Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boise vs. Cheyenne  (Read 4906 times)

Jim1

Boise vs. Cheyenne
« on: May 22, 2003, 07:59:06 pm »

I have discovered two very important differences between Boise and Cheyenne this month. Boise is significantly warmer and has significantly more computer programming jobs. I had mistakenly assumed they were similar.

My Dice.com search agent for programming jobs (c++ or j2ee) during this last month typically turned up 7 jobs in Idaho and 0 in Wyoming.

The weather averages below show that Boise is significantly warmer than Cheyenne.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USWY0032_f.html

Boise, Idaho
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USID0025_f.html

In addition to significantly lower average temperatures, Cheyenne is consistently windy, which makes it feel even colder. Consistent wind and low humidity probably mean constant discomfort.

Perhaps the worst that can be said about Boise weather vs. Cheyenne is that one month, July, has average highs 2 degrees warmer than here in nothern VA, but Boise still feels cooler because of low hummidity.

Perhaps the best that can be said about Cheyenne vs. Boise weather is that there are two months, December and January, where Cheyenne is one degree warmer in the daytime (but still much colder at night).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 12:43:53 pm by Jim Hammond »

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
Re:Boise vs. Cheyenne
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 04:35:44 am »

When comparing what might be available in Boise as vs. Cheyenne, remember the size difference between the two communities.  Cheyenne really is doing quite well for a small community (as the Forbes list indicates), and I anticipate that the situation there will only improve in the short term as more growth heads toward Wyoming from Denver.  Colorado and Utah are both beginning to lose businesses to Wyoming due to Wyoming's more favorable tax situation.

As for the weather, well, there's really not much that can be done about that.   :)

Do also keep in mind though that when comparing the merits of Boise and Cheyenne, one must also compare the overall merits of the two states in which they're located.  Idaho's larger population and infrastructure would make it a much more difficult prospect for the FSP than Wyoming.  Thus I believe that Boise's benefits, while not insubstantial, cannot offset Idaho's inherent problems.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 10:44:17 am »

The weather averages below show that Boise is significantly warmer than Cheyenne.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USWY0032_f.html

Boise, Idaho
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USID0025_f.html

I agree that Boise is much warmer than Cheyenne, although most of this warmth is during the summer in the way of heat waves.

Neither Boise nor Cheyenne are know for there good weather.

They both have much colder winters than where I am from (Memphis, TN) although it should be pointed out that Idaho and Wyoming have the 2nd and 3rd warmest winters of all 10 FSP states.  Only DE is warmer than the two states in the winter.

Cheyenne has warmer winter days than Boise but the nights are warmer in Boise.  So, I guess, it depends, do you want to be warmer in the day when you are moving around or at night, when you are sleeping in your warm bed.

During the fall and spring, Cheyenne has more mild weather than Boise.  I like the warmer winter days of Cheyenne over the colder winter days of Boise.  As for spring and fall though, Boise has better weather.

Now, the major difference between the two cities, temperature wise, is summer.  Boise has a reputation for having extremely hot and rainless summers. Heat waves above 100 are not uncommon in the Boise area.  Cheyenne, on the other hand, has much cooler summers and even gets a little rain.  A July day in Cheyenne might start at 65 and end up at 86.  Well, in Boise, it might start at 67 and end up at 97.  I do not know how Boise manages to do it, but it is almost as hot as where I live (Memphis, TN) during it summer days.  I would much rather be in Cheyenne during the summer, and I have to assume that almost the entire human race would have to agree, as far as temperatures are concerned.

In fact, overall, I tend to prefer the weather of Cheyenne to the weather of Boise.  Boise gets little rain, little snow, and has very hot summers.  Cheyenne gets little rain (but a little more than Boise), some snow, and has very nice, mild summers.  For more information of Idaho, Wyoming, and weather in the other 8 states, see my Climate Report #3.
http://www.freestateproject.com/climate3.htm

In my opinion, most people would prefer the temperatures of Cheyenne to the temperatures of Boise, by a wide margin.  Neither city has much humidity.  Cheyenne is a little sunnier than Boise.  Boise is noticeable less windy than Cheyenne.  Cheyenne gets around 50 inches of snow a year, while Boise gets around 20 inches per year.  All and all, the weather is pretty similar.

They both have much better weather than most of VT, NH, MT, ME, AK, ND, and SD.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 01:33:42 pm by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 02:25:23 am »

I was in Cheyenne today and when I was being interviewed by the local paper I picked up a copy for myself.  In the Weather section it had projected two day highs for Cheyenne and Boise.

Monday 21st of July
Cheyenne 91 F
Boise 102 F

Tuesday 22nd of July
Cheyenne 89 F
Boise 103 F

Cheyenne is expected to be 90 on Wed, 88 on Th, and 88 on Fri.  Oh, and it was hardly windy in Cheyenne.  The only time where I noticed the wind was during the hotest part of the day, when the breeze felt real nice.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 08:15:58 am »

Monday 21st of July
Cheyenne 91 F
Boise 102 F

Tuesday 22nd of July
Cheyenne 89 F
Boise 103 F

Yes, Boise frequently experiences a lot of weather patterns that come from the coast, half of the West is experiencing a high pressure right now that intensifies the heat.
If you look at temperature averages, Boise averages 7ºF warmer than Cheyenne, year-round, which allows for a few extra weeks of growing season and a few noticeable differences in extreme times of the year.  
Of course, as far as weather goes, we are comparing the 2nd place city with the 3rd-place city for temperatures among our candidate states.
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Leonard

• FSP Participant
  • Practical Anarchist
    • Unruled
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 09:00:15 am »

I've spent time in Idaho in the summer, mostly around Idaho falls, but once in Boise briefly.   The summers there are nothing by comparison to Tennessee summers.  

In the East, you get 95 degrees but the humidity is always high.  Sweat runs freely because it cannot evaporate fast enough.  When it doesn't evaporate, it doesn't cool you.

In the West, sweat works.  You walk around dry all the time no matter how hot it is.  (Just be careful to stay hydrated.)  If you get out of direct sun, even 90 degrees is quite bearable.

It's nice.  But then your vacation ends and you fly back east, and when you get off the plane it is like being smacked in the face with a hot, wet towel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up