Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dividing the membership?  (Read 3593 times)

DW

• I'm a llama!
Dividing the membership?
« on: May 22, 2003, 01:41:10 pm »

Would offering a Western and an Eastern state, provide more membership?

I think so.

My feeling is that too much polarity exists between those attached to their respective geographical areas of the country.

Eliminating that internal struggle could attract many more participants.  Many, especially in the East,  appear to hold back for what I call "wild west syndrome" i.e., fear of the desolate, uncivilized, wilderness.

Despite the appearance of a political movement our success is going to be economically based, especially in the West, where our skills will make the difference.

The easterners, I believe,will have an easier track to prosperity, and the resulting political clout necessary.

What say?

Jon Ellis

• FSP Participant
  • In a single seed is the promise of 1000 forests...
    • Jon F. Ellis
Re:Dividing the membership?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 09:38:54 pm »

Any card-carrying FSP members have already declared that they would make every reasonable attempt to move to the chosen state. I think we're covered there, especially anticipating the "frontier rush" of moving to the state.

Who would let a little thing like state loyalty get in the way of participating in history?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jon F. Ellis
www.JonFEllis.com

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 08:26:21 am »

To be fair, though, many in the west have a feeling that all of New England is an outgrowth of Boston, which is nowhere near true.  ::)

Though to the main point, we had discussed the "two state" idea long ago... We're not going down that road if possible.

Most people in the FSP are willing to jump the Mississippi for Liberty (and some will do it in airplanes! ;D)

JM
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 06:42:48 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Karl

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 08:58:45 am »

Would offering a Western and an Eastern state, provide more membership?

I think so.

It could do the exact opposite.  A split would cause many to see the project as a fraud and seriously harm confidence in the project for many participants.  Many people would leave.  Not to worry, because its been firmly established that there is to be no split.

My sole experience with the west was a week-long visit to Walla Walla, WA.  A wonderful little town and an oasis of civilization in an otherwise desolate landscape.  If the small towns of Wyoming are anything like Walla Walla, this city person would be very happy. :)

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 01:43:42 pm »

This has been discussed in great detail on this very forum.  See:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1177

The idea has already been hashed out in more detail than really needed to be.  The answer is: No.  It's not going to happen.  For more details, read that thread.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

WeHoldTheseTruths

• When in the Course of Human Events...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 02:05:21 am »

I agree that the probability of success is much greater if we keep our efforts focused on a single state for now.  Once that goal is achieved and an example is set, it can only snowball from there.
"I contemplate with sovereign reverence ... Legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." -- Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything