Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Military Bases and the Choice of the Free State  (Read 3938 times)

Number_6

Military Bases and the Choice of the Free State
« on: July 01, 2003, 05:03:10 pm »

In their deliberations, one thing that the membership may not have considered is the effect of the U.S. military's presence on the Project's probability of success.  In Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming, the Air Force has multiple bases that are host to strategic bombers, ICBM's, and their supporting personnel and resources.  This is the heart of America's land-based nuclear deterrent.

Let us suppose that one of these states is chosen, and that the Project succeeds.  An FSP member is elected the governor, and that FSP members become a majority of both houses of the state legislature.  The state informs the federal government that it wants to negotiate an appropriate degree of autonomy.  How will the federal government react?

The Project can already count on its hostility.  If the Project is successful enough, and the feds feel threatened enough, their attitude might become "these people might take control of our nuclear assets."  Perception is what counts here.  I leave the rest to your imagination.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
Re:Military Bases and the Choice of the Free State
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 07:03:31 pm »

Alaska has an important base or two (Elmendorf, among others), DE has Dover, Maine has Bangor (a civil airport, but also a KC-135 base).  I don't know specifically about NH and VT.  Outside of those two possible exceptions, they're all bad.

We'll have to negotiate how to address the U.S. military issue.  The US has huge bases in many foreign countries, so this shouldn't be too complicated.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Eddie Willers

• FSP Participant
  • "Neo" Objectivist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 07:32:10 pm »

I think this is a classic red herring - of course people have gone to war over this kind of thing before.

The fact is, that no matter what, a certain amount of hostility will come our way. My own opinion, is that this information could be used as an asset, rather as a detriment.

In the game of politics, DC could certainly start frothing at the mouth, and screaming about the nuclear & base issues. The noble leaders of the Free State can then dissolve the issue completely by saying: "You can keep them. By all means, take the damn things out of here! We'll even pay for your fuel, as long as you can assure us that you will not point them at us!" Show Washington for what it is: power mad wackos.

Or something to that effect.

If you think about it, really, the real antagonism will be the fact that we'll be thumbing our collective [sic] noses at the Federales, and they will feel threatened. They'll worry about what kind of "message" we'll be sending to the other states (who will be in continually spiraling economic downdrafts). Or the "message" that those ubiquitous terrorists will see.

We'll be compared to Chechnya, and we'll be called "terrorists" at worst, or "ungrateful ingrates" at best. Or perhaps "unpatriotic" for not "supporting" DC and company.

None of that matters. They know it, too. They know the real issue is power: economic and political power. They will not relinquish it easily. But if we keep smiling, and "caving" on the "nuclear" issue, and other red herrings that are truly free of charge. We'll be able to stand firm on the really important issues of autonomy, taxation, and 9th & 10th amendment issues. (Not to mention Article I issues)

And we won't need to utter the "s" word for a few more years, yet.

'nuff said.

Eddie
Take care of the means and the End will take care of itself.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 12:06:40 am »

There's been talk in the past of shutting down the military base in Cheyenne as part of the general scale-down that's been going on over the last few years.  It probably won't happen for awhile now, but if the Democrats win the White House and/or Congress, it likely will.

Outside of their military roles though, I actually believe that military personnel might make some of the best citizens for a free state.  They're generally self-disciplined, hard-working, and principled.  These are not the type of people that make good welfare candidates; they're better poised to contribute to society rather than to drain it.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 12:12:35 am »

There's been talk in the past of shutting down the military base in Cheyenne as part of the general scale-down that's been going on over the last few years.  It probably won't happen for awhile now, but if the Democrats win the White House and/or Congress, it likely will.

Outside of their military roles though, I actually believe that military personnel might make some of the best citizens for a free state.  They're generally self-disciplined, hard-working, and principled.  These are not the type of people that make good welfare candidates; they're better poised to contribute to society rather than to drain it.

Some of us are in the military :)
Lots of us are retired military (or once served).

NH does have a base, VT does not.  However, last time I was in VT there was a base in NY, across the big lake.

WY only has 1 base.

It would not be strange to have a military base of many (as in AK) in the Free State.  Over 100 countries have US military bases and it is no big deal.  In fact, the US pays many of those counties (some in the billions) to keep those bases.

The federal government could care less.

This issue is now dead :0)
Pages: [1]   Go Up