Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Here Has Gotten Their Ballots already?  (Read 30633 times)

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
Re:Who Here Has Gotten Their Ballots already?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2003, 11:34:54 am »

LOL - I assume you mean that the 29th of July is on a weekend in which case I propably glanced over and read an August calendar by mistake - I mean that they were sent out by last Friday (6 days ago) - NOTE: the US post office does not include sundays in its extimate of two weeks...

If you are insinuating that I need a calendar because of the supposed 'lateness' of the mailing, I strongly disagree - a customer who arbitrarily sets deadlines which I have not seen or agreed to or allows time for potential problems or refinements of the printed piece/database is not in a position to then say that we have not held up our side of the contract in regards to the actual mailing date.  We have worked extremely hard on this project and were forced to totally restructure our work flow because of the supposed deadline.  This 'cost' is usually passed on to the customer in the form of 'rush' fees, which I try to avoid and I just 'suck' up the costs, sometimes taking it in the shorts to provide the service my clients desire.  This isn't exactly a good business practice and ultimately is an obstacle to the amount of 'success' my business might otherwise experience - BUT, it is in line with my personality and how I personally treat others and am willing to receive less profit to adhere to my own principles etc...  I believe in the value of service, perhaps more than the market does...

michael

PS: I have found that my business practices have garnered me a very loyal customer base, albeit slightly smaller than I might hope.  I would rather restrict my market to deal only with those who really appreciate my efforts.  I am excited about the upcoming 'Ladies in Liberty' calendars which it looks like I will be producing for Rachel Mills, this product will more accurately reflect the quality and type of business I enjoy to do.
nothing to say...

jhfenton

• FSP Participant
  • Civilly Disobedient
    • The Long Run
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2003, 01:30:07 pm »

LOL - I assume you mean that the 29th of July is on a weekend in which case I propably glanced over and read an August calendar by mistake - I mean that they were sent out by last Friday (6 days ago) - NOTE: the US post office does not include sundays in its extimate of two weeks...
Bingo. Wrong month. Last Friday was August 1, the apparent date of mailing. August 29 is the last Friday in August.

directaction

• WIN LIBERTY
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2003, 10:58:34 am »

Leonard Pm,

I have some innocent questions.  Like, what's the big deal?

Why didn't the FSP buy some pizzas for some folk, stuff the mailing of the ballots, and be done with it?

A bid?  For a mailing which they "thought" was first class which now, it seems, is "no class".

What's the big deal?  Hey, I don't know your business, but some people want their ballots.  That's the purpose of this thing.  I think the honchos of the FSP really outmaneuvered themselves on this one.  May be that one or more needs a lesson in the real world. Try Round Table next time.  It'll save the heartache.

As for me, thanks for posting what you did, I can wait.  And I appreciate what I am sure you went through dealing with some unappreciative customers.  It's just that 5,000 (fewer, actually) ballots ain't that big a deal.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2003, 11:53:54 am »

The problem with any sort of slippage on vote dates is that we are now getting a lot of press, especially local press in the 10 candidate states.  They're going to be waiting for the votes to be counted.  So far I've heard people say in interviews that we'd have a state chosen by August 15th or September 1st.  Those dates are when these news outlets are going to expect a chosen state.  If we can't provide one by around then, we'll start to lose credibility.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2003, 12:58:43 pm »

The official dates are last ballots due by 9/22, announcement 10/1.

[grumpy rant]

As for the person who recommended stuffing envelopes, where were you when we were begging for volunteers for the million tasks we need done?  Almost every time we've relied on a volunteer for a task, they've bailed on us.  There are exceptions, of course, like Eddie and the Houston Group, the newsletter volunteers, and a few others.  But recently we asked people to help answer calls to the 800 number.  Two people committed and then bailed at the last minute -- only the third one followed through.  Ditto with getting help putting brochures into the mail for people who request info -- we went through a couple iterations of people who promised to help and then at the last minute pulled out before someone finally followed through.

The ballots were too important to trust to volunteers -- volunteers necessarily think that they can bail if they don't feel like meeting their commitment, since they're not getting paid.

Also, the ballots were complicated, including several pieces needing to be printed and assembled, not to mention the confidential mailing list.  So it was better to go with a printer, esp. one who was a member.

Now, as for the specifics:  I was not involved with the ballot process.  I should have been, because I think I'm the only one on the Board with any experience in project management and dealing with printer deadlines.  But I was moving at the time this all went down, and I wasn't on the ballot committee to begin with.  Thus, Jason and the rest of the committee -- who volunteer hours and hours of time every week, for years, now -- made some mis-estimations on turnaround time, etc.  That's not unexpected, given the lack of experience on this kind of thing.  They didn't think to ask if it was first class mail or not -- foolish mistake, but a perfectly reasonable one.  Also, to be honest, Mike let some deadlines slip as well.  So both sides mis-estimated.

