Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NPR  (Read 4410 times)

NDLibretarian

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Prirate Ninja not a Ninja Pirate
NPR
« on: May 14, 2005, 06:22:36 pm »

Has anyone thought of getting a peice done through National Public Radio? This is the kind of thing I could see them covering. If we all e-mailed NPR or something we could maybe have a piece done?

What do you think?
The reason man would willingly contract into civil society is not to shake his brutish state, but rather that he may advance his ends (peace and security) in a more efficient manner. To achieve his ends man gives up, in favour of the state, a certain amount of his personal power and freedom.

Michael Reynolds

Re: NPR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 06:52:50 pm »

exposure is great, but from my experiences with NPR they seem to be a left-wing rag. still, if they'd run a story on FSP it would be a net gain I think, publicity being all good and such.

lloydbob1

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 07:18:24 pm »

On the two occaisions that a person I talked to, had already heard of the FSP, it was due to their hearing about it on NPR, when they covered the Grafton, Freetown thing.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:57:51 pm »

This American Life did a FSP years ago, it's where I heard of it.

Hannah

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 05:53:02 pm »

NPR makes me uncomfortable.  Not a lot of real freedom involved in their stories, usually.  However, a whole mess of people do listen to it, and it would be a great publicity opportunity, as Michael noted. 

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 08:36:25 pm »

Actually NPR gave us one of our first major air plays, back in Dec 2002, re a meeting we had
in College Park, MD.

Might not agree with all they do, but for the most part they have been fair with the FSP, and have featured us on a number of occasions.  Mostly in a fair manner, as I recall.

Anyone else remember back that far? ;D 
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:19 am »

While NPR has a decidedly left/authoritarian editorial slant, they do seem to favor "not mainstream" more than anything else.

If there's anything we aren't, it's mainstream!

I enjoy lots of NPR news programming, because it's in-depth and thoughtful. The agenda bias is obvious, so it can be allowed for. I'd gladly contribute if they'd refuse a matching amount of government funding.

The notion of "listener-supported non-commerical radio" is laughable, when they run pseudo-ads disguised as "funding for this program is provided by...." followed by a 30-second litany of why the sponsor is so wonderful. Having worked in radio, I know that commercial radio is much more "listener supported" than public radio. Commercial radio relies entirely on advertising, which relies on listeners. Public radio is subsidized by grants, both governmental and private charitable.

I know we've been covered on NPR before. But publicity isn't a one-time deal: it's continuous. It won't hurt to approach them again. It's even better to approach local public stations that do their own original programing, like WGBH in Boston.

Kevin

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 12:21:43 pm »

NPR is very leftist, but NHPR is pretty fair... They've given us extensive stories several times. We just need to do some news-worthy stuff for them to make a story out of. I guarantee you they will be at PorcFest.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 03:25:05 am »

NPR is very leftist, but NHPR is pretty fair... They've given us extensive stories several times. We just need to do some news-worthy stuff for them to make a story out of. I guarantee you they will be at PorcFest.

Wonderful!

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up