Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College Kid Newbie  (Read 2505 times)

Josie

• FSP Participant
College Kid Newbie
« on: May 20, 2005, 03:14:34 pm »

Hi everyone. I'm a 21-year-old college kid who's always wanted independence and a place to call my own. There are things I like about big cities, but Philadelphia is crazy with taxes and mayoral corruption and new laws in the works against handguns, and I can't take it anymore.

I'm majoring in Computer-Assisted Design (lots of AutoCad experience) and I'm interested in pursuing landscape design. Right now I'm just going after entry-level Cad drafting. I'm big into gardening and small-scale farming, which is crazy for a city kid but I don't care.  ;D

I'd be moving with my 19-year-old sister, who's also small "l" libertarian. She's majoring in hotel management and would like to stay within an hour's commute of a major city, such as Boston, so we're looking at Manchester. When she heard about NH's tax system, she almost stroked out! She said, "I don't care how cold it gets, pack your d***ed bags!" :)

Can two kids expect to get work in NH without local connections?

Thanks in advance,
Josie

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
Re: College Kid Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 03:33:39 pm »

Hiya, Josie.  Welcome to the FSP forum :)

Hi everyone. I'm a 21-year-old college kid who's always wanted independence and a place to call my own.

Well, you're in the right spot.  That's the same thing I'd love to have.  It would be nice to start up a business without having to worry about a bajillion government imposed details.

I'd be moving with my 19-year-old sister, who's also small "l" libertarian. She's majoring in hotel management and would like to stay within an hour's commute of a major city, such as Boston, so we're looking at Manchester. When she heard about NH's tax system, she almost stroked out! She said, "I don't care how cold it gets, pack your d***ed bags!"

No mandatory car insurance either ...

Can two kids expect to get work in NH without local connections?

I'm not there but I've had some success in the past e-mailing my resume.

You can type in a search term like:

(New Hampshire or Massechussets) and (Job or Employment) and (xxxx or yyyy)

Where xxxx and yyyy are terms related to whatever field you're interested in and just spam some companies ;)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 06:15:27 am »

We live in downtown Manchester. Across the street from us is Autodesk. They advertise many CAD jobs every week. I don't know about hotel management jobs. Check the Radisson here.

Cathleen

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 11:11:51 am »

I'd be moving with my 19-year-old sister, who's also small "l" libertarian. She's majoring in hotel management and would like to stay within an hour's commute of a major city, such as Boston, so we're looking at Manchester. When she heard about NH's tax system, she almost stroked out! She said, "I don't care how cold it gets, pack your d***ed bags!" :)

Does anyone know if Mass takes income tax out, if you are a non-resident.  I know that Maine makes NH residents pay Maine income tax, if they work here.  Actually, I shouldn't say that I "know" that.  It was that way a few years back, but it is possible that it has changed.  I haven't really kept up on it since I don't plan to work in Maine, once I move.

Just one of many reasons why I'm moving...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:25:01 am »

Oops, forgot to ask...

What level of experience do you have with firearms?  I'm trying to gauge what level of interest there will be for an organized class at PorcFest...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 11:29:18 am »

Mass DOES take out income tax if you work in Mass, regardless of where you live.

Greenbacks

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 02:25:30 pm »

We live in downtown Manchester. Across the street from us is Autodesk. They advertise many CAD jobs every week.

fyi - Autodesk is a software company and the maker of the CAD program AutoCAD.

they wouldn't be CAD jobs per se but rather supporting the selling of the product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up