Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyoming has the only Senator that voted for Free Trade  (Read 8823 times)

freedomroad

Wyoming has the only Senator that voted for Free Trade
« on: June 12, 2003, 10:07:57 pm »

The Senate has declared war on the American public.

Senate votes 97-1 against free trade.  The Senate says it will do everything in its power to prevent peaceful American citizens from trading with Burma.  Only Senator Michael Enzi (Senator from Wyoming) voted for free trade.  That is right; only one Senator thinks Americans are capable of entering non-violent trade agreements with the citizens of Burma.  Senators John Kerry, D-MA and Charles Schumer D-NY did not vote on the bill.

Why was the bill passed?  Of course, it was passed to save the citizens of Burma.  The Senate thinks that if they are no longer able to trade with the richest country in the world, all of their troubles will go away.  If that is true, why did it not work in Vietnam, Cuba, or Iraq when trade sanctions with those countries were implemented?

Mitch McConnell of KY, the number two Senate Republican, went so far as to say, "Supporters of a free Burma believe that serving the cause of freedom is America's challenge and obligation".  I agree 100% that Burma is having serious problems, but how is restricting the freedom of all American and citizens from Burma going to give us great amounts of new freedom?

The House is expected to pass the bill and President George Bush is expected to approve it.

http://usinfo.state.gov/cgi-bin/washfile/display.pl?p=/products/washfile/latest&f=03061208.elt&t=/products/washfile/newsitem.shtml

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46355-2003Jun11.html

What does Canada have to say about this?  Many Canadians are outraged about what is happening in Burma.  However, the government has yet to pass sanctions.  Instead, it is calling for Canadian companies to voluntarily do the right thing and represent Canada proudly.  It is also calling for UN sanctions.  Canada is not taking away trading rights from peaceful Canadian citizens; instead, it is asking the UN to do that for Canada.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030611.umyan0612/BNStory/International/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 12:53:17 am by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:Senator Michael Enzi is a libertarian
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 10:10:53 pm »

Michael Enzi is a libertarian and a conservative just like Representative (from Texas) Ron Paul.

Of course, this is not the first time Senator Michael Enzi has voted for free trade.  He is known as being one of the most pro-free trade Senators in America.  He voted to:

Voted YES on removing common goods from national security export rules.
Voted YES on expanding trade to the third world.
Voted to give normal trade relations to China.
Voted to give normal trade relations to Vietnam.

Even some libertarians called him too free trade friendly when he voted to continue normal trade relations with China even if it sells weapons of mass destruction to other countries.  

While he is not a 100% libertarian (he does have a little conservative streak),but he is darn close to it.  He is for partial-privatization of social security, increased gun freedoms, welfare reductions, against increased federal funding of healthcare, against expanding hate crime laws, and favors ending government funded discrimination.  He also understands that the school system is entirely messed up and must be changed.  He is only Wyoming’s Jr. Senator, though.  

Of the 20 Senators that are from one of the FSP candidate states, Senator Enzi of Wyoming is ranked 3rd ( http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Ratings_Senate )by Citizens Against Government Waste.  The only Senators to beat him are the two Senators from New Hampshire and the other Senator from Wyoming.

Of all 50 US Senators, he was rated 5th in the nation by the National Taxpayers Union.   The only other Senator from one of the candidate states to be given an A rating was the other Wyoming Senator (he was rated 6th in the nation).
http://www.ntu.org/features/congress_by_numbers/ntu_rates_congress/2002/tpf_senate_2002.php3
Gun Owners of America only gave three Senators an A rating for 2002, and Senator Enzi was one of them.  He was rated higher than any other Senator from any of the FSP candidate states.
http://www.gunowners.org/108srat.htm
In 2001 there were only 3 Senators with an A or better rating and he was one of them.  This time, however, one FSP candidate state Senator was rated higher than him, a Senator from New Hampshire.
In 2000, only one Senator was rated higher than him and he was the only Senator to receive an A.  

The Republican Liberty Caucus rated him a Libertarian.  He was the only Senator from a FSP candidate state to receive a 100% rating for economic issues.  He was also rated libertarian for personal (social) issues.

The issues2000.org website ( http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Michael_Enzi.htm ) calls him a Moderate Libertarian Conservative and its Nolan Chart rates him a Libertarian.  In fact, he is the highest rated Senator from any of the ten FSP candidate states and the only one that qualifies as a Libertarian according to issues2000.org’s Nolan Chart.  Michael Enzi is easily one of the most Libertarian high ranking elected officials in America.

