Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dress code at Roger's?  (Read 11459 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Dress code at Roger's?
« on: May 24, 2005, 08:28:04 pm »

A friend of mine is interested in possibly attending, and she was curious regarding the dress code at Roger's.  Anyone have an answer?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

punkrawk

• FSP Participant
  • Fear is the foundation of most governments -Adams
Re: Dress code at Roger's?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:48:10 am »

Um, depends on the weather I guess, but there isn't really a dress code.  It's a camp ground.  I suppose they probably enforce some type of decency rules, it is private property, but other than that wear what you want.
-Bryan Stevenson
"to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical" - Thomas Jefferson

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 02:27:15 pm »

Clothing optional. ::)

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 04:42:26 pm »

Well I hear you can wear white , because it's before labor day.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 12:57:11 am »

Clothing optional. ::)

Speaking of that... how do New England sensibilities square with the occasional skinny-dip?

I'm not a Nudist/Naturist/Whateverist, although I don't have a problem with social nudity. I lived in Germany for three years, and frequently partook of the saunas and thermal baths, which were co-ed nude. (On the other hand, I really distrust the "family" nude camps here in the U.S.; my gut tells me they're just a cover for pervs who like seeing naked children.)

But a century ago (and even into the 50s), no one really though much about stripping off to go swimming. I think the sexual revolution hyper-sexualized everything to the point that everything today is about sex in most peoples' minds. If I had a lot of land for privacy, I'm sure I'd spend some time outdoors nude. But that's not "social"; that's just me.

Sorry for the rant. I really only meant to ask the question: how is the occasional skinny-dip or nude sunbathing received by the natives?

Kevin

lloydbob1

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:13:42 am »

Most communities have a place, known to locals where nude swimming takes place.  I know of one on Mt. Desert Is. in Maine
There was a public beach in, I think, RI, called, if I remember correctly, Moon Beach, but, I don't know if it is allowed any more.

DC

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 09:09:13 am »

Most communities have a place, known to locals where nude swimming takes place. I know of one on Mt. Desert Is. in Maine
There was a public beach in, I think, RI, called, if I remember correctly, Moon Beach, but, I don't know if it is allowed any more.

I have a link to the swimming holes in New Hampshire and it tells if the are clothing optional. I don't see any around Lanncaster though. It tell the one in all states if you scroll down to the bottom and click home. Then click on the state.   http://www.swimmingholes.info/nh.html
Governments view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves ,tax it.If it keeps moving,regulate it.And if it stops moving,subsidise it.--Ronald Reagan-- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys P.J. O'Rourke

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:16 am »

This will be my 3rd PorcFest, and I've seen people wearing everything from cut-off-jeans/denim skirts and t-shirts to full-blown suits and dresses. No real dress code. We let the free market decide.  ;D

As for skinny-dipping, I'd say it's pretty accepted here. Most people I've talked to about it (not a major subject for me) were suprised that I didn't try it for the first time til I was in my 30's. And there are supposedly little spots all around where it's the norm, but I have never been to one.

JM

The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 07:23:48 pm »

Speaking of that... how do New England sensibilities square with the occasional skinny-dip?

Well, how about this:

For starters, neither Maine nor New Hampshire prevents women from being topless - it simply doesn't qualify as "nudity" udner the law.  If a man can be topless, it follows that a woman can do the same.  I did not ask, but I presume this is what my friend was curious about - legal or not, it wouldn't be very responsible to antagonize the folks who run Roger's.

And, as a somewhat interesting anecdote, there was a court case up in Orono, a few years back, which had a significant effect on the public nudity laws in Maine.  Two college girls were caught "streaking."  This falls under Title 17-A, Part 2, Chapter 35, Section 854, Subsection 1, Paragraph A, Subparagraph 2 of the MRSA.  The text idicates a violation if a person, in a public place, "...knowingly exposes the actor's genitals under circumstances that in fact are likely to cause affront or alarm..."

These girls argued that, due to the construction of the female body, their actual genitalia were not actually visible.  And they won the case, which now stands as case law, since the Legislature has not re-written the statute to close that "loophole."

In other words, the legislators viewed eliminating a form of harmless public nudity as something which would not go over well with their constituents, when it came time for re-election, so that should tell you something substantive about the attitudes, 'round here.

Joe

(disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, so nothing in the preceding post constitutes legal advice.  It is, to the best of my knowledge, and accurate presentation of the statutes and case law, and I have made a good faith effort to find any contrary case law.  Caveat emptor, and your mileage may vary...)
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 09:06:12 pm »

The way spring is going so far. We might be wearing parkas. ;)
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 12:32:49 am »

And oh, by the way... I do not advocate --and would not support-- nudity in a way or place that shocks the sensibilities. Especially not of the locals, with whom we're trying to blend in.

When I asked, I was just envisioning summer in the White Mountains, hiking and finding a nice blue hole in a rushing stream, and stripping down for a swim without having to pack swimwear in or out.

Kevin

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 06:40:09 am »

Indeed.  The FSP will need to work for gradual changes that will be accepted.  We're not talking baout moving so many people that we can completely overwhelm the voting system, after all.  We'll need to influence others to vote in the way that we feel will bring hte most liberty, in the end.

Joe

FreeBoB

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 12:29:55 am »

Most communities have a place, known to locals where nude swimming takes place.  I know of one on Mt. Desert Is. in Maine

That is (was) Moonstone Beach in Matunuck.  It's a state beach and nudity was accepted but not officially allowed.  You had to walk way down the beach to get to the no lifeguard nude area.  Ah, the good old days... 8)

lloydbob1

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 07:17:55 am »

I knew 'MOON' was in the name somewhere :D
 By the way, Brian was the one, last year, we had to keep asking to put his clothes back on ;D

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 02:45:49 am »

Y'all,

I know everyone has every intention on being reasonable, so I'm sure I don't even need to mention this... But in addition to the above reasons for 'common' clothing at Roger's, I would encourage everyone to keep in mind that this is a *family* event.  We would like people of any 'status', age, race, religion, etc. to feel comfortable at Porc Fest.  That means we need to be reasonable with our dress.  That includes covering up in a reasonable way, but might also include certain 'obvious' messages that could appear on clothing, too. 

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up