Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 3513 times)

AlaskanWoman

Health Care
« on: May 23, 2003, 01:23:03 pm »

Here in my state, health care is very spendy. Often times a person has to be flown out of state.

So...........what will you and your kind do to make this more affordable, more easy to get?

And welll just more for the people?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Health Care
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 01:28:07 pm »

Before the New Deal, health care was very cheap in America.  Almost all Americans participated in mutual-aid societies that used their buying power to get doctors' services for their members for cheap.  Now, we can't return fully to this system, but there are a few reforms we can make:

1) Eliminating mandates that force insurance companies to cover various conditions, let individuals & families choose their health care plans that suit their needs best
2) Ending programs that soak the taxpayer and make health care essentially free for some - if going to the doctor is free, you're gonna do it every time you get a runny nose
3) Cut red tape in insurance
4) Tort reform - reduce the number of multimillion-dollar lawsuits against doctors who are just doing their job
5) Legalize arrangements like collective bargaining for health care - believe it or not, this was made illegal because the AMA thought it reduce doctors' salaries too much
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

AlaskanWoman

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 01:37:17 pm »

So what WILL you people do to help with so say

more and better doctors, more quilfied nurses, more meds that is affordable, operations (where the patient does not have to be flown OUT of state (here in my state I am talking).

What about out in the bush?

Health care out there is pretty much, non-existant.

Before the New Deal, health care was very cheap in America.  Almost all Americans participated in mutual-aid societies that used their buying power to get doctors' services for their members for cheap.  Now, we can't return fully to this system, but there are a few reforms we can make:

1) Eliminating mandates that force insurance companies to cover various conditions, let individuals & families choose their health care plans that suit their needs best
2) Ending programs that soak the taxpayer and make health care essentially free for some - if going to the doctor is free, you're gonna do it every time you get a runny nose
3) Cut red tape in insurance
4) Tort reform - reduce the number of multimillion-dollar lawsuits against doctors who are just doing their job
5) Legalize arrangements like collective bargaining for health care - believe it or not, this was made illegal because the AMA thought it reduce doctors' salaries too much

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 01:54:53 pm »

What about a health care alliance of all bush towns that can purchase doctors' services or medical insurance on behalf of all their members?  We also need to make bush service attractive to doctors.  Maybe all that empty land owned by the state can be used to some effect in enticing skilled doctors to the Alaskan bush.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

AlaskanWoman

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 02:37:27 pm »

JasonP

Actually for the first time one of your responses make sense, almost.

I say almost because. Do you know anything about the bush towns/villages? The people there are very poor. I do mean very poor. (Which will be the subjec of one of my next posts).

But yeah, I can see that happening. Maybe not the exact way you see, but it is a possibility.

But JasonP, what about my other questions? Never addressed them ya know.

What about a health care alliance of all bush towns that can purchase doctors' services or medical insurance on behalf of all their members?  We also need to make bush service attractive to doctors.  Maybe all that empty land owned by the state can be used to some effect in enticing skilled doctors to the Alaskan bush.

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 05:18:21 pm »

Why helth care shoul not be driven by free market? Supply - demand always work including helth care. What would be needed - reduction of government influence in individual's business
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you
Pages: [1]   Go Up