It shows a lot for Wyoming that a person like this was able to get elected in Wyoming.  I call tell you, the votes in my home state of TN would never have elected anyone this libertarian.  If we can keep getting people like Senator Enzi elected to Wyoming; we have won ½ the battle already.

I would like to thank the good people of Wyoming for electing a libertarian to the US Senate.  What America needs is more Senators like Michael Enzi.

Look at the 2002 election results:
WYOMING      100% of precincts reporting    
 Candidate Votes % of vote  
 Michael B. Enzi (REP)* 133,615 73  
 Joyce Jansa Corcoran (DEM) 49,587 27  

After 4 years of voting as a libertarian in the Senate, 73% of Wyoming's voters thought that Senator Enzi should did it again.  Add to that, he did not even have a big expensive election run.  He did not need one because the people of Wyoming love his libertarian views.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 12:46:29 am by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:Senator Enzi can work with us if we promote ourselves right
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 10:11:49 pm »

Let us work with Senator Enzi to make Wyoming an even better place.

We will not even have to spend money to campaign against Senator Enzi.  Hell, has a ton of political experience, is very powerful, is already more libertarian than almost all elected officials, and is well liked in Wyoming.  One possible strategy is to get his endorsements in political contests and agree to never run against him.  

Another strategy would be to convince him to come back home and be the governor of Wyoming.  We would ask him to change his stances on a few issues to more pro-Wyoming stances.  For example, in Wyoming the Republicans are pro-women’s right to choose.  He would easily beat any Democrat in Wyoming for the office of governor.  We could agree to support him but only if we got the Lt. Governor’s position.  Then, when he retired the Lt. Governor could step-up and run for Governor.  This would allow us to spend virtually zero on the governor’s race in Wyoming and get a libertarian Republican elected to the highest office in Wyoming.  

The new Governor of Wyoming would appoint libertarian Republicans, libertarian Democrats, and Libertarian wherever he (she) could.  Of course, this new Governor would also endorse all libertarian candidates in upcoming elections.  This would allow us to spend our money on ballot initiatives, local, and other state elections and maybe to help out Montana, Idaho, and South Dakota.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 10:12:13 pm by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:Wyoming has the only Senator that voted for Free Trade
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 10:33:37 pm »

Senator Enzi is not just for free trade with China, Burma, and Vietnam.  He is also for free trade with Cuba.  In fact, he introduced a Senate bill to open free travel to Cuba (along with a Democratic Senator from Montana).

Senator Enzi thinks Americans should be able to travel to other countries if they want to, it is their right.

http://www.usaengage.org/press_releases/2003/may/flaketravel.html  

"Washington, D.C. - USA*Engage endorsed the "Export Freedom to Cuba Act" introduced today by Representatives Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and William Delahunt (D-MA). H.R. 2071 was introduced as a companion to Senate legislation (S. 950), introduced on April 30th by Senators Michael Enzi (R-WY), Max Baucus (D-MT) and others. The bill, the provisions of which are identical to the Senate bill, would eliminate the strict travel ban the U.S. currently imposes on American citizens seeking to travel to Cuba."

Also, http://www.uusc.org/news/alert053003p.html

Senator Enzi from Wyoming said, “We’ve been trying the same thing for 40 years – over 40 years, and it hasn’t worked...It seems foolish to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results...One of the reasons I became involved in this issue is because a Cuban-American from Jackson, Wyoming, had been in Cuba visiting his family, doing his one [U.S. permitted] visit a year. As he left and was on the plane coming back to Wyoming, one of his parents died. He couldn’t go back there for a year. This is not a good situation for any family...Some may ask why we want to increase dialogue right now, why open the door to Cuba when Castro is behaving so poorly. No one is denying that the actions of Castro and his government are deplorable, as is his refusal to provide basic human rights to his people. But if you truly believe that Castro is dictator with no good intentions, how can you say we should wait for him to behave before we engage. He controls the entire media there. The entire message that is coming out unless we have people interacting is his message. Keeping the door closed and hollering at Cuba on the other side does nothing. Let’s do something, let’s open the door and talk to the Cuban people.”

It is a social issue to him.

Senator Baucus said, “Some people seem to think tightening the embargo is a rational response to the Castro regime. I guess if you think an embargo can hurt Castro without hurting the Cuban people, then tightening the embargo might make some sense. But it doesn’t work that way. The embargo actually hurts the Cuban people much more than it hurts Castro. That’s why many Cuban dissidents, including Oswaldo Paya – the founder of the Varela Project – oppose our embargo and support engagement...Of course, ending the travel ban would have benefits not only for the Cuban people, but also for Americans...Most importantly, for my home state of Montana, ending the travel ban would help farmers and ranchers. Americans are currently allowed to sell food and medicine to Cuba on a cash-basis. But there is a lot of red tape thrown in their way. And without the ability to travel to Cuba and develop the business contacts, the full potential of these sales is not realized. In fact, one study has suggested that lifting the travel ban could result in an additional quarter billion dollars of agricultural sales, and create thousands of new jobs.”

