Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What best describes your position on moving for the FSP?

I'll go anywhere for the FSP!
- 101 (32.5%)
There are a couple states I won't go to.
- 93 (29.9%)
I'll only go if the selected state is east/west of the Mississippi.
- 38 (12.2%)
There are a few states I'd go to, but that's it.
- 34 (10.9%)
I'll only participate if my favorite state is picked.
- 10 (3.2%)
I haven't decided!
- 35 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 288

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Location Requirements (TAKE THE POLL)  (Read 49619 times)

admin

• FSP Participant
Location Requirements (TAKE THE POLL)
« on: July 22, 2002, 09:26:47 pm »

Here's an interesting question for everyone, plus a demo of the poll capability!

Charles
« Last Edit: July 23, 2002, 08:37:02 am by Charles »

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re:Location Requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 11:12:36 pm »

Ultra cool, Charles!

Jim Sheridan

• FSP Participant
  • Well damn, he's good lookin'
Re:Location Requirements
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 12:22:36 am »

Tres cool.

As a matter of fact, this is all first rate. Nice work.
We're the Good Ol' Blues Brothers Boys band from Chicago - Elwood

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
Re:Location Requirements (TAKE THE POLL)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 04:53:03 pm »

Yeah this is a cool poll.  Can anyone make one or just you powerfull people?
Anyway I had to answer "There a few states I'd go to but that's it" because my responce should have been:
"I'll go to any state where I can find a job in my field but unfotunately that's probably only a few states"
just FYI.
-Eddie

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 10:07:32 pm »

Anyway I had to answer "There a few states I'd go to but that's it" because my responce should have been:
"I'll go to any state where I can find a job in my field but unfotunately that's probably only a few states"
just FYI.
-Eddie

You wouldn't dig ditches for the Free State, Eddie?  ;)

Freestatepatriot

• FSP Participant
    • The Christian Independent
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 12:54:10 pm »

You wouldn't dig ditches for the Free State, Eddie?  ;)

I don't know about Eddie, but I've got a family to feed.  Last time I checked, the pay for ditch digging wasn't very good (I'm from a rural farming area in Missouri, so I know a little about digging ditches).

My secular employment in Brazil is English teaching.  I'd like a state where I can qualify to teach grade school quickly (emergency certification or something similar) and get the appropriate teaching degree in the meantime.  NH has some good alternative routes to teaching, it seems.  

Does anybody else have any SERIOUS suggestions for what a bilingual (English/Portuguese) guy with a Bachelor of Ministry and teaching experience can do in the Free State?

Adam G.

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 12:58:21 pm »

Yeah I would but I would do a cost benifit analysis and find out that if I move to this state and get a job at Mcdonalds I would actually have a greater impact by keeping my old job and sending the excess money I'd be making to the FSP or our politicians or whatever than if I was working double shifts at Mc'Ds to support my family.  Luckily though I think when we choose a state I believe there is a very high chance we choose one where I'll be able to find a job.  Also even if we don't then I think I'll be able to get there eventually because I estimate maybe 8-10 years down the line I might be able to become and independent consultant in which case I can live anywhere.
-Eddie

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2002, 12:21:12 pm »

Does anybody else have any SERIOUS suggestions for what a bilingual (English/Portuguese) guy with a Bachelor of Ministry and teaching experience can do in the Free State?

Adam G.

I'd say NH is the best option for you, because Boston has some of the finest educational instituations in the world.  I'd think you could easily find a private religious university and get on the road to proffesorship in teaching Portuges.  Portugese is a difficult language and your teaching experience I'd think would help you get a job teaching this subject in college.  Also you could study and get a phd. in Portugese which probably wouldn't be very difficult for you.  I'm sure there's an institution in Northern Boston that would love to have you teach this language.  Worst case senario you could teach community college portugese.
-Eddie

Freestatepatriot

• FSP Participant
    • The Christian Independent
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 07:19:37 pm »

I'd say NH is the best option for you, because Boston has some of the finest educational instituations in the world.  I'd think you could easily find a private religious university and get on the road to proffesorship in teaching Portuges.  Portugese is a difficult language and your teaching experience I'd think would help you get a job teaching this subject in college.  Also you could study and get a phd. in Portugese which probably wouldn't be very difficult for you.  I'm sure there's an institution in Northern Boston that would love to have you teach this language.  Worst case senario you could teach community college portugese.
-Eddie

The excellent points about NH for my family and I are:

1) Plentiful Universities in the region
2) Enormous Brazilian population in the Boston area
3) Relatively flexible alternate routes for me to teach K-12
4) International Airports accesible.

As for teaching in a University, if I were to do so it would be in religion.  Community College would be fine by me.  I attended a CC where the religion professor was an adjunct faculty member.  His "real" job was serving a United Church of Christ.  LIBERAL (theologically and politically) but a great guy personally.  In any event, my preference is still teaching grade school.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adam G.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2002, 02:23:45 am »

I'm posting on this thread solely so that the people who check new posts can be reminded to please vote in the poll if you haven't already... I'm dying to see more results!

Eddie_Bradford

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2002, 08:32:11 am »

I'm posting on this thread solely so that the people who check new posts can be reminded to please vote in the poll if you haven't already... I'm dying to see more results!

Who's inflating their posting #s now?   ;)
-Eddie

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2002, 11:28:52 pm »

When I first signed up for FSP I chose to opt out if Alaska was picked.

I have since changed my mind.  At this point I'd go ANYWHERE to be free of state intervention against people who are not harming the person or property of another.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Budd

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2002, 12:14:40 am »

I would take a corner of hell if I were to have true freedom. If there were no jobs to be had I would make one. If there was no food I would eat bugs. I don't recall hearing anyone saying this would be easy. Anything that is worth having is worth working for.
Bud

cdbern_99

• freedom fighter: source-DNA
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2002, 01:27:43 am »

While there are places I would prefer to live, anywhere to get away from Federal intrusion and the usurption of civil liberties takes priority.

Anpwhotep

• FSP Participant
  • Ow. That's gotta hurt.
    • Raven's Roost
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 01:40:51 am »

I'll go anywhere there's adequate medical care (that's qualified to treat my medical conditions) and the climate doesn't require the use of antifreeze to keep your blood flowing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up