Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I would commit, but I fear one thing....  (Read 10179 times)

TexasRHCE

• FSP Participant
  • Free State Brewing Co.? Why NOT!
I would commit, but I fear one thing....
« on: February 23, 2004, 04:10:17 pm »

...that one thing is finding a darn job. I'm unemployed right now, and waiting for a divorce. Freedom is very important to me, but eating and having a roof over my head is more important -- call me strange, but I think Maslow had it right ;)

Rob

Karl

Re:I would commit, but I fear one thing....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 04:21:04 pm »

...that one thing is finding a darn job. I'm unemployed right now, and waiting for a divorce. Freedom is very important to me, but eating and having a roof over my head is more important -- call me strange, but I think Maslow had it right ;)

New Hampshire is as good a place to find a new job as any, I would think.

FreeBoB

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 06:46:43 pm »

Rob

Hi Rob -
It doesn't sound like you should or could move right now.  We've all got to get our house in order before we actually move.  Moving to a new place is not to be taken lightly, and should done with very careful planning and thought.  
Take some time to read the essays on the FSP site, view the videos, and of course, participate in these forums!  If you feel in your heart that you can commit to the project and move at some point, then join!  You'll have years to actually move.  
What's going to happen in NH over the next few years is going to Rock The World and I want to be a part of making it happen   :o
There are lots of jobs in NH - what's your expertise?

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 12:50:31 am »

Rob -

The official move won't begin for at least another 3 years (once 20K has been reached).  At that point, we'll still have 5 years to actually move.  So, we're looking at an 8 year window, minimum.

My wife and I were going to move early this year.  However, after giving it some thought, we are now leaning toward sticking it out here in NJ a little longer.  We both have jobs here, and can save enough money to make the eventual move easier on us financially.

It makes much more sense for us to move to NH with a chunk of cash put away.  We'll be able to spend more time on activism and less time working.

TexasRHCE

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:08:50 pm »

Hi Brian and All,
That makes sense....if I have that kind of timeframe to work with, I can get my affairs in order then. My expertise is primarily in the IT?IS industry, more specifically Linux and FreeBSD administration and engineering. Before doing IT work though, I was a professional brewer -- Could you imagine "Free State Brewery" and the line of beers I could make? :D
The IT/IS thing is a means to an end for me, namely running my own business combining brewing/brewpub and internet -- I am getting to be more and more resistant about having to work for someone else.

Rob

Ogre11

• FSP Participant
  • Ok, I'm in. Ready to move yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 12:25:39 pm »

Yes, with that time frame, go ahead and plan your move now, and then make the committment.  A large number of people are anchored by their jobs and cannot move quickly because of them.  But if you commit to moving, then you can work on how and what you will be doing over the next few years.  I'm sure anyone can find a job in NH, given 8 years!

TexasRHCE

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 08:54:06 pm »

I'm ready to commit. the page where I sign up however, won't take my current Username (wants a new one) and barring that, won't let me commit because my email address is already registered. Any workarounds?

Rob

<Patrick>

• FSP Participant
  • Radical Capitalist
    • Ayn Rand Institute
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 09:05:02 pm »

I'm ready to commit. the page where I sign up however, won't take my current Username (wants a new one) and barring that, won't let me commit because my email address is already registered. Any workarounds?

Rob

You might want to try registering with an alternate email address.
"I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life.  Nor to any part of my energy.  Nor to any achievement of mine… I wished to come here and say that I am a man who does not exist for others."
-Ayn Rand
http://www.aynrand.org
http://capitalism.org

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 09:06:47 pm »

Rob

Hey, that's great. Let's see if we can get you signed up  :).

Is there any reason why someone else would have registered with your e-mail address? Regardless, here's what you can try:

1. go to https://freestateproject.org/members/register.jsp
2. enter your e-mail address
3. you will be e-mailed a username and temporary password
4. go login at https://freestateproject.org/members/index.jsp
5. check out the information there

If someone signed up with your e-mail, you'll see their info there. If that's the case, you should send a PM to Justin on the message board, and he'll help you out.

TexasRHCE

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 02:04:53 am »

Well, I had to provide an email address when I registered for the forums -- it's the only email address that I care to use  :'( ....
So where (or to whom) do I turn now?

Rob

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 08:42:57 am »

Well, I had to provide an email address when I registered for the forums -- it's the only email address that I care to use  :'( ....
So where (or to whom) do I turn now?

Rob

Forum registration is separate from signing up as an FSP member. It's not cross-checking your forum e-mail when you try to sign up as a member, is it?

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 08:49:52 am »

Rob

I'm looking for an IS job in Portsmouth, NH right now.

I'll let you know how long it takes to find one.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 09:17:06 am »

Tex,

Shoot an email to members@freestateproject.org.  Whoever is monitoring that address (should be Tim Condon) will be glad to help you out.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 10:24:04 am »

Amanda Maxwell is monitoring the members@ email address now.  Let us know exactly what happens when you go here and sign up:
https://freestateproject.org/members/join.jsp

You can specify any username you want; it doesn't have to be the same as your forum username.  Maybe we should put that on the page.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

TexasRHCE

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 11:52:01 am »

I get the following:

Error:
The following field(s) must be unique to each user, and have already been taken: Email

Amanda? You out there?  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up