To the Wyoming Republican it is mostly a social issue but to the Montana Democrat is is mostly an economic issue.  That seems strange.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 11:50:39 pm by FreedomRoad »

ida dawn

• Paleolibertarian
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 10:46:59 pm »

Sounds good, especially the political suggestions -- but then, I don't claim to have any expertise about it.

Thanks for the info.

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 12:23:32 am »

Hi Freedom Road,

That 97-1 Senate vote is the public relations vote for public consumption.  It is symbolic and tailored to mesh with public opinion in the US.

Senator Enzi (R, WY) had a "safe vote", ie there is no political danger in his public vote.  Other Senators with the same position as Senator Enzi cannot do this.  The entire vote was planned and calculated before the tally.

I doubt if most US corps with any presence in Burma were even briefed on the bill.  If there was any significance, the corporations would have had full briefings and allowed to offer their positions.

Canada's position isn't as important as watching the European Union's and China's.

It's mostly symbolic.  US corps needing a presence in Burma or elsewhere, will have one.

BobW  

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 12:42:36 am »

Hi Freedom Road,

That 97-1 Senate vote is the public relations vote for public consumption.  It is symbolic and tailored to mesh with public opinion in the US.

Senator Enzi (R, WY) had a "safe vote", ie there is no political danger in his public vote.  Other Senators with the same position as Senator Enzi cannot do this.  The entire vote was planned and calculated before the tally.

I doubt if most US corps with any presence in Burma were even briefed on the bill.  If there was any significance, the corporations would have had full briefings and allowed to offer their positions.

Canada's position isn't as important as watching the European Union's and China's.

It's mostly symbolic.  US corps needing a presence in Burma or elsewhere, will have one.

BobW  

Let's look and see which House members vote against the House version.

Zxcv

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 03:03:19 am »

It shows a lot for Wyoming that a person like this was able to get elected in Wyoming.  I call tell you, the votes in my home state of TN would never have elected anyone this libertarian.  If we can keep getting people like Senator Enzi elected to Wyoming; we have won ½ the battle already.
Don't forget the Republican Liberty Caucus ratings. I took a look at the lifetime ratings of all the Senators and Reps in the 10 states, over the 10 years or so the RLC has been doing these ratings. Over that period, the worst rating for economic or personal freedom from a Wyoming Senator was 57, the worst from a Rep was 65. (To compare, NH was pretty good in that period too, but they did elect some losers; the worst Senatorial rating was 55, about the same, but the worst Rep rating was 25!). The overall average for all Senators and Reps in that period for both freedoms was 73.3 in Wyoming, 68.9 in Idaho, and 68.2 for New Hampshire (those were the top 3).

Personally, these and other measures convinces me these 3 states have the most freedom-leaning populations of our 10, probably of all 50.

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 03:44:25 am »

Hi Freedom Road,

I might have been a little too sketchy.

The House votes are a little different than the Senates votes.

Look at the ethnic Asian sections of the states and then the House districts.

It's public relations.

BobW

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 03:49:42 am »

Hi Zxcv,

I did some research on the Wyoming GOP Liberty Caucus re my relocation.

Spoke to some people here in Virginia and they told me something like the caucus is inactive because it's the same [Wyoming GOP] people.  

Of course, in Virginia, it's needed.

BobW

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 03:59:10 am »

Hi Zxcv,

I did some research on the Wyoming GOP Liberty Caucus re my relocation.

Spoke to some people here in Virginia and they told me something like the caucus is inactive because it's the same [Wyoming GOP] people.  

Of course, in Virginia, it's needed.

BobW

Bob, I am sorry but I am having a hard time understanding you.  Are you saying something like:
Wyoming does not have a Republican Liberty Caucus because an averge Wyoming Republican is very much like a RLC member in other states?

BobW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 08:04:27 am »

Hi Freedom,

Yes, that's correct.  The "typical" Wyoming GOP member is like a Virginia Republican member of the Liberty Caucus.

This is what I was told by local GOPers here.

BobW

Zxcv

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 09:31:31 pm »

That wouldn't surprise me. Maybe the few statists left there need to form a Republican Statist Caucus.   ;D

However the ratings I am talking about were done at the national organization. I'm sure you realize that; just clarifying for any other readers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 09:33:32 pm by Zxcv »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2003, 05:18:05 pm »

Interesting stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up