Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions  (Read 2166 times)

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
questions
« on: June 11, 2003, 10:42:37 am »

I had so many questions swimming in my head last night, but this morning I cannot remember them all, which is so typical for me.  I'll start with the ones I remember this morning, and after my coffee starts to unfreeze my brain, hopefully I will remember the rest.

One of the big questions I have is about relocating.  when the state is chosen by the 5,000 members, will research and suggestions on reloaction be a part of FSP.  I don't mean assignments here, I mean suggestions and offered research on job markets, housing options, where more activists would be needed to be effective, etc. to help people be more savvy when relocating.  I saw some of this already on the prospective state discussion list, but was wondering if this would become more formal after the state is voted in.

Is each state pretty standard in how long it takes to establish residency and voting privledges?  I have not found that information in anything I have read so far.

Will there be any research done on the specifics of the job market in the chosen state, or is each member on their own with this?  Or what businesses are in need in the chosen state, for those who are interested in opening their own business?

I apologize, in advance, if the answers to these questions are somewhere easy to spot.  I have been reading like a mad woman all these different posts, to get a better idea of FSP and if it is the right fit for my husband and me, and everything is all jumbled in my head right now :D  

Regards-- LisaLew

cathleeninsc

Re:questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 11:56:11 am »

There are some very expert researchers contributing to these forums. Some of us will want guidance and suggestions as you suggest regarding communities and a move stategy. Some will reject such input. We are pretty libertarian in that respect. I am confident that it will be available.

What it boils down to is that our future is up to us. Whatever we can make of it. I am very excited about the prospect of having more opportunites and control over my life.

Cathleen in SC

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 12:03:19 pm »

One of the big questions I have is about relocating.  when the state is chosen by the 5,000 members, will research and suggestions on reloaction be a part of FSP.  I don't mean assignments here, I mean suggestions and offered research on job markets, housing options, where more activists would be needed to be effective, etc. to help people be more savvy when relocating.  I saw some of this already on the prospective state discussion list, but was wondering if this would become more formal after the state is voted in.

Yes to all of that. ;)  The Research Committee's mandate will move to researching locales in the state in terms of livability, economics, and politics.

Is each state pretty standard in how long it takes to establish residency and voting privledges?  I have not found that information in anything I have read so far.

Yes, this is pretty much consistent across states.  You can register to vote when you get your new driver's license.  This usually takes a couple of weeks.

Will there be any research done on the specifics of the job market in the chosen state, or is each member on their own with this?  Or what businesses are in need in the chosen state, for those who are interested in opening their own business?

Yes, more research on this will be done.  Another thing we want to do is to set up a database of prospective employees and employers so that they can search for people of certain skills or interests.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 02:06:44 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  After reading Cathleen's response, what I was trying to discern is how much research is being conducted, or will be done, so that we are not reinventing the wheel, so to speak.  It does not make sense to have thousands of people all doing the same research, or repeating research that has already been completed.

Another question that I remembered from last night is, has any polling of members been done to see what jobs and professions they hold?  What I mean here is, had there been anything, formal or informal, seeing what kinds of areas FSP members have skills in.  If you have 2,500 computer programers out of 5,000 people, and the chosen state only has available say, 500 open positions in that field, and research indicates it is a stagnant field for that profession, then FSP people are going to need to make plans to adapt, or rethink the chosen state.  I know my example is an exageration, but you get my drift, I hope.  If FSP attracts a large amount of people in certain job areas, then that is something to keep in mind when choosing a state.  

I hope I am explaining my questions and thoughts clearly enough.

Thanks again for the responses.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 02:53:50 pm »

No member surveys have been done yet, but given the persistent interest in this, I think it may desirable to have some kind of survey: probably an online one announced in the voting packages.

To find out which states have which kind of occupations in greatest and least abundance, check out this Occupational Projections page:

http://almis.dws.state.ut.us/occ/projections.asp

It's a little outdated but will give you a good sense of the differences among the economies in our candidate states.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up