Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: States ranked by RLC Liberty Index  (Read 16382 times)

Mencken

States ranked by RLC Liberty Index
« on: August 27, 2002, 05:14:57 pm »

The Republican Liberty Caucus publishes an annual libertarian rating of all Congressmen and Senators.  The following list ranks the 50 states by average 2001 rating:

ID83.63
WY83.33
NH82.25
AK78.17
KS74.08
KY74.00
UT73.60
AZ72.75
OK72.06
NE72.00
AL70.17
VA66.15
MT65.67
CO64.00
TN63.95
SC63.38
MS62.64
GA58.96
IN58.46
LA57.94
OH57.71
IA55.79
PA55.07
TX54.70
MO52.95
NM52.50
NC52.18
AR52.08
FL51.82
NV49.88
IL47.02
WI43.91
MI43.53
CA42.11
ME41.50
SD41.00
CT39.25
OR37.79
WA37.27
DE36.83
MD36.15
NY36.09
NJ35.87
MN35.15
WV32.70
RI24.50
VT24.00
ND22.33
MA18.91
HI18.38

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:States ranked by RLC Liberty Index
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 05:28:35 pm »

Interesting.  So for the purposes of state research, if we assume that voter preferences translate efficiently into the positions of their elected representatives, the above ranking represents voter preferences on national issues in those states.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

stpeter

• If you want justice, work for freedom.
    • stpeter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 11:21:28 pm »

Yes, interesting. I continue to think Idaho, Wyoming, and NH are the best possibilities in the Lower 48, but that Alaska is best overall (leaving climate out of it! :) -- and they're the top 4 on the list here. The low scores for ND, VT, DE, SD, and ME are worrisome for those states. I do think that this is a fairly good barometer of public opinion -- any congresscritter who was deeply pro-control would get voted out of office (or not even make the cut) in something approaching a free state. I'll need to check out the factors that go into the RLC rating, though....

glen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 10:43:26 am »

Hi Mencken

I do not understand what is measured to get this ranking of states. Is this based how the congressional representatives vote? If so, is there a voting summery of some kind, perhaps by topic, so we can make our own judgments?

zeeder

• I'm a chicken!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 06:54:18 pm »

(hi i am new) Here are some of the issues.

http://www.republicanliberty.org/libdex/LI_Rollcall.asp

It seems like a fairly good indicator of which members of congress(states) are more libertarian like. Nice to see that the states chosen by the FSP are high on the list.

Zeeder
 PMS. I a pharmacist from GA. I am a member of the libertarian party(i just like newspapers). I have wondered why the libertarian party hasn't advocated a move like the FSP. Then again, political parties are not known for being smart.
For the average American freedom of speech is simply the freedom to repeat what everyone else is saying and no more

JT

• FSP Participant
  • How can someone else know what's best for you???
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 09:57:15 pm »

The low scores for ND, VT, DE, SD, and ME are worrisome for those states.

In regards to ND: They are an independent people, warm to strangers, and have virtually no crime.  But many of them are sheep.  Change is not something to be taken likely.  I feel that if FSP moves to ND, many of the locals will not be happy.  That would be true anywhere we go, but in ND we would take a lot more heat than if we moved to MT, NH, ID, WY or even ME.

As for SD, there are a lot of people with Libertarian beliefs, but there are also enough people to vote in Tom Daschle, so we might want to be weary about this state.

However, land prices and taxes in the Dakotas are remarkably low.  And I'm sure that once enough activists showed up, people would start to warm to the idea...

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 01:51:13 pm »

Virtual tie for the top three.
I can see why New Hampshire people are scared enough to do anything to keep the Massachusetts HOARDS from taking over.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 02:39:09 pm »

LOL.... That's funny, Hank.

People from Mass haven't been any trouble the last 225 years, they're not going to be anytime soon.

In fact, the tax refugees we get from Mass. seem to bring hatred of taxes, and a a willingness to vote Libertarian with them.

We address this issue on our seldomly asked questions page at http://www.freestatenh.com/SAQ.html#mass

And to stick with the subject of the thread, I'm glad the RLC seems to like those three states so much! :)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Rich T.

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free in NH!
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 03:45:38 pm »

I can see why New Hampshire people are scared enough to do anything to keep the Massachusetts HOARDS from taking over.

We're not all that scared. Along with the "hoards", we get a few LPMA refugees as well looking to work with us. Plus the folks who left to come up here for work, or less crime, or to keep their guns, or pay less taxes. If the last election is any indicator (and I think it is), I think the hoard is running scared.

