Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great State Debate  (Read 37316 times)

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian
The Great State Debate
« on: June 19, 2003, 02:45:12 pm »

A more formal debate is being planned on another thread ( http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1736 ), but I would like to set up something simple and straightforward here, requiring little effort from the moderator.  Since Jason has announced that ballots will start going out to members on July 15th, I propose the following timeline and rules:

1.  Each state will identify one person to post their statements for them.  This can be one person for all three statements, or one each for opening, rebuttal, and closing.  Any number of people can collaborate via email prior to making the posts.  The designated poster(s) should be identified on this thread by July 1st.  Volunteers should identify themselves and the state they wish to represent, and the statement(s) they wish to prepare.  The first volunteer for each state will get the honor, unless they agree to step aside to allow someone else to take their place by July 1st.  States with no volunteers by July 1st will not participate.

2.  Each state representative should prepare an opening statement of not more than 500 words, and post it to this thread by 11:30 PM EDT on July 8th.  Opening statements should focus on why their state is the best choice for the FSP, rather than knocking the other states.  

3.  Each state representative should read the other states' posts, and prepare a rebuttal of not more than 500 words, to be posted to this thread by 11:30 PM EDT on July 11th.  Rebuttals should challenge erroneous statements or facts in other states' opening statements, and focus on why the leading competitors' states are not the best choices for the FSP.  Rebuttals can raise questions challenging any or all of the other nine states (not necessarily all of them.)  This will be one 500-word rebuttal, not 9 rebuttals against each of the other states.

4.  Each state representative should read the other states' rebuttals, then prepare a closing statement of not more than 500 words, to be posted to this thread by 11:30 PM EDT on July 14th.  Closing statements should answer any rebuttals, and reestablish why that state is the best choice for the FSP.

5.  This thread will be self-policing.  Please do not post if you are not the designated state representative.  Please post only the three statements indicated, at the times indicated.  

6.  The thread will be locked when all 10 closing statements are received.

Now, any volunteers?  Any questions?

Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
Re:The Great State Debate
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 05:16:22 pm »

The New Hampshire contingent has nominated me to represent them.  I accept, and will post an opening 500 word statement on why New Hampshire is the best choice for the Free State Project here by July 8th.

Keith Murphy
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

craft_6

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 09:00:51 am »

The New Hampshire contingent has nominated me to represent them.  I accept, and will post an opening 500 word statement on why New Hampshire is the best choice for the Free State Project here by July 8th.

Thanks, Keith!

New Hampshire is now in the debate.  Any volunteers to represent the other states?  The rules are in the first post of this thread.  

State reps will post a 500 word opening statement by July 8th, a 500 word rebuttal to the other states' statements by July 11th, and a 500 word closing statement by July 14th.  Each state can be represented by one, two, or three individuals.

When everyone's done, this thread will contain (hopefully) 30 short essays summarizing the strongest points for and against the states in contention.

If you have any questions on the rules, or wish to volunteer, please do so on this thread by July 1st.  After that, the thread will be reserved for the official statements.

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 01:19:56 pm »

What are the debate rules?

Evidence rules?
Prior disclosure of facts and evidence to be used?

Incorrect claims or "facts".
Misleading statements.
Unvarnished propoganda and BS?

Opportunity to present the "rest of the story"?
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295

craft_6

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 04:43:07 pm »

What are the debate rules?

Evidence rules?
Prior disclosure of facts and evidence to be used?

Incorrect claims or "facts".
Misleading statements.
Unvarnished propoganda and BS?

Opportunity to present the "rest of the story"?

See the first post in this thread for the debate rules.

Footnotes to sources of statistical claims should be included, and will not count against the 500-word limit, as long as they include only the source reference and not a separate essay.

No prior disclosure is required, since there will be 3 days between openings, rebuttals, and closing statements.

If other states' opening statements contain errors or misleading statements, call attention to them in your rebuttal.  If the rebuttals contain errors or misleading statements, call attention to them in your closing statement.

Closing statements should not make new claims, but should summarize the case for your state, while refuting any rebuttals directed against your state by other state reps.  New factual claims (with sources cited) will be allowed in the closing statements, but only if necessary to refute claims made by other state reps in their rebuttals.

The opportunity to present "the rest of the story" is the closing statement, and of course, the many other threads on these boards.

