Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any other married folks wishing they could move to NH  (Read 12255 times)

Mark in OC

• Hmmm...coffee
    • Kramjam Reiterates
Re: Any other married folks wishing they could move to NH
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 01:49:56 pm »

Wow, thanks
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
- Ben Franklin

pcwallis

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 01:51:26 pm »

Yes both my wife and I are looking at all options about the move to New Hampshire.
Phil Wallis

Jennie89

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 02:01:11 pm »

MarkOC, no problem, anytime :D

Sorry I missed this comment of yours: I work as an Editor / Post Production Technical Supervisor and also do video replay for the Lakers, (a very cool job indeed!)  I'm guessing the opportunities might be more limited in NH, no?

Wow. That job does sound way cool. I'm not in NH myself, but I am in New England. It's true that NH doesn't have any professional sports teams comparable to the Lakers, and your opportunties for big league work would be less. However, it's also true that southern NH is commuting distance to Boston. While the Celtics have been lackluster, there is renewed enthusiasim about pro sports in New England, what with the Sox winning and the Patriots with their Superbowl wins.

/I don't follow sports much, so I could be mistaken about the sports market
//not mistaken about NH being commuting distance to Boston

Mark in OC

• Hmmm...coffee
    • Kramjam Reiterates
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 02:17:27 pm »

I wonder what the traffic is like to Boston.  Only 50 miles?  My drive currently is 63 miles one-way.  We're talking 3hrs drive time each day.  I'd go crazy w/o my iPod, Audible.com and FTL on podcasting.  Of course it would just be like driving in LA, unarmed and leaving my freedon at the NH border.  :'(  That would almost defeat the purpose for going there, except for the weekends and the snow in the winter!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
- Ben Franklin

JackMan

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 02:59:22 pm »

I wonder what the traffic is like to Boston.  Only 50 miles?  My drive currently is 63 miles one-way.  We're talking 3hrs drive time each day.  I'd go crazy w/o my iPod, Audible.com and FTL on podcasting.  Of course it would just be like driving in LA, unarmed and leaving my freedon at the NH border.  :'(  That would almost defeat the purpose for going there, except for the weekends and the snow in the winter!

I hope I'm not beating this drum too much, but the train from Exeter, NH to downtown Boston takes only 1:10 each way, and they supposedly have power outlets next to each seat for laptops.  Monthly pass is $170 (monthly parking in Boston is much more expensive).  I fully intend to commute to Boston this way, just haven't figured out where in the seacoast I want to set up.  If the seacoast is too expensive, Epping and Raymond are one or two exits down the highway west of Exeter and are somewhat cheaper (first thing you see when you take the Epping exit is New England Dragway - I may stop in for a couple runs next time I go scouting). 

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 08:26:26 am »

Let me jump in with some first hand experience. Uprooting is a challenge and places stress on all marraiges. We don't have children at home and were "downsized" at work, so moving wasn't a difficult decision. We have been in NH over a year now and can say that it has been very difficult but worthwhile.

Water polo for the kids wouldn't have kept us away. Even prior knowledge of job, housing, and the financial difficulties we have experienced wouldn't have kept us away. We felt that the prospects available to us outside of NH couldn't compare to the freedom loving, action oriented, and optimistic environment that already exist in NH. We suspected it was a better environment for us and were blown away by the actuality. Far better than even expected. If your prospects are really good on all fronts where you are, why are you tempted by the FSP?

After 15 months looking for work in his area of IT expertise and only working temp jobs out of desperation, my husband has found work in northern MA at 38% less than his previous salary. We are ecstatic. It is a living wage and more for us as we are simple livers.

Driving to Boston isn't tough (an hour or so from many NH towns). It is driving in Boston and parking that is a killer. Lots of construction, roads that don't go through, one way streets, detours. Even good directions don't help much. One hour and a half interview cost us $17 in parking at a garage and we felt lucky to find it. I don't know what contract rates are.

Gasoline going up is a concern. $2.33/gal yesterday. Don currently drives 30 miles or so one way. His worst day, it took 49 minutes. His best days are 35 minutes. Next week we are moving 10 miles or so closer.

Moving to NH was the best thing we have ever done. It wasn't easy, though.

Cathleen

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 04:45:37 pm »

>... but spouse has a job/career they don't want to leave behind?

I'm in a similar position with a spouse who is tied to a state medical license that is nearly impossible to transfer to New Hampshire.  Which is why I am currently registered as a "friend" of the FSP and not a "member". 

So my plan is to get her to fall in love with New Hampshire so she will have the incentive to expedite her retirement.  To that end I have convinced her that there is no downside to owning a VACATION home in New Hampshire.  So I joined the White Mountain Land Club and will be searching for property during the porcfest.   Since your husband just got a promotion (and presumably a raise in pay) perhaps you might try the same tactic.

I'd also appreciate any porcupines who meet Dr. Lockwood next week at the PorcFest do their best to convince her that NH is the place she wants to be!

Jerry

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 07:05:43 pm »

I'm in a similar position with a spouse who is tied to a state medical license that is nearly impossible to transfer to New Hampshire.

Yeah, NH is a little "funny" about licensing.  It's one of the few things that I consider a significant drawback to the state.

