Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyoming Votes UNANIMOUSLY to Cooperate with FBI in Gun Control  (Read 32473 times)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant

The new Wyoming law to send fingerprints with all concealed weapon’s permits to the FBI for a national background check.

Wyoming H.B. No. 0308  Concealed firearms permits-amendment.
Sponsored by: Representative(s) Luthi
AN ACT relating to weapons; providing for the submission of fingerprints to the federal bureau of  investigation as part of a background check for issuance of a concealed firearms permit; and providing for an effective date.

Wyoming Enrolled Act # 105 http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2003/Bills/HB0308.pdf   :o

Wyoming enacted this abomination into law http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2003/HBIndex.htm scroll down to #308
SIGNED INTO LAW: 03/06/03  EFFECTIVE DATE:  03/06/03

I understand that Idaho and North Dakota have similar statutes.

New Hampshire’s law is better  ;D

NH HB 766, recently passed into law, clarified existing state law:

II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis
to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or
nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 09:51:06 am by Doug(stumpy) »
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

freedomroad

Re:Wyoming and great news about guns
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 12:07:13 pm »

This is bad news.  We could change this the first year we moved to WY, ND, or ID, though so it is not that big a deal.  It is a good thing that you do not need a permit to carry a gun in Wyoming.

Some interesting notes though.  I talked with the head of the WYOMING STATE SHOOTING ASSOCIATION.  He said he is in favor of the FSP and thinks Wyoming is a perfect place for it.  He even told me about Boston Tea Party's new book which is about the FSP picking Wyoming and then gaining power in Wyoming.  He said that he helped Boston Tea Party with the book and that it will be out in September.

I am going to meet with him on July 22nd.  He is also a former Libertarian candidate for town Mayor and state Senate.  This looks very promising.  

As we know, estimates show that 88% of Wyoming households own guns (the highest in the nation) and Wyoming is know to have the best (or just about there) hunting and hunting laws in the nation.  As long as we work as activists in Wyoming, we should be able to give it more gun freedom than even Alaska.  This should not be hard since Wyoming is already in the top 5 in the nation as far as gun freedoms.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 12:09:18 pm by FreedomRoad »

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Wyoming’s New Draconian Gun Law
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 12:28:06 pm »

This is bad news.  

Yes, bad news.

If WY is chosen, concealed-weapons carriers will have their choice of either:
a) being fingerprinted and those fingerprints being sent to the FBI where those fingerprints will likely be added to a national database
b) ignoring the law and risking imprisonment

Neither seems to be a good option.

Yes, we can get this law reversed, but that is one more fight and political capital that could better be spent on another issue.

I have had WY at #2 in my vote sequence, but this development may move it back. :o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 12:30:05 pm by Doug(stumpy) »
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

freedomroad

Re:Wyoming’s New Draconian Gun Law
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 12:33:18 pm »

I have had WY at #2 in my vote sequence, but this development may move it back. :o

All of the research shows Wyoming to have near the best gun laws in the nation, certainly in the top 5.  However, gun freedom not must be the most immportant issue to you because Alaska has some of the best gun freedom in the nation (higher than NH for sure) but you rank it only about DE.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 01:38:54 pm by FreedomRoad »

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 12:44:15 pm »

All of the research shows Wyoming to have near the best gun laws in the nation, certainly in the top 5.  

I wonder if “all of the research” includes the recently discovered fact that  if you want to legally carry a weapon concealed in Wyoming, Wyoming will fingerprint you and send your prints to the FBI?

I’ll bet it does not. ;)

Zack Bass

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 01:20:52 pm »

If WY is chosen, concealed-weapons carriers will have their choice of either:
a) being fingerprinted and those fingerprints being sent to the FBI where those fingerprints will likely be added to a national database
b) ignoring the law and risking imprisonment
Yes, we can get this law reversed, but that is one more fight and political capital that could better be spent on another issue.

No problem.  Just move to the Free County (our 30-square-mile ranch in Niobrara County), and no one in the world can hassle you.  The Feds have no Law requiring a Carry Permit, and the State can't touch you without the Sheriff, and the Sheriff won't bother you, since we will own him.

