Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging threads  (Read 14651 times)

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
Merging threads
« on: September 09, 2003, 10:36:09 am »

s
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 04:35:01 pm by libertarian40 »
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re:NH vs WY
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 10:50:35 am »

That's nothing compared to over 2000 replies!  Why not just merge EVERY single Which State? thread at this point?

I thought 53 pages was unmanageable, until I saw a thread with 135.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Why these threads are being merged
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 11:13:07 am »

Maybe if all the pro-NH, pro-WY, and NH vs WY threads are condensed into three massive, unmanageable, unreadable threads, people will stop promoting states and start talking about factors instead. ;)

The ultimate goal is to have 10 threads on each of the states, as well as any additional threads for one-on-one state comparisons (NH vs WY, WY or MT, etc), then one thread for each factor, variable, or cluster of variables important for state choice.  We still have a long way to go, but this forum has already become just a little bit more navigable.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
Re:Why these threads are being merged
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 11:35:01 am »

Maybe if all the pro-NH, pro-WY, and NH vs WY threads are condensed into three massive, unmanageable, unreadable threads, people will stop promoting states and start talking about factors instead. ;)

The ultimate goal is to have 10 threads on each of the states, as well as any additional threads for one-on-one state comparisons (NH vs WY, WY or MT, etc), then one thread for each factor, variable, or cluster of variables important for state choice.  We still have a long way to go, but this forum has already become just a little bit more navigable.
No it is not more navigable. Important subjects disapeared and it is not helping to objectivly chose for the people who are not active here and just check this forum before voting
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 12:01:54 pm »

Hopefully after the state is picked someone will start a new forum that is not run by control freaks.  :)

Geez, I thought everyone wanted this forum to be radically condensed.  If not, we can just split the threads back up.  No need to call names.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 12:19:03 pm »

Well, maybe there's some way to break down the really large threads into coherent medium-size threads.  Suggestions on that are welcome.  But combining and splitting threads does take a lot of time, so maybe I should just stop, given that the marginal cost to me might be greater than the marginal benefit to everyone else.

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 12:35:01 pm »

Well, maybe there's some way to break down the really large threads into coherent medium-size threads.  Suggestions on that are welcome.  But combining and splitting threads does take a lot of time, so maybe I should just stop, given that the marginal cost to me might be greater than the marginal benefit to everyone else.
Wow. There is the COST involved? GREAT!!!!!!
This might prevent further thread manipulation.
It could be made managinable if the threads (all of them) and especially "which state" had the directory pull down just like main page in this forum. Than everybody could click on particular thread and go there directly. I was writing on similar forum and they had pull down directories on every level
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re:Merging threads
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 01:04:07 pm »

I was keeping up with quite a few threads, but when some devolved beyong the point of usefulness, I ignored them unless they started hitting the top of the page, and then I'd usually just check in to see if anything useful was going on, unless it was a Hank Bump, in which case I'd ignore it and hope everyone else did so it would move back to the rear of the pile.

The mega-merge messed that up.  I'd hit "new" and be taken to page 53 of 135, where 90% of the messages were stuff I've read, but because some unread thread was merged into the middle, it became the new point, messing up my ability to just check what's new.

Now when someone posts a new thread that duplicates an existing thread, by all means merge it into the existing thread.  But there's no reason to take very large existing threads and merge them together so the flow of conversation is broken up and difficult to follow.  If you want to break stuff up into states, just make sub forums for each state.  The only problem with that is cross forum posting, or people just not reading postings of states they're not interested in.

Since there's less than 2 weeks more where this forum matters, why make radical changes now?

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 01:10:00 pm »

Necessity is the plea of every...

How does that quote go again?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

jhfenton

• FSP Participant
  • Civilly Disobedient
    • The Long Run
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »

I have to agree with Tony and JonM. I'm used to fora with threads that come and go. I pick the ones I'm interested in and chime in. If I'm a newcomer, I typically ignore threads with 100+ messages as unwieldy. I simply don't have time to wade through them. Combining all the little threads into 10 state specific threads plus however many comparison threads makes the Which State? forum unusable. A thread is a conversation, not a comprehensive research archive. I go away and now come back to wonder where the conversations are.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 01:17:37 pm by jhfenton »

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 01:18:02 pm »

Necessity is the plea of every...

How does that quote go again?
invention? ;)
I quess BOD did not like adventage of NH contingent in successful promoting their state of choce :'(

jhfenton

• FSP Participant
  • Civilly Disobedient
    • The Long Run
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 01:19:43 pm »

I quess BOD did not like adventage of NH contingent in successful promoting their state of choce :'(

OK, I take it back. I no longer agree with Tony. ;)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 01:29:35 pm »

Yuck.  :-\

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 01:45:19 pm »

I would not want the job of a forum moderator.

Not only is it a lot of work but you have to measure necessity versus outcry, junk messages versus valuable research, and somehow meet a balance.

Perhaps it is easier to just leave the "boisterous sea of liberty" as it is.  ???
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 01:49:47 pm »

Jason,
Condensing threads is helping.
Longer pages of threads also helps a lot.
The way it was, was a mess that buried good information under piles of too often frivolous or redundant threads.
Did we need a dozen threads on "Escape to NH"?
Or a half dozen threads on borders and coasts?
Or a half dozen threads on gun laws.
Many of these with only one or two replies, if any?

A person wanting to find comments about state gun laws had to wade through eight hundred thread titles!!!!!
The search function for just "gun" and only in "subjects" (thread titles?) doesn't work.  It doesn't help that some thread titles are so obscure.
Example:
"Tidbits"
What can we assume is in that thread?

In hindsight, I agree with Jason, we should have had a few dozen threads set up ahead of time, one for each state and one for each major issue (like coasts, guns, drugs, etc.) and no free-for-all of adding hundreds of more threads.

If this was just a chat group, it would be fine to have thousands of threads.
Information is for naught if we can't find it.
"Which State" became a popularity contest governed by which state's advocates could out bump and out thread the other states. Meanwhile some serious questions about borders and coasts is buried way back there. Even Johnadams seemed to recognize the import of that long buried thread.

What happened on this forum is what happened in Clinton's impeachment. The really important issues were buried by the trivial stuff.

I didn't mind vacation reports when they included important answers or questions for "Which State".  But the inclusion of restaurants visits, and "what I did on the way to the restroom" (okay, an exaggeration) obscured the information about how a state legislator felt about the FSP.  That kind of irrelavant chatting was best for the crackerbarrel BS discussion, not "Which State".  Too often the chatting back and forth was an obvious attempt to keep a thread bumped. At least I tried to add something to the discussion or raise a question when I bumped a thread.  One word posts are blatant "bumps" for no other reason but that.

Can we do better in the other sections?

Somebody asked "Where is Hank" over in the strategy section when they finally noticed and bumped the "Political Experience" thread which had been dormant for months.  That it was dormant so long is a sad thing by itself.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 04:14:10 pm by Hank »
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up