Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: State Debate, like a presidential debate...?  (Read 2183 times)

WHR4

State Debate, like a presidential debate...?
« on: May 08, 2003, 11:35:21 am »

What do you all in the FSP think of holding a State Debate?  Yes, I know, the interaction on this board does amount to a debate.  I'm proposing a more formal, structured debate, such as those used in political campaigngs.

Perhaps we could overcome the distance by making the debate web-based.  The moderators could propose questions to each state representative by email, asking for responses of "n" words or less.  The representatives' responses could then be circulated via email, and they would get another "n" words to counter each others' responses.

We could present the responses in a columnar format.  Perhaps someone could construct a web page that would enable the reader to see selected responses side-by-side, so the reader could choose and compare states.

Even if we wanted to go audio, we could still make it web-based.  The representatives could submit their responses via audio, perhaps recording them on their computers (Windows and Mac both come standard with audio recording applications), and emailing them to the moderators.  I myself would not mind editing the audio files.

I would not mind organizing this project, if I can find enough consensus, talent, and motivation among FSPers to make it happen.  My personal contribution to it would be as "project manager," editing the written or audio responses, and supplying web space if the FSP needed it at my site.

Because there are others who are so much better informed of each state's virtues, I would defer to them to act as state representatives in this debate.  Also, I would rely upon others to come up with questions for the rep's.  Something more focused and enlightening than, "Tell us why your selected state is the best."

So, what do you all think?  Any takers?  Anyone with an urge to act as the debate representative for your favorite state, write penetrating questions, help moderate the debate, and such?

Regards,
William Rice
liberty@williamrice.com

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:State Debate, like a presidential debate...?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 11:52:16 am »

Actually, I know one other person who was interested in organizing this very thing.  His name is Jan Helfeld, and you can reach him at janhelfeld@aol.com .  Between the two of you, perhaps you can get something together.  I will certainly publicize it everywhere, if you get it set up & participants for each state.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 06:17:19 pm »

Hi William:

Seems like a reasonable plan... You pull it together, I'll be happy to be the NH rep! :D

JM

BTW... Welcome to the board...
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

KorkyDay

• Green Party
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 01:52:19 pm »

See also my topic "Live Television Debate Tournament" in this category ("Which State?"), on page 1.  --Korky Day
Korky Day, korkyday@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up