I'd also appreciate any porcupines who meet Dr. Lockwood next week at the PorcFest do their best to convince her that NH is the place she wants to be!

Sure thing.  Anything in particular that she's likely to respond to?  A run-down of every high point for NH is probably a bit time-consuming.  Narrowing down the list might make things more manageable.

Joe
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 07:09:00 pm by MaineShark »
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

pcwallis

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 07:33:48 pm »

I am just wondering if there is any other couple out there that wants to move but does not have a netrwork set up.   We do not have a network as of yet. In other words how do you get from where you are - to NH?  Jobs, housing, where to locate.  How have other FSPers fared in their move.  What they would suggest to us who have not moved as of yet.

Is there a central clearing house that we can go to to discuss the move and relocating issues?   This forum seems to be very confusing and has groups talking about other issues, which is fine - but what about the move and jobs and starting a business?  Can we all focus on getting out to NH, then once there we can discuss until the cows come home - the issues.   First things first - it's getting us out to NH by Sept. 2006 all 20,000 of us.

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2005, 11:11:54 pm »

My wife arrived in NH tonight... she has been very 'concerned' about moving to NH.
She just called me and said that it is 'beautiful' and she thinks she is going to love it.

So I say send your spouse for a vist.

Phil... I think that there is a forum spot for that... however I will be moving in 2 months.. ( ok 1.5 months now).  I would be more than happy to answer questions etc once I get there.

pcwallis

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 08:17:22 pm »

Thank You Dreepa

Please talk to me about NH when you get there
We need to have some way of working with FSPers who like what we like - it makes it easier to do something when your with people who are like you.

amanajo

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 09:36:56 pm »

Yes! I just came to this forum with the exact thing on my mind, so I was glad to see your post. My husband is the one not wanting to move. He's come a long way, agreeing in the end with me about many things, I've got to give him a lot of credit for that! Every new peice of truth I've dug up, he's come around in the end... but I'm not so sure he'll ever join FSP. He loves his job too much, and his personal 40 acre kingdom. To be fair, we've moved around a lot already... but I don't think he'll go for it. I KNOW that I know the FSP is worthy, and it's burning in me to join! I thought about joining and hoping he'll change his mind by that time, since it's such a worthy cause. I don't think God demands wifely obedience when a man is dead wrong, otherwise my family would not be where it is now as stronger and on the right track. But I'm definitely hesitating to sign up without him, without some advice first. This sounds so radical and I hate that, but I'm very eager to stand up for good at any cost, if it's called for on my part. Any word of knowledge would be appreciated.

FreeBoB

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 10:24:48 pm »

Yes! I just came to this forum with the exact thing on my mind, so I was glad to see your post. My husband is the one not wanting to move. He's come a long way, agreeing in the end with me about many things, I've got to give him a lot of credit for that! Every new peice of truth I've dug up, he's come around in the end... but I'm not so sure he'll ever join FSP. He loves his job too much, and his personal 40 acre kingdom. To be fair, we've moved around a lot already... but I don't think he'll go for it. I KNOW that I know the FSP is worthy, and it's burning in me to join! I thought about joining and hoping he'll change his mind by that time, since it's such a worthy cause. I don't think God demands wifely obedience when a man is dead wrong, otherwise my family would not be where it is now as stronger and on the right track. But I'm definitely hesitating to sign up without him, without some advice first. This sounds so radical and I hate that, but I'm very eager to stand up for good at any cost, if it's called for on my part. Any word of knowledge would be appreciated.

Hi amanajo,

As much as we'd all love for you to add to our Participant count, I suggest that you wait to sign until you can truthfully commit to moving to New Hampshire.  Hoping you'll move isn't a commitment.  You could certainly sign up as a Friend of the FSP and be as active a volunteer as you care to be.  You'll know when you can commit.

We've got to keep our hope alive with activism.  As long as I live in NY, that's all I've got too.

Brian.

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 10:55:39 pm »

You can support the FSP without moving too.  Though it's great people have moved to N.H., we really need people outside it as well to get the word around, so there's plenty that can be done outside N.H. too.

I'm in a very similar boat.  My wife would move but it'll be kind of tough for her.  We'll see how it works out.

Something else to consider:  The actual statement of intent to move is for 20K people, so if you did sign up it's only a commitment to move, if 20K other people have signed up and agreed as well (something that would be hard to pass up :)).

Anywany, welcome to the FSP forum.  You can always sign up as a friend instead too.  Have fun :)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 09:47:50 am »

Another thought:

Buy a vacation home / cabin / property, spend what time you can there, assisting liberty / freedom / porcupine efforts where you can from a distance (or when you're in town), and then make sure to plan to retire to NH ;-)
Work with the local FSP group to your area to help them get off the ground, maybe rent your getaway to them for a month or two when they first land in NH, when you're not using it. Help keep the group alive and motivated as new blood comes in, and other folks make the move to NH. :-)
Just a few thoughts on what you could do while you're in your current situation, from someone who's already made the move, has a getaway in the woods, and if I ever was tempted to go elsewhere for someone, it would be a temporary thing, until I could lure them up to the wilds of NH!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything