Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any other married folks wishing they could move to NH  (Read 12254 times)

lordpoee

• Murray Computer Science Group
Re: Any other married folks wishing they could move to NH
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 05:43:42 am »

Sure is: Me and my wife would move there, except our current situation with partial custody of her children from a previous marriage makes that difficult.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2005, 12:02:01 pm »

//not mistaken about NH being commuting distance to Boston

It's true. I live in Nashua, NH. I can vouch that it takes 45 minutes to drive to Logan airport, way in downtown Boston, from my apartment.

Anyone that can find a job in Boston or suburbs thereof, and is willing to take a 45-minute commute,
can move to NH and start making a difference now with the rest of us Pioneers!

-Denis

BagOfEyebrows

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 10:39:04 am »

Perhaps this Libertarian-ish business owner will consider opening a branch in NH...

update:  haven't posted in over a year here, a lot of good things have happened since I last posted here.

My Libertarian-ish boss ended up being more politically inclined (and more Libertarian) than I ever could have fathomed back when I first started this thread.  He's running for office here in MA as an Independent.  Which led to some great political discussions between my husband and I, as well as some more discussions on New Hampshire, used for comparison in discussions.  Also, without prompting, my kids have also begun to proclaim a desire to move to New Hampshire.  Turns out my youngest son has a friend who used to live in New Hampshire who talks about it all the time and misses it, and my son said to my husband "The schools are way better in New Hampshire,"  and "New Hampshire has the highest mountain in the northeast so that's where I want to live" (he's an atlas enthusiast.)

A lot has happened in the course of time since May of 2005 to now, July of 2006, and all of it leaning towards a move to New Hampshire, but now it relies on the outcome of an election.  If we can stay here in Massachusetts and fight, as voters, with our boss to bring Massachusetts back to smaller government, we'll do that. I only see smaller government as possible if our boss wins the election.  If he doesn't win, I see things only getting worse and financially more draining as tax payers, and the great news is, my husband agrees.

Work is going great, I ended up getting a promotion myself, not long after my husband's promotion, but both my husband and I have made a decision to move *if* our boss doesn't win in this year's election.   A few things that happened within the past year here in Massachusetts, including last week's collapse of a portion of the Big Dig project, has led my husband to better understand how the big government of this state is costing him and citizens of this state far more than just a few extra bucks taken out of the paycheck each week.  The mandatory health coverage bill, increases in various local government fees, as well as schools closing and an overall threat of losing more freedoms and paying higher taxes in just about everything has finally made my husband recognize that this state is not designed for the intelligent, hard working, law abiding citizen that he is.

He's the most penalized.

So, we'll see what happens in November.  I'm ready for either scenerio.  Either our boss wins the election and we stay on here and start the course to turning this state around, or our boss loses the election and we are a part of what will be the biggest 'Mass Exodus" out of this state, as many other people we know have also mentioned leaving this state based on the outcome of the election.  Some aren't even waiting for the election, they are already planning to leave.  I've told them to consider New Hampshire, and most already were.  I wasn't shocked. 

Anyways, that's the update. 

BagOfEyebrows

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 10:47:51 am »

just wanted to add, Massachusetts might not even get its 'tax free' holiday this year.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/NEWS/607130617/1116

Just will serve as wood on the fire of citizens' desires to leave this state.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 10:55:13 am »

Bag,

While I hope your boss wins the elections.... I also hope he doesn't (you know how that goes). I truly hope that you can make MA have a smaller govt but.....

Check out the First 1000
www.pledgebank.com/first1000

Also you may want to included handing out FSP flyers to libertarian minded people.  Get the bug in their ear now.

BagOfEyebrows

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 02:18:27 pm »

Bag,

While I hope your boss wins the elections.... I also hope he doesn't (you know how that goes). I truly hope that you can make MA have a smaller govt but.....

Check out the First 1000
www.pledgebank.com/first1000

Also you may want to included handing out FSP flyers to libertarian minded people.  Get the bug in their ear now.

I'm hoping he does win, but if he doesn't, at least both scenerios are great.  I'm ready for either ending (and beginning)... not a case of the 'lesser of two evils', this is a case of win/win.  If he wins, and there's starting to be signs he just might, that would be great, I'm so ready to do all I can to see to it the first four years create as many changes as possible to the size and corruption in our MA government, in whatever capacity I can assist. 

That said, I talk about the Free State Project almost every time I meet anybody, it usually comes up in conversation at some point.  I have a bumper sticker about it on both of our vehicles, have the keychains (2 different ones) and wear the tshirts and get asked about it a lot.  I'm sorta a walking/talking billboard for the Free State Project, really.  I also write about it every chance I get on forums where people show signs of being discouraged by politics in general.  Usually re-inspires them.  :)

Sorry for the long delay in response, I'm up to my eyeballs here in things to do around the house, not much time for computer today.

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 03:34:44 pm »

Smaller government in Massachusetts? Isn't that a bit like.. Liberalizing the market in North Korea?
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2006, 04:06:10 am »

Hi bag!  You and I met at Hempfest or whatever they call it at Boston Common.  I'm the shavie hed guy.

If you're in mass instead of just feeling sad about not living in NH, just start coming up here to hang out with us at our events and stuff! 

Check http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?action=calendar

for what's coming up each week around NH.  Most of it is fairly near the border.

You'll feel just as big a rush holding a sign in front of a federal building or coming to a meet and greet, whether you are living in mass or from NH.

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

BagOfEyebrows

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 09:59:11 am »

Smaller government in Massachusetts? Isn't that a bit like.. Liberalizing the market in North Korea?

hahaha :)

BagOfEyebrows

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:27 am »

Hi bag!  You and I met at Hempfest or whatever they call it at Boston Common.  I'm the shavie hed guy.

If you're in mass instead of just feeling sad about not living in NH, just start coming up here to hang out with us at our events and stuff! 

Check http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?action=calendar

for what's coming up each week around NH.  Most of it is fairly near the border.

You'll feel just as big a rush holding a sign in front of a federal building or coming to a meet and greet, whether you are living in mass or from NH.

thanks for the link, I think I've been to that calendar before when i was contemplating a trip up to New Hampshire a few years back.  We do go up to NH about once a year. 

Just spent last night talking with a NH resident about the differences in property tax in various towns up there.  She was very helpful and knows a lot of information about the areas we are considering for a move.  I know this website also has info on stuff like that, but I like the whole person-to-person aspect and eventually will do a day trip or weekend trip up there to talk more with other residents in the area whom we've spoken with online and plan to meet eventually in person. 

I met so many shaved-head folks at that rally... which one were ya?  That was such a fun day, my kids loved it, all the bands playing, the big field to run around and dance.  And getting to meet Amanda Phillips just rocked. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up