Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just visited new Hampshire  (Read 5642 times)

jordanz

• Bowmore 30
    • My Home Page
I just visited new Hampshire
« on: July 05, 2003, 10:24:47 pm »

I just found out about FSP while at the Objectivist Center Conference in Waltham, MA. Being only an hour from New Hampshire, my wife and I took a trip there today (seaport area).

It's a very beautiful place. I could easily live there (especially near Portsmouth). I was surprised that there is a sales tax on food. I don't remember the rate, though. Also, I saw a state run liquor store. Is this the norm? Are there private liquor stores?

I'm not ready to commit yet. But, if the chosen state is New Hampshire, I may see you all there...

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
Re:I just visited new Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 10:28:55 pm »

I just found out about FSP while at the Objectivist Center Conference in Waltham, MA. Being only an hour from New Hampshire, my wife and I took a trip there today (seaport area).

It's a very beautiful place. I could easily live there (especially near Portsmouth). I was surprised that there is a sales tax on food. I don't remember the rate, though. Also, I saw a state run liquor store. Is this the norm? Are there private liquor stores?

I'm not ready to commit yet. But, if the chosen state is New Hampshire, I may see you all there...
Hope to see you in Wyoming.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 10:29:17 pm by ZionCurtain »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 10:45:54 pm »

Hi Jordanz:

I am really glad you enjoyed New Hampshire so much. Portsmouth is a beautiful town... I am actually on the other side of the state, in Keene.
To answer a few questions, the rooms and meals tax only applies to prepared food (restaurants) and hotel rooms, and is 8%. This way, we get the tourists to pay our taxes for us. :D
However NH has NO OTHER SALES TAX and has NO TAX ON INCOME, except on interest over $2400/yr. NOT a problem for most people! ;) There are even ways around that for those who spring for an accountant. ;)
The state currently runs all hard liquor stores, but beer, wine, etc may be sold in any store. However, the LPNH has our eyes on that. ;)  
Our Governor Craig Benson, who just met with the FSP last week (he is the ONLY Governor in the nation to do that - You can see pictures of the meeting at http://www.lpnh.org/escape.htm), has an efficency in government commision reporting on him on how to make government smaller, less expensive and more accountable. He appointed his former Libertarian opponent, John Babiarz, to the commision. They will likely recommend in their report (which I believe is due this month) that the state end it's liquor monopoly.
If you like, you can look around New Hampshire from the comfort of your home at http://www.freestatenhlive.com .
Although Liberty will be wonderful in any state, if we are fortunate enough to choose New Hampshire, we will be happy to welcome you home to the "Live Free or Die" state.

James Maynard
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 10:53:52 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 01:40:23 am »

Hi Jordanz:

To answer a few questions, the rooms and meals tax only applies to prepared food (restaurants) and hotel rooms, and is 8%. This way, we get the tourists to pay our taxes for us. :D
However NH has NO OTHER SALES TAX

What about beer, cigarettes, and gas?  I thought they had sales taxes on all of those things.

and has NO TAX ON INCOME, except on interest over $2400/yr. NOT a problem for most people! ;)
When did they stop taxing dividends?  James, are for sure about that?  Are you talking about small business and corporate income taxes, also?    

Jordanz, Welcome to the Free State Project Forum.  I hope you stick around and read some of the state reports.  Do not forget to take trips to other near-by states like Vermont and Maine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 01:41:28 am by FreedomRoad »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 11:59:05 am »

hmmm... Good point on the beer, ciggys and gas (found in every state), but I believe NH has some of the lowest taxes on those, and the state house just rejected a cigarette tax increase (and one might think that would be the easiest of all to get through). BUT there is NO GENERAL sales tax at all. I can buy a window fan, kazoo or a bird cage, for example, and not pay any tax. Most other states tax EVERY sale.
Interest and Dividends are only taxed over $2400... Not that I, or most people I know, have ever MADE that kind of money. Even the ones who do usually get an accountant to play with numbers until they don't pay it. I'd be shocked if that applied to more than 5% of the population.
As for business taxes, every state has them... They also only come into play, IIRC, over $50k year for BPT and $150k/yr for corporate tax. BUT the law also says you can take a "reasonable amount" for your own pay before you pay the tax... You would be AMAZED how many NH small businesses come in just under the wire. ;)

JM

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 12:36:10 pm »

They also only come into play, IIRC, over $50k year for BPT and $150k/yr for corporate tax. BUT the law also says you can take a "reasonable amount" for your own pay before you pay the tax... You would be AMAZED how many NH small businesses come in just under the wire. ;)
JM

As a sole proprietor in New Hampshire running a small business that grosses in the six figures, I can tell you that I claim my profits as "reasonable compensation" and pay $0 in NH taxes.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Mogray

• Sushi eater
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 04:50:48 pm »

Hi Jordanz:

However NH has NO OTHER SALES TAX ...

James Maynard

I thought I read that when you buy a car there is a "Title Transfer Tax", but that's not a sales tax since its got a different name, right?

-- Mogray

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 09:12:40 pm »

Hhmmmm.. I just bought a car a few months ago, and I don't remember ever paying one... For ANY of my cars in fact... If you can find the law/forms etc., let's see 'em!

JM

Mogray

• Sushi eater
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:27:52 pm »

Hhmmmm.. I just bought a car a few months ago, and I don't remember ever paying one... For ANY of my cars in fact... If you can find the law/forms etc., let's see 'em!

JM

I take that back.  From a New Hampshire new residents page:

Sales Tax
There is no automobile sales tax in New Hampshire.

Whoops!!!   :-\  My confusion, probably due to faulty memory.  It turns out what I was thinking of is the "real estate sales tax"!

From http://www.state.nh.us/revenue/gti-rev.htm

Real Estate Transfer Tax

What is it?  A tax on the transfer, sale or granting of real property or an interest in real property. The tax is $.75 per $100 of the price or consideration of the transfer.
Who pays it? The tax is assessed on both the buyer and the seller, with a minimum charge of $20 each. The tax is paid at the Register of Deeds office in the county where the property is located.
When is the return due?  A Declaration of Consideration, Form CD-57, and a Real Estate Transfer Questionnaire, Form PA-34, must be filed with the Department of Revenue Administration within 30 days from the recording of the deed.  
Where do I obtain the forms for filing? You may obtain Form CD-57 from our forms page or by calling the forms line at (603) 271-2192 or by visiting the Department between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.  An original (not photocopied) Form PA-34 must be obtained for filing.  Contact the department at (603) 271-2687 if you need an original Form PA-34.
Who do I contact with questions? Collection Division, PO Box 454, Concord, NH 03302-0454 or call (603) 271-3701
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 06:28:26 pm by Mogray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything