as chinese herbalist), in about a year. Hurrah for a portable profession ;-)

UCCO2004

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 04:52:04 pm »

Brien and PatK:

I am a prospective Porcupine from Cincinnati, OH who has a second cousin living near Laconia, NH ... and I will probably be up to visit NH in October or November of this year. 

I don't know if Cincinnati is actually the chili capital of the world, but we do have a unique style of chili that includes cinnamon in the recipe.  My parents and I once encountered a stranger on the Chicago mass transit system who immediately associated our hometown with the Skyline Chili restaurant and brand name.  Besides Skyline's archetypal Cincinnati-style chili, there are countless Tex-Mex and even Yuppie-Mex restaurants here that serve white chili, vegetarian chili, etc.

--UCCO2004

lordpoee

• Murray Computer Science Group
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 09:32:12 am »

I have no Degree. But I assure you I know what I say I know.

I am a Computer Systems/Network Administrator, Webmaster(PHP,MySQL the whole Sh'Bang)

Along time ago one could get a job not based on their degrees but on their ability to perfrom the job. I know many guys who have GRADUATED from the lcoal college but couldn't tell you the difference between "port scanning" and "port knocking". Thye cram for the test, pass and forget it.

I on the other hand have lived and breathed computers since I was eleven years old. My first computer: A Commodore 64K with a 32K Memory Cartridge, Running GeOS for Drivers. I used it mostly for writing my sci-fi stories and playing Buck Rogers from SSI. Those were the good 'Ol days. I remember the first time I connected to the internet. I was 13 Years old. (The Wolrd Wide Web had been invented just three years earlier, knew of it but all I had was my Commodore 128 by this time. My parents could not afford a PC) I used a 900 Baud Modem and connected to Dark Knight BBS. I knew then and forever the computer would change the world. It was a canvas for artist, writers,architects and scientist.

That was until I turned 16 that I touched my first PC. An IBM with a 486dx4, (133 Mhz!) and 32 Megs of Ram. Running windows 3.11 for Workstations. I have been sitting in this chair ever since I logged on all those years ago, Windows Crashes so often that I quit bothering to reste the date and time...perhaps I should update to that new fangles "Windows 95" man I really need to shave...(just kidding)

Blitz

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 05:12:55 am »

I am a small business owner in Maryland.  My primary company does installation of low voltage wiring such as, telecom, HVAC controls, fiber optics, security, fire alarm system and anything even somewhat related (like the GPS system on buses).  The other company I own is more of an extension of the first.  It is an equipment rental company.  Right now it only has aerial platforms (man lifts) and skid steer loaders, but I hope to expand that to improve my customer base.  I’ve been looking to hire about 30 more people, but there doesn’t seem to be anyone left in this state.  I can’t take more work if I can’t find more employees. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up