DA, you need to quit bitching and expecting us to be perfect.  Jason has tanked his chances at a career because of the FSP.  I've had employment problems myself, and could cause them for my husband if his employer knew.  Another Board member has been arrested handing out FSP literature.  We are all super-committed, and happy to be involved, but we're not perfect and we do make mistakes, especially when we're so burned out without people to help us take over basic tasks.  Hindsight is 20/20.  If you think you can do it better, feel free to pitch in.

[/end grumpy rant]

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2003, 01:00:19 pm »

The problem with any sort of slippage on vote dates is that we are now getting a lot of press, especially local press in the 10 candidate states.  They're going to be waiting for the votes to be counted.  So far I've heard people say in interviews that we'd have a state chosen by August 15th or September 1st.  Those dates are when these news outlets are going to expect a chosen state.  If we can't provide one by around then, we'll start to lose credibility.

We always planned on 9/15, so I don't know where the othr dates came from.  2 weeks isn't that big a push -- and better to be sure that we'll have the data by then.

directaction

• WIN LIBERTY
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2003, 01:49:49 pm »

Elizabeth the Board Member,

If it was you who posted that message calling for volunteers, I posted a response offering to do the calling and specifically mentioning that I did not need reimbursement for the calls---I posted that to the email address of whatever board member asked for volunteers; that person (you) never responded.

How old are you?  Eight?

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2003, 01:55:37 pm »

If it was you who posted that message calling for volunteers, I posted a response offering to do the calling and specifically mentioning that I did not need reimbursement for the calls---I posted that to the email address of whatever board member asked for volunteers; that person (you) never responded.

How old are you?  Eight?

That was not my post.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2213

Obviously, at least I'm old enough to read.  You?  :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2003, 01:57:37 pm by Elizabeth »

directaction

• WIN LIBERTY
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2003, 02:04:58 pm »

And, if you need a repost of the mailing address (in Denver) and phone number, I'll do that.  I make a living (and have for more than 24 years) doing campaigns.  I noticed that more than one "twit" had posted a response taking you to task for the way you asked for help. Bemused, I offered my own help.

I am very experienced with 'volunteers' doing nothing (many, many campaigns ago I developed the sense that volunteers almost NEVER accomplish anything, except the drain on my pizza account----except, I've noticed that if the pizza and venue---usually my place or motel is good enough, a whole lot of volunteers can do the job of a few paid people, if the job is simple enough).  That fact is my bread and butter---see, real campaigns need real people.

It was out of respect for the concept of the FSP that I graciously offered to do what I do for you for nothing---in your stead.  Really, you can contact me if you want help...But, act like an adult.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2003, 02:43:32 pm »

Elizabeth,
Yes, I agree with you as to the 'reasons' behind the tardiness and I will assume some responsibility in that delay - this whole process could have been accomplished in a much better fashion - BUT - considering that you and Jason and all others are volunteers and (jason) has not apparently had the pleasure, or displeasure of dealing with the real-world problems that can crop up easily in a project of this size, I think we have pulled this off pretty well.  I am still grumbling about some aspects (this has changed from one mailing to: one major mailing with some additional follow-ups as more members sign on) but will capitulate and do my best to satiate your desires (not yours personally, the FSP Board... LOL).  

I am glad that you are more realistic in your expectations - makes me feel that some of the herculean efforts and costs I incurred were not in vain.

a happy FSPer,
michael
nothing to say...

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2003, 03:55:16 pm »

Oh, then everything is fine, I probably just heard the dates wrong.  I was just warning in case we start to justify slippage, as a few people mentioned above.  

We always planned on 9/15, so I don't know where the othr dates came from.  2 weeks isn't that big a push -- and better to be sure that we'll have the data by then.

Curtis Jewell

• FSP Participant
  • I'm not a llama, I'm a porcupine!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2003, 04:34:47 pm »

In my case, I haven't yet, but with my city and state being FPO, AP [I'm in Japan with a military base mailing address] my address is probably what they use to get that "two weeks" high end! [that and we just had a typhoon here three days ago!]

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2003, 09:29:06 pm »

Typhoon!  :o

All ok, I presume?  Typhoon is Pacific for hurricane, right?

Duodecimal

• FSP Participant
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2003, 04:32:12 pm »

Owings Mills, MD - got my ballot in today's mail.

jhfenton

• FSP Participant
  • Civilly Disobedient
    • The Long Run
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2003, 04:34:00 pm »

Woo hoo!

Of course I only joined last week, so I have to wait a bit longer. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10   Go Up