Opening statements, rebuttals, and closing statements will be 500 words each.  This is not very many, so use them wisely, focusing on the key advantages of your state, and key disadvantages of the states you view as the leading competitors.  

craft_6

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 10:36:17 am »

So far, New Hampshire has the debate field to itself.  Surely, someone from Wyoming or Montana or Idaho is prepared to take them on, aren't they?  What about Alaska, South Dakota, Vermont, or Delaware, all of whom have their share of supporters?  Maine and North Dakota have been getting a bad rap -- here's your chance to explain why they should be getting more consideration.

The first volunteer from each state gets to be that state's rep, unless they voluntarily step aside for someone else later.  One person can write the opening, rebuttal, and closing, or they can be split up between two or three people.  See the first post of this thread for the rules.

Please sign up by July 1st, so the debate field can be set, and the state reps know which states to prepare for.  Opening statements are due July 8th, rebuttals July 11th, and closing statements on July 14th.  Each will be a maximum of 500 words.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 09:40:24 pm »

I'll take the Wyoming side, if there are no objections.

But 500 words?  Geez...that's cramping my long-winded style.   ;D ;)

craft_6

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 10:37:22 pm »

But 500 words?  Geez...that's cramping my long-winded style.

Thanks, Robert!  I'm sure you will state your case well in 500 words or less.  You'll also get 500 more for the rebuttal, and another 500 for the closing.

New Hampshire and Wyoming are in.  Any other states up to taking them on?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 10:39:25 pm by craft_6 »

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2003, 05:33:51 am »

I'll sign up for Vermont.

I really enjoy going to Vermont.  I have been a few times and plan to continue to go there for many years to come.  I do not enjoy going to Vermont just because I have a bunch of family up there, either.  The states looks real nice, has great summer weather, and a nice rural feel to it.  The schools are good, crime is very low, and it has the famous Vermont Carry.

Opps, sorry, I hope you do not count that as part of my 500 words  ;)

craft_6

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2003, 02:12:07 pm »

I'll sign up for Vermont.

FreedomRoad:  Thanks for taking Vermont, and no, the pre-debate blurb won't count against your 500 words.

NH, WY, and VT are now represented.

Anyone care to stand up for AK, DE, ID, ME, MT, ND, or SD?  

stpeter

• If you want justice, work for freedom.
    • stpeter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2003, 10:09:19 pm »

But 500 words?  Geez...that's cramping my long-winded style.   ;D ;)

Hey Robert, I've worked professionally as an editor on and off for ten years or more. Once you see my "slash-and-burn" editing approach in action, you'll find out how much you can say in 500 words. ;)

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 12:41:41 am »

Thanks, Peter!  That would be a great help.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 01:06:20 am »

Anyone care to stand up for AK, DE, ID, ME, MT, ND, or SD?  

Hesitantly, I slowly raise my hand to volunteer for Idaho, knowing that I scarcely have neither the time or energy for it, but I love Idaho....  hmm,  I'm going to go try to recruit a volunteer that I can assist here.

Hey Robert, I've worked professionally as an editor on and off for ten years or more. Once you see my "slash-and-burn" editing approach in action, you'll find out how much you can say in 500 words. ;)
I've worked as a writer for a couple of years, and I continue to be amazed at the tricks that my editor does to make me look  smart.  8)

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

craft_6

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 09:13:49 am »

Hesitantly, I slowly raise my hand to volunteer for Idaho, knowing that I scarcely have neither the time or energy for it, but I love Idaho....  hmm,  I'm going to go try to recruit a volunteer that I can assist here.

Exitus -- I'm sure that you will do a great job of representing Idaho.  Thanks for signing up.

This state debate is starting to shape up, with NH, WY, VT, and ID represented.

Where is the Montana contingent?  I've been told it's one of the front-runners.

I've also read that Alaska is "the only choice."  Anyone care to elaborate?

And what about South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, and Maine?

Rules are on the first post of this thread.  In a nutshell:

Post a 500-word opening statement by July 8th.

Read the opening statements and post a 500-word rebuttal by July 11th.

Read the rebuttals and post a 500-word closing statement by July 14th.

Volunteer on this thread by July 1st, when the debate field will be set.

Gary Snyder

• www.garysnyder.org
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 11:35:05 am »

I'll take Delaware, if no objections.

Gary
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

anything