Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unschooling  (Read 6207 times)

Evenstar

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Participant
    • My Blog
Unschooling
« on: May 18, 2005, 10:24:53 am »

I've been doing a bit of study about the different methods commonly employed in homeschooling children and have decided that unschooling fits our child-rearing philosophy and goals.  Besides the curiculum requirement in NH (which is on it's way out, if things go right) does anyone know of any obstacles to my unschooling of my children in NH?  My son is 11 months old, so I have time to wait for the laws to change, but I want to know what I'd be facing now, as I can't see it getting much worse before the time comes.

Also, is there a NH unschooling support group that anyone is aware of that I could be put in contact with?

For those who've never heard of the term and are interested, it basically consists of the parents being facilitators of learning, helping the children find the answers to their questions, providing some suggestions of paths to follow, and "strewing their path with interesting things."  All of this is done with the child directing their learning and no barriers placed in the way of their curiosity and love of learning.
Searching for my place in "Life, the Universe, and Everything" one day at a time.
Maybe I've finally found it... in NH! (www.FreeStateProject.org)
Visit my blog.

jeanius

Re: Unschooling
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 02:46:52 pm »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewEnglandUnschooling/

This is the only info I have on groups that include NH.  I'm sure there are national groups too, though.  :) 

I'm a fan of unschooling though I'm more structured, more eclectic than some.   After homeschooling for three years I'm amazed at what they learn without my help or "in spite" of me!  :)

Jean

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:17:45 am »

What's "unschooling?"

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 11:21:26 am »

What's "unschooling?"

Education that eschews traditional, formal methods ("schooling").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling

Kevin

Evenstar

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Participant
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 12:05:48 pm »

That Wikipedia article is the best short description of unschooling I've ever read.  The basic idea is that the student leads the learning and is the one responsible for their education.

In my opinion, opponents need to study children before they enter the formal school environment if they have any doubt that children with exposure to learning materials will learn without being forced to learn in formal situations.  The curiosity of children before they enter school is boundless.  But the whole "it's not time to build with blocks, it's art time now," structure of formal learning helps kill off that curiosity to the extent that there is usually a "decompression" period for previously schooled students before unschooling can truly begin.

It is not what subject matter that the child learns that is important, but that the child learns how to learn and learn in depth. Given that, if later, as an adult, he finds there was some subject or nuance that he missed in his education, he will be able to acquire it on his own.

This is the biggest advantage of unschooling.  I personally was homeschooled for most of my education (learning at home using traditional textbooks) and though I feel I got a better education than most public school students, I still managed to avoid learning how to learn.  I hope to do better for my children in this regard.

EDIT: Punctuation.
Searching for my place in "Life, the Universe, and Everything" one day at a time.
Visit my blog.

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 03:53:46 pm »

That Wikipedia article is the best short description of unschooling I've ever read.  The basic idea is that the student leads the learning and is the one responsible for their education.

Better be careful that it's not labelled as "outcome-based education."

Evenstar

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Participant
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:33:03 pm »

I'm not too terribly worried what other people label it, but I always use the term unschooling.  I can see, however, how someone might conceivably get the two concepts confused if they hadn't really looked into them.
Visit my blog.

BrianMcCandliss

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 08:57:57 pm »

Kinda like how public schools were created-- along with MOST bad laws.
Pages: [1]   Go Up