Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: education in each state con't  (Read 3724 times)

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
education in each state con't
« on: June 12, 2003, 11:53:09 am »

I began checking out ND and AK's education system.

AK has standards based education; their reforms began prior to 1994, but were legislated in 1994, it looks like.  This correlates with Goals 2000 and STW act of 1994.  Most of the dept of ed site has their files in PDF format, which my computer cannot read (don't have adobe acrobat right now).  In checking out what I could read-- it is state mandated that all councelors and those working with career choices students make have to be trained to not be "gender biased"; all curriculum must be screened for gender bias and if it is found must be replaced.  I did not find state outlines or standards qualifying "gender bias."  Does anyone know what they are or where to look for this information?

ND now has an assessment system because of NCLB.  It is a norm reference test with a state specific multiple choice section developed by CTB.McGraw Hill.  The short answer section is limited, and no long answer areas or essays are required.  Parents can opt their children out the assessment, and the test can be "invalidated."  The term was not defined on the site, but I assume it means that the student and the school will not be marked "not meeting standard" because the parents opt the child out.  I am unclear if ND has a total standards based education system-- can anyone shed some light on this.

I was really encouraged by ND's education system until I came to the 21 Century Learning centers and the ND Pathways program.  21st Century is a bad-news grant program, and looking at the ND Pathways program, it is a federally funded program to "help" parents with their child's education.  It looks like this federally funded program is well entrenched in their education system.  http://www.ndpass.minot.com/index2.html
ND has PAT (Parents as Teachers) which is an intrusive, "voluntary" parent education program that includes mandatory home visits, testing how children are developing according to statist standards, etc.  PAT is very, very bad.  Can anyone else put in their two cents about this program?

ND also has a "cream of the crop" Governor's School based out of the University in Fargo.  It appears to promote statist views along with math and science.  The program is all expenses paid, requires mandatory living on campus to do the program, even if the student lives in Fargo, round the clock activities, and team building sessions.  Is anyone familiar with this program?  Also, it is all paid by the state and some "private" donations.

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
Re:education in each state con't
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 12:47:45 pm »

to further discuss this topic-- ND, Montana, and NH do not have approved NCLB plans yet.  The information was outlined on the SD DECA site.  The South Dakota education department is actually called Department of Education and Cultural Affairs.  This is concerning to me, with the data collection on families, family culture, diversity beliefs etc that go on in government schools, but just my concern, not anything tangible.

SD has a plan that has been approved by the feds to comply with NCLB.  Their state assessment is all on-line and each test is completely different. No two student's test will be alike.  It is also stated to be a criterion reference assessment, which all the most invasive, unreliable, and mandatory state assessments are all listed as criterion reference assessments.  There are no provisions I could find to opt out, and there is really no way a parent can check out the test prior to their child taking it, since each is online and produced when the student begins to take the test.  It also states the test is based on the student's ability level, so that means that some sort of assessment, to begin determining the student's ability level will occur before the actual assessment.  This type of system is incredibly dangerous and hard to monitor.  Warning bells are going off for me.  Any SD people able to share what they know about this assessment system?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything