Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging threads  (Read 14382 times)

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
Re:Merging threads
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2003, 01:51:43 pm »

I quess BOD did not like adventage of NH contingent in successful promoting their state of choce :'(

OK, I take it back. I no longer agree with Tony. ;)
OK iI take it back to. Just agree with me ;) We need every agreeable hand we can get :D
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Leonard

• FSP Participant
  • Practical Anarchist
    • Unruled
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 04:42:16 pm »

Threads here were not intended to be mere conversations. Some of us assumed they were to help us answer the "Which State" question with research and other answers. Some that were supposed to be "comprehensive research archives" were hijacked by irrelevant conversations or other posts.  Other threads were "conversations" and flame wars masquerading as "research" or "information".

The medium may not be the message.  But it certainly shapes the message.  In our case we are constrained by what YaBB SE does.  Obviously, it is egalitarian in the sense that a substantial, quality post is not treated any differently than a flame, woof, or bump.  Therefore, de facto, what the forums are is conversation.  It is futile to expect them to be anything else, unless the group of people involved is practically unanimous in what they want.

how can research threads or sections be moderated to prevent them from devolving into "chat rooms", flame wars, and trivial irrelevant posts.

It's worth pointing out that the FSP as a whole did have a "research area" where casual bystanders couldn't "talk" - this was the main site State Reports area.  But it's certainly true that there was a pretty big jump from the permanence and prominance of that area to the forums Which State area.  It would be nice to have something in between.

When you add YaBB SE + moderator, more things are possible, as Jason's experiment shows.  I find the thread-lumping confusing.  Still, I think it shows that if someone had been willing/able to exert tight control, things other than usenet-style back-and-forth conversation might be possible.

If we were to do it again, I would suggest having a main, conversational Which State area for the majority of people to come to for community, conversation, a good argument, flaming, woofing, etc.  This should be loosely moderated as was done for us until recently.  But there should have been a research oriented Which State area that was more tightly moderated, including having one or more moderators that would remove posts and whole threads to keep the focus on just data and a certain amount of discussion about the data.  Threads deemed unsuitable could be moved to the "conversational" Which State.

Anyway, at this point, water under the bridge.  But perhaps a similar sort of structure would be in order once the Free State is chosen - we'll want to have research ongoing into what laws need changing and other such things about the state.  

Incidentally, another thing worth pondering is ditching WaBB SE, at least for the research, and getting some other BB type system that is more systematically supportive of moderation.  I.e. consider a slashdot type of arrangement.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 07:58:37 pm »

"WHICH STATE"  so this was or is or was suppose to be a discussion  were we talked about nothing but research and spreadsheet data.  So why is it called "WHICH STATE?"

Why was not this stated earlier and we could have had another discussion area were people could discuss "WHICH STATE?"  Real life is about so much more that just statistics!

Are we to believe in a Free State one persons words are more important that anothers?  Is this Freedom?  Statistics are more important than what people have to say?  My statistics are more important than your feelings?  Says who?

Is Freedom not about exchanging ideas as well as statistics?  Oh whoopee,  I did some research so I'm the man?  Real actions don't matter because I did the research?  

So the "Thread Police" decide to combine how many thousand posts into one thread, because people don't matter?  Just perhaps some porc's is undecided hasn't voted?  The "Thread Police" in there infinate wisdom have decided that people don't matter only numbers!  How can they look at the whole picture now, and make a decision?

Free State Project?  But only if you play by my rules?

Freedom!!!  When I say the word I tingle inside, but I also let my neigbor speak and I give him fair council, even when I don't agree.  Is that not what Freedom is?

Hey bottom line, real disappointed in the "Thread Police." because they have decided on there own that people don't need to see the whole picture!  People don't seem to matter.  I have all the answers listen only to me!

Is this a Free State Project or simply a place for the chosen few to set around in a circle and say how wonderful they are?

Freedom is about letting all the people speak!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 09:31:24 pm »

On consideration, I think the surgery I started on this forum was too radical, and the right solution lies somewhere between the Hobbesian war of all against all everybody complained about before and the silence of confusion that has reigned today.  I started combining threads last night after Hank bumped many of them that could clearly be combined because they shared the same topic, and then "mission creep" occurred as I kept finding threads I could merge.  8)  But clearly, some of the threads are too large now for conversation to take place, so I'll start the task of splitting those threads back out.  But that will take some time, and much more merging still needs to be done as well.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re:NH vs WY
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 09:37:59 pm »

libertarian40 wrote:

<<True. I'll go back and delete that post.>>

Thanks, lib...looks like the post is still there tho :(
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

revolutionapril19

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 09:55:06 pm »

If you want an FSP forum that has much less moderation, less people, and no trolls (yet) you can find one here:

freestatecafe.org

The revolution is coming...

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2003, 10:35:37 pm »

Uh....today is the first I've heard of this thread- merging project except for maybe some brainstorming that occurred a while back.

I'm unsure this is worth a massive effort to re-shape the natural form of things.  But I will try to respond as appropriately as I can if people actively request that two or more threads be merged.  Just use the report key and be sure to leave me your e-mail.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 10:36:12 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 11:35:37 pm »

On consideration, I think the surgery I started on this forum was too radical, and the right solution lies somewhere between the Hobbesian war of all against all everybody complained about before and the silence of confusion that has reigned today.  I started combining threads last night after Hank bumped many of them that could clearly be combined because they shared the same topic, and then "mission creep" occurred as I kept finding threads I could merge.  8)  But clearly, some of the threads are too large now for conversation to take place, so I'll start the task of splitting those threads back out.  But that will take some time, and much more merging still needs to be done as well.

Jason, your time is too valuable to spend it splitting threads.  Chalk it up to experience, and move forward.  This forum isn't worth investing much time in, IMO, either for merging or splitting, because it'll be locked in a month.  If it really needs to be re-organized, get a volunteer to do it then, AFTER people are done actively posting.  Let Dada worry about threads that obviously need merging until then.

Just my 2 cents.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 07:36:30 am »

"For Freedom's battle once begun,
Bequeathed by bleeding sire to son,
Though baffled oft, is ever won."
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2003, 11:10:53 am »

In NH there are silver $10 coins in circulation. I keep one of them since my attendance to "escape" :D
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2003, 03:03:17 pm »

Please know that when this vote is over, that I take nothing that has been said personally, and hope others will feel the same.

But also note that I have learned a valuable lesson, that I believe well help me much as I learn to become a political activitist!

How a few, that have some control, can bury a massive amount of meaningful information.  How a few can hide information that other porc's might like to see before they vote.  How a few can cut off meanful dialogue, simply by hiding it.

Perhaps it is a lot easier to say the word Freedom, than it is to live it! :(
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything