Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The FSP is the talk of the town in VT!  (Read 5404 times)

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
The FSP is the talk of the town in VT!
« on: May 01, 2003, 10:52:45 pm »

The column in the Burlington Free Press four days ago was Move over, hippies, the Libertarians are coming.

Tonight at a meeting with my anti-war group, they were talking about the "invasion" of 20,000 libertarians and how much they hoped it wouldn't end up being Vermont.  The subject was brought up as soon as someone mentioned the word "libertarian" when referring to me.

I am the only libertarian in this large anti-war group for some reason.

Anyways, they started talking about the FSP and then I told them that I was a part of it.  They immediately started asking me about Ayn Rand, welfare alternatives, and gun control.

Then they started asking if I was a conservative and they said they thought the FSP would take away votes from the Vermont Republican party more than the Democrat or Progressive parties.  I didn't know how to respond to that.

Then they said 20,000 people aren't enough to do anything, but I reminded them that it will be 20,000 activists.  "Oh my god, I hope they don't come here," was the only reply to that statement.

Vermonters are strongly independent, but they will see this as an invasion and they will fight it with everything they've got, and I do not believe the same is true about New Hampshire residents.  I live here and let me tell you what, I'll be straight-forward about this:  we must choose New Hampshire.  It is mandatory.

It is in the middle of New England, it has a strong culture of freedom ("Live Free or Die" on their license plates!) and the economic possibilities there will be extremely plentiful in relation to any other state we choose.  It will be less of a challenge, there is less actual work to do in order to free the state, there will be more jobs and more opportunities, and there is a much higher concentration of people within a short distance, from any side of New Hampshire, which we will be able to influence.  New England has the strongest independent spirit in the entire nation, and this is not something to be taken lightly.

Imagine such a movement in New Hampshire finding tremendous success and spreading quickly into Boston, Springfield, Augusta, Burlington, Plattsburg, Providence, Hartford, New York City, Albany, Trenton, Montreal, etc.  There are only two major cities within 300 miles of Cheyenne, WY, but there are SIX major cities within only 100 miles of Concord, NH!  It just makes so much sense to someone who lives here and knows the area.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 10:53:18 pm by LeRuineur6 »
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

freedomroad

Re:The FSP is the talk of the town in VT!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:43:42 am »

Vermonters are strongly independent, but they will see this as an invasion and they will fight it with everything they've got, and I do not believe the same is true about New Hampshire residents.

I agree that Vermont is not the best state for the FSP.  Vermont is the only possible state that I have spent much time in, though

I live here and let me tell you what, I'll be straight-forward about this:  we must choose New Hampshire.  It is mandatory.

It is too bad that you talk like this.  It makes the rest of your post look unimportant.  Certainly, NH is not the only possible state.  The founders and board of the FSP must disagree, or NH would be the only state.  

Have you really spent 100s of hours trying to figure out which state is best for the FSP?  Many people have, and almost all of them think Wyoming is the best state.  

What if the FSP can work in many states?  It should be able to work in SD and AK.  Why do you not think so?  Why is NH better than SD?

Imagine such a movement in New Hampshire finding tremendous success and spreading quickly into Boston, Springfield, Augusta, Burlington, Plattsburg, Providence, Hartford, New York City, Albany, Trenton, Montreal, etc.

This movement will not spread (EVER) to places like Boston and Providence, and NYC.  It is because (partly) of places like those, that this country has little freedom and is losing more everyday.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 09:17:58 am »

Why is NH better than SD?

Because it has a citizen legislature.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 09:36:08 am »

I live here and let me tell you what, I'll be straight-forward about this:  we must choose New Hampshire.  It is mandatory.

If you honestly believe that, you should give serious thought to joining the NH or Bust organization. They are working very hard to make sure that the right state is picked. Um, I believe they are looking for a Vermont coordinator.  ;)

http://www.nhorbust.com/
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 11:33:45 am »

It is too bad that you talk like this.  It makes the rest of your post look unimportant.

Perhaps to the Founders, it does.

Have you really spent 100s of hours trying to figure out which state is best for the FSP?

Have 3,483 people really each spent 100s of hours trying to figure out which state is best for the FSP?  No.  Do all of our votes count?  Yes.  Therefore, you have no choice but to take what I'm saying seriously.  "You don't know what you're talking about" is not a valid rebuttal by itself.

Wyoming is in the middle of nowhere with only two major cities nearby, land-locked, technologically backwards, has little job growth, and living in WY would be "roughing it" to say the least.

NH is in the middle of many major cities, borders Canada, has an Atlantic coastline, has significant job growth, is technologically advanced, has many business connections with the nearby major nearby cities (my small VT employer has two locations in NH!), has a strong tourism industry in relation to WY, and is more politically inviting with less political challenges to overcome.

Here in Vermont, people from all over the world visit year-round, and especially during fall foliage.  When I lived in Utah (next to WY), tourists were rarely seen, if ever.  Just two days ago I was on Church Street in Burlington and a family of four tourists just walked up to me started talking to me.  They said they were from Israel!  I've only lived here for two years and this type of thing happens all the time.  I lived in Utah for 12 years and nothing like that ever happened to me until I moved to VT.

It's difficult to explain, but if you can picture a city with 100,000 people who never speak to each other.  Picture a community that leaves management of the neighborhoods and the city up to the government.  Its police force is strict and uptight with a low tolerance for almost anything outside of normal.  Imagine city-wide curfews.  That's Utah.  It is a closed, private, conformist culture.  Although I'm not sure how similar it is in Wyoming.

Now picture a city with 100,000 people who all regularly stop and talk to each other, as well as the thousands of visiting tourists, on the street.  Picture large groups of people dancing in the streets in the spring.  Picture a community that works together actively to improve their neighborhoods and their entire state.  Imagine hundreds of people who sacrifice their time to volunteer efforts to help other people live a better life.  We do not donate money often in New England, we mostly donate time.  The culture here is open, friendly, cooperative, and positive.  The police are responsive when necessary, but lenient.  That is New England.  Some Vermonters are simply misguided, but they truly mean well.  They are very accepting, helpful, forgiving, honest, friendly, and, most importantly, tolerant of one's differences.

In my opinion, the culture of one region is passive and aggressive and the other is active and friendly.  The choice is yours.
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 02:38:55 pm »

« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 03:12:18 pm by LeRuineur6 »

SandyPrice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 12:42:38 pm »

Has anyone checked into the Home School qualifications in either Vermont/New Hampshire or Wyoming/Montana?  If we don't have the freedoms to educate the kids our own way it won't be worth the move.

If we, in our desire to break away from federal rules (not laws, rules) can it not be expected that we will be boycotted by Union run transportation services.  I'm worried about UPS, Fedex, etc.  How much control does the Teachers Union have over the laws legislating new schools?
Pages: [1]   Go Up