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 03:54:11 pm »

We're not all that scared. Along with the "hoards", we get a few LPMA refugees as well looking to work with us. Plus the folks who left to come up here for work, or less crime, or to keep their guns, or pay less taxes. If the last election is any indicator (and I think it is), I think the hoard is running scared.

The same hoards moved into Vermont and Maine and destroyed those states.  Currently, they are moving to and takeover DE.  Even Idaho is starting to see signs of these hoards destoying a state.

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 04:21:04 pm »

Even Idaho is starting to see signs of these hoards destoying a state.

This may be true, especially along certain pessimistic views, like complying with federal mandates for land-use control and such things, but consider this:  during the 1990's Idaho transformed from an agrarian/timber/mining-industry economy to a diversified economy with high-tech industry and added several thousand millionaires and fortune 500 companies,
lowered its income tax rate,
became a right-to-work state,
became decidedly Republican in it politics (take that as good or bad, of course),
repealed laws that forced health insurance to offer non-contractual obligations,
helped the Libertarian Party became a major party, becoming a serious contender for several elections, surpassing even the Democrats in several areas of the state,
reduced the rate of welfare use upwards of 80%,
increased the strength of homeschool laws to disallow school districts from even questioning children being homeschooled,
sent representatives to Congress that rated even higher on the RLC rankings than before.

I'm sure New Hampshire could mention how much more NH residents dislike taxes now that more Mass. refugees have come to the state.
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Number_6

Word Usage Check
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 04:34:21 pm »

Pardon me folks, but the word you want is "horde", not "hoard".  The difference between "horde" and "hoard" is the difference between "There was a horde of cattle in the stampede" and "The miser has a hoard of money".   ;)  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 04:59:19 pm by Number_6 »

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 05:18:18 pm »

Even Idaho is starting to see signs of these hoards destoying a state.

This may be true, especially along certain pessimistic views, like complying with federal mandates for land-use control and such things, but consider this

What is happening to Idaho is that lots of CA Republicans (somewhat conservative/ somewhat statist) are moving to Boise and the nice areas near the mountains in large enough numbers to change those areas completely.  The signs show that the pattern will continue for a long time.

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 04:35:37 pm »

Transplanted quote from another thread:

But generally the index appears to be a pretty reliable one, for us.

I take issue with this. The RLC Liberty Index is obviously rather slanted in favor of Republicans.

The perfect example of this is embodied in my own Congressman, Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD6). Bartlett is a textbook conservative: anti-tax, pro-gun, anti-welfare, etc.. But like any conservative, he is staunchly anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. The RLC lists him as an Enterpriser.

I am a Bartlett supporter and will most definitely be voting for him next election, but he is by a no means an Enterpriser. The Liberty Index would seem to give him a bonus point for being a Republican. It does the same for Olympia Snowe, a Maine Republican with an unstable record; she is listed as being Centrist. Connie Morella, a Maryland Republican with a lock-stop liberal voting record, was rated Centrist as well. Rhode Island's Lincoln Chaffee, practically liberal Republicanism incarnate, was counted as Centrist, too.

And maybe it's just me, but either the Liberty Index Lookup is not working or it doesn't list a single Republican as being statist or authoritarian.

It's not accurate at all. It's tremendously partisan.

The RLC is tremendously slanted in favor of Republicans,  but not all because of bias in the RLC tabulators, but because most of what goes on in Congress today is choosing between the lesser of two evils,  something Republicans are notably good at doing, most of the time.

I don't understand why the Republican Liberty Caucus is still calling people 'libertarians' and 'enterprisers' when they are clearly conservative neocon statists, it harms their credibility with real libertarians.  I think congresspersons who get less than about 85% on this list are not at all friends.  Nonetheless, for comparison purposes, these numbers are useful.

Only two congressmembers from our candidate states belong to the RLC, one in Idaho, another in Montana.  Several FSP members here have claimed membership in the group.  Please note that the RLC is not the Republican Legislative Committee!  It is a group started by a libertarian, Dr. Ron Paul of Texas. It is the Republican Liberty Caucus.  

Also, note that lot of the issues that libertarians care most about never make it to the floor of Congress for a vote, so a lot of these guys get a pass as enterprisers or even libertarian for being conservatives!
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 05:09:50 pm »

This analysis is interesting and seams correct. But what is also important is how active the public is. For example I think NH is “do it yourself politics” state. I can not imagine another state where people are so active. Usually people are apathetic. Activism of people and their leaning to libertarianism should be considered together. Is there any method to measure activism of the people, besides personal and of course subjective impression?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up