Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving North??  (Read 3379 times)

BeepBeep

• I'm a llama!
Moving North??
« on: February 28, 2004, 10:02:36 pm »

Sounds like a fabulous organization. New Hampshire is a beautiful state in the summer, however, I can barely tolerate the winters in  NC, this winter in particular. I can imagine how cold it gets in NH. Why don't you establish a "Free USA Project" and in the process get ride of these "knuckleheads" in Washington that are ruining our great country. Please note that I am not making a partisan statement. -- BeepBeep

Morpheus

Re:Moving North??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 11:52:29 pm »

This "Free USA Project" has already been tried. It is called the Libertarian Party. It has failed.

The FSP is its redeemer. There is no other option.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:04:45 am »

The "Free USA Project" was actually part of that US Constitution Project thing in the 18th century.

North Carolina winters must be nice, but not as pleasant as New Hampshire summers I would think. Woo-boy you people must suffer from humidity don't cha?

Morpheus

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 01:14:30 am »

No. That was the formation of the U.S.A., with a Contract guaranteeing freedom.

That Contract has long since been violated, and the Libertarian Party was finally formed to put a stop to it. And it has failed. It still has hope, but its future is the most promising within New Hampshire.

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 09:44:18 pm »

One solution (to the cold winters) would be keeping a cheap vacation home (a timeshare, condo, RV, trailer, etc) in the south somewhere and living in NH the rest of the year.

You can become a resident of NH and still avoid the cold winters that way.

It's more expensive, but it's a possibility.

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 03:24:32 pm »

Sounds like a fabulous organization. New Hampshire is a beautiful state in the summer, however, I can barely tolerate the winters in  NC, this winter in particular. I can imagine how cold it gets in NH. Why don't you establish a "Free USA Project" and in the process get ride of these "knuckleheads" in Washington that are ruining our great country. Please note that I am not making a partisan statement. -- BeepBeep

Well, I'm giving up the beautiful weather of Arizona to work for freedom in NH.  The "Free USA Project" must start somewhere.  If that somewhere is NH, so be it.

Considering the hardships that previous generations had to endure for the sake of freedom, I think I can live with a few months of winter weather each year.  Thankfully there have been major advances in home insulation technology....
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 03:33:14 pm »

Given my limited experience in the political wars in NH, I have come to believe that most of it happens in the colder months, and it is mostly inside work! ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Qoheleth

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 03:41:48 am »

This "Free USA Project" has already been tried. It is called the Libertarian Party. It has failed.

The Libertarian Party has failed because it is unwilling to compromise.  It calls itself "the party of principle," which it undoubtedly intends as a positive motto, but actually serves as an explanation of why they do so poorly.

To take just a single issue as an example, the average voter just might be willing to consider marijuana legalization--if a candidate could credibly claim that it would go no further.  But when an LP candidate takes the "principled" libertarian position and advocates the legalization of all drugs--or his opponent can credibly claim that he supports it--he's lost nearly all voters.  Libertarian candidates can either take principled libertarian positions, and thus relegate themselves to receiving a very small percentage of the vote, or they can be willing to compromise, accept that any gains in liberty are likely to be slow and incremental, and actually have a shot at winning their races.  By and large libertarian candidates have chosen the former course, and the LP has done nothing to discourage this, if not actively encouraging it.

The FSP would do well to learn from the failure of the LP.  First, be willing to compromise politically.  This doesn't mean giving up your ultimate goals--just acknowledging that they're long-term goals, and will not be politically practical in the short term.  Don't shoot yourselves in the collective foot by taking an all-or-nothing approach; take whatever incremental gains in liberty which are politically practical.

Second, any and all issues should be thought of in terms of what's politically practical.  Too often on this board, it seems to me, when someone asks a question of the form, "What will the FSP do about X?" receive answers of the form, "Well, in the ideal free state..." and go on to describe how the issue would be handled in a libertarian utopia.  This attitude seems especially prevalent in discussions around education.  "How should public schools handle X?" someone will ask, and I think some people are too quick to answer, "In the ideal free state, there won't be any public schools."  That's an answer, but not a complete one.  While it may be the ultimate goal, the elimination of all public schools isn't going to be politically feasible when you first move to New Hampshire--and not for years, possibly decades afterwards.  And given that government schools are going to be around for awhile, how they ought to deal with the same problems that affect all public schools is a legitimate question that the FSP should be thinking about.

Sorry that this post has little to do with the original post in this thread, but it's been building up inside me for awhile, and Morpheus' comment about the failure of the LP triggered it.  And I hope I haven't been overly negative--I do think of myself as a Friend of the project, and I wish the Members every success--I'd just hate to see the project fail due to the same unwillingness to compromise which has doomed the Libertarian Party.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 12:07:33 am »

The FSP is its redeemer. There is no other option.

That coming from a man who was banned by the FSP leadership from membership on this forum!  

Nice to hear you say this Morph....and guys although Morph can be a little my-way-is-the-only-way...he's probably right that this is the best option.

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up