Tony

• FSP Participant
  • Anywhere but Delaware
Re:Wyoming Votes to Cooperate with FBI in Gun Control
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 01:21:47 pm »

Just carry openly until we get it changed.  ;)

A lot of states require fingerprints.  I know for sure that WA does.  Other shall-issue states requiring fingerprints (according to packing.org) include: AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, LA, MI, MS, and many more (I stopped looking after MS).  Changing WY to a AK/VT style carry law would be fairly easy.  This would allow us to gain support in the community and let the residents know that we can actually get something done.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 01:28:58 pm »

Just carry openly until we get it changed.  ;)

A lot of states require fingerprints.  I know for sure that WA does.  Other shall-issue states requiring fingerprints (according to packing.org) include: AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, LA, MI, MS, and many more (I stopped looking after MS).  Changing WY to a AK/VT style carry law would be fairly easy.  This would allow us to gain support in the community and let the residents know that we can actually get something done.

I do believe GA requires a fingerprints for a drivers license now, as well as a couple of other very unfree states.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 01:51:59 pm »

How to get around the finger-print law in Idaho, if we should move there, (and until we get this law changed) :

According to packing.org and my reading of 18-3302 of the Idaho code...

1. Idaho accepts permits from all states except Vermont ( ;) ) Bring your permit with you.  It is good in Idaho until it expires or until your issuing state requires you to surrender it for moving.

2. Use open- carry when within the confines of cities, mining and railroad camps, etc.  Feel free to use concealed carry without a permit when outside of city limits and defined locations (when you go hiking in the foothills, on roads and rural areas between towns, etc.).  Idaho only requires permit when in defined areas.

3. Become an elected official 18-3302;12$(e) gives this special perk to elected officials: "The requirement to secure a license to carry a concealed weapon under
this section shall not apply to ... Any publicly elected Idaho official" !!  (politicians like to grant themselves rights they deny others, don't they?)

4. Be a retired police officer with at least ten years of service.

5. You do not need a permit to carry a loaded handgun in a car as long as it is in the open.

6. (several other narrowly-defined exceptions).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 03:33:43 pm by exitus... »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 01:58:13 pm »

I understand the reluctance of WY advocates to cede a point, but no amount of spinning will change the fact; if you want to legally carry a weapon concealed in WY,

WYOMING WILL TAKE YOUR FINGERPRINTS AND GIVE THEM TO THE FBI.

New Hampshire does not boast a gun culture, yet New Hampshire does the checking locally, with no federal involvment. ;D

This is yet another reason why I’ll choose New Hampshire.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 02:43:28 pm by Doug(stumpy) »

Zack Bass

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 02:03:25 pm »

... if you want to legally carry a weapon concealed in WY,

It doesn't sound like that big a deal.  I don't really understand why people care so much about carrying concealed, as long as they can carry.
In Florida, you can't carry a handgun unconcealed, even if you have a Concealed Carry Permit!!!  Go figure.

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 02:03:29 pm »

I understand the reluctance of WY advocates to cede a point, but no amount of spinning will change the fact; if you want to legally carry a weapon concealed in WY,

New Hampshire does not boast a gun culture, yet New Hampshire does the checking done locally, with no federal involvment. ;D

This is yet another reason why I’ll choose New Hampshire.  ;)

They do that in many states.  They do that in my state of TN, for example.  However, the law does not need to apply to FSP members that move to Wyoming.  All they have to do is get a permit from a state that does not do this.  You can live in one state and carry a permit from another state for as long as you want as long as both states except each other's permits.  

However, I agree, this law should be changed and it will be changed ASAP.  Many gun laws from all of the states need to be changed, and with our help, they will be changed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 02:05:31 pm by FreedomRoad »

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 02:11:21 pm »

It doesn't sound like that big a deal.  

Wyoming is assisting the FBI as it builds a national database.

cbisquit

• FSP Participant
  • economics is freedom
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 03:29:51 pm »

I'm not really a big fan of being in FBI databases, but how much would this really change Wyoming's gun value on the spreadsheet?
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

freedomroad

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 03:52:35 pm »

I'm not really a big fan of being in FBI databases, but how much would this really change Wyoming's gun value on the spreadsheet?

Since this is fast become the normal for all states the keep fingerprints and the fact that Wyoming fingerprints is already figured into the spreadsheet, this would not change the ranking at all.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up