Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay/lesbian acceptance/activities in NH?  (Read 12056 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Gay/lesbian acceptance/activities in NH?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 08:40:18 pm »

Yeah, I've heard about pinkpistols (sorry, not a gun person)
Oh No!  You are an anti-gun-ownership statist now!!!   :o

(just kidding...poking fun at unnamed individual on this forum...)

Not being familiar with guns (or even having a personal dislike for them) is different from calling them "evil" and "authoritarian," and making derrogatory comments about gun owners at every turn, Green.

Speaking as an avid gun owner, nothing adamson has said would make me less than welcoming.  So he's "not a gun person."  Whoop-de-do.  Not my problem.  He's free to like or dislike guns (or feel ambivalent about them) to his heart's content.  That's liberty.  He's welcome in the Free State.

Joe
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:53:22 pm by MaineShark »
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

adamson42

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 10:40:50 pm »

Lordy, I knew I was going to start something when I said I wasn't a "gun person".  I don't like 'em and I won't have one in the house - but that doesn't make me any less of a libertarian!  If you like guns, more power to ya.  Not my cup of tea.

So, if anyone wants to give me any specifics about gay/lesbian stuff going on locally in the metropolitan areas of southern NH, I'm all ears.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 10:55:59 pm »

Lordy, I knew I was going to start something when I said I wasn't a "gun person".  I don't like 'em and I won't have one in the house - but that doesn't make me any less of a libertarian!  If you like guns, more power to ya.  Not my cup of tea.

So, if anyone wants to give me any specifics about gay/lesbian stuff going on locally in the metropolitan areas of southern NH, I'm all ears.

Give a man a fish, or teach a man to fish?

Google for "Manchester NH gay lesbian" (for example) and you'll find plenty of info & contacts.

Most recent news: Civil Union Commission on the road: strongly favored by the people

(Compare that to Oregon which last year banned gay marriage by voting for a constitutional amendment and the OR Supreme Court upholding it)

adamson42

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 07:16:01 pm »

Never mind.  I'm obviously not going to get any decent information from this thread.  Google's useless from a distance of 3000 miles because you never know if a web page is valid or not, or if an organization is valid and doing good stuff, or is near death (like Outright).

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 01:59:23 am »

Never mind.  I'm obviously not going to get any decent information from this thread.  Google's useless from a distance of 3000 miles because you never know if a web page is valid or not, or if an organization is valid and doing good stuff, or is near death (like Outright).

You want someone else to hand you the 'right' info... and yet you've been pointed to people to contact, recent positive events, and finally Google (which isn't perfect, but certainly _is_ info... you could always ask for more... or validation, etc)

Geez, come to NH already if you want to find out for yourself... you've got people saying it's worth checking out, right?

"Obviously", you arent going to be convinced until you do.  Not sure what you expected us to do?  You want first hand knowledge, ask people in the know... and you were pointed to some.

adamson42

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 01:40:29 pm »

Seth, I haven't been pointed to a single person as of yet!  All I've been pointed to is a number of quasi-national organizations which may or may not have anybody on the ground in Manchester.  I joined the outfsp list (of which there was only eight members nationwide, that's how sad that group is), said hello, and got no response.  Is it too much to ask to actually find one real, live libertarian homosexual person in the Manchester area to communicate with?

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 02:42:23 pm »

Seth, I haven't been pointed to a single person as of yet!  All I've been pointed to is a number of quasi-national organizations which may or may not have anybody on the ground in Manchester.  I joined the outfsp list (of which there was only eight members nationwide, that's how sad that group is), said hello, and got no response.  Is it too much to ask to actually find one real, live libertarian homosexual person in the Manchester area to communicate with?

My apology, I talked ot someone yesterday who said he'd contacted you...  I'll follow up in private.

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 10:12:57 am »

There's finally a NH Craigslist, with personals, etc, etc, open to all persuasions, but originally started as queer community out of San Francisco:    http://nh.craigslist.org

There are a number of mailing lists that one can join, depending on what you're into (drop me a direct email, with detail on what you're specifically looking for, and I'll see if I have a list for it).

There's the 2nd annual "Out in the Park" day (GLBT) coming up too!
----------
You Are Invited To Join Us
Gay / Lesbian / Bisexual / Transgendered
Brothers, Sisters, Friends and Families for
OUT TO THE LAKE
A T - C A N O B I E - L A K E - P A R K

Saturday, August 20, 2005!
12:00 PM to 10:00 PM

More info at http://outinthepark.project100.org/outtothelake/

Wear Yellow! (so that we can more readily find others who're there)

Join us for the second annual Gay Day
Out To The Lake At Canobie Lake Park
in Salem, NH on Saturday, August 20th.
(previously known as Pride On The Lake At Canobie Lake Park)

Hope to see you there this year,
and be sure to bring all your friends and family!

Mark your calendars for
Saturday, August 20, 2005
from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
at Canobie Lake Park
in Salem, New Hampshire.
This will be our 2nd year,
you don't want to miss it!

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 07:15:01 pm »

Give Howie Howe (Robert Howe) a call in Manchester. He has some gay friends there and can plug you in.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

ladyattis

• ...have raygun, will space travel...
    • My Little Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 10:23:10 am »

For me, I just want to know that I won't get killed while walking down the street to buy my groceries since I'm transgendered and bisexual[although not openly about either IRL]. Most states tend to have hostile areas and not-so-hostile areas. I just hope that NH, with the surge of liberty minded people, will get a good jolt of public civility in part to our migration to the state. All in all, I hear NH is very GBLT friendly compared to other states, more friendly than even California with San Francisco and such.

-- Bridget

Freedom is the ability to say two plus two equals four. -- Winston, 1984

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
Transgendered in NH
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 08:43:08 am »

Not sure where exactly to recommend on your particular issue, as I've not heard much specifically about trans-community in the state... Thinking about it though, there's a fellow who is a crossdresser who sells his art almost every year at the NH Craftsmen's festival (Crossdressing is not the same as trans, but he isn't a crossdresser that "passes" and it seems that he still sells quite a bit of his glass artwork at the festival, regardless of his appearance). From comments from friends, he wasn't at the festival this year. If I can dig up some contact info for him, he may be able to point you in the right direction as to areas where he has been more accepted / less accepted in the state.
In the more rural areas, people tend to keep more to themselves, and seem to have a "if you're not bothering me, I won't bother you" attitude, but I wouldn't count on that. If I personally had to hazard a guess, I'd say Manchester might be a good option, as there are several gay clubs in the town, and it is a bit more youthful/"happening" city.

For me, I just want to know that I won't get killed while walking down the street to buy my groceries since I'm transgendered and bisexual[although not openly about either IRL]. Most states tend to have hostile areas and not-so-hostile areas. I just hope that NH, with the surge of liberty minded people, will get a good jolt of public civility in part to our migration to the state. All in all, I hear NH is very GBLT friendly compared to other states, more friendly than even California with San Francisco and such.
-- Bridget
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up