Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Positive comments from those outside the FSP  (Read 5520 times)

cannon

• Mostly Harmless
Positive comments from those outside the FSP
« on: May 01, 2003, 09:00:09 am »

I just read the article at:
http://www.stateline.org/story.do?storyId=302832

I was fairly surprised to see that there were two positive comments from political people outside the FSP / libertarian movement.

One was from Lara Azar, press secretary to Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal:
“They're welcome to participate in the state government, but of course they'll be subject to the same state and federal laws as everyone else.”

The other was from New Hampshire GOP Chair Jayne Millerick:
“If these individuals choose to come to New Hampshire they’ll find an atmosphere that’s very open to grassroots activities and very strong and independent voter participation.”

Does anybody know of other comments from people outside our group that were this positive?

mactruk

• PEACE AND FREEDOM
Re:Positive comments from those outside the FSP
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 10:48:00 am »

Thats nice.  Their job still requires the state to steal from you - some more some less?

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 09:40:22 pm »

Does anybody know of other comments from people outside our group that were this positive?

Yes, New Hampshire state representative Henry McElroy (R, Nashua) has made a number of positive comments about the Free State Project.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 12:38:14 am »

Montana State Senator Jerry O'Neil, who will be a speaker at the Grand Western Conference (sponsored by MTLP).

http://www.freestateproject.org/gwc.htm

mactruk

• PEACE AND FREEDOM
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 03:03:25 pm »

That quote you have from Lara Azar sounds a lot like the real quote from Matthew Mead in the WY Trib Eagle????  He was actually trying to intimidate in that the almighty FED laws have to be blindly followed.  The FED will bail out the week slick politico's who get paid by the hard working man.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 10:48:31 pm »

That quote you have from Lara Azar sounds a lot like the real quote from Matthew Mead in the WY Trib Eagle????  He was actually trying to intimidate in that the almighty FED laws have to be blindly followed.  The FED will bail out the week slick politico's who get paid by the hard working man.

Yes, I see the Azar quote as more neutral than positive.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 12:31:54 am »

I don't believe its unreasonable that they expect us to obey both federal and state law, nor would it be particularly wise for us to advocate anything to the contrary.  Obeying the law does not necessarily equate to blind followship.  I often drive the speed limit in spite of the fact that I believe that it should be higher than it is on certain roads.  I do so, not because I don't object, or am not willing to voice that objection, but because I can't afford the speeding ticket.

On the other hand, they did say that we are welcome to participate in state government, which gives us the vehicle by which to change laws that we disagree with.  They must be aware of the implications of such a statement.

All in all, I believe the "obey the law" comment was generated in response to the reputation that libertarians have developed for radicalism.  And Dave Dawson did campaign for governor in Wyoming while openly admitting that he hadn't paid his income taxes in 20 years.  Perhaps the governor's office believes that the FSP may result in an influx of Dawsons, and suddenly they would not only have one person out there openly challenging the law, but 20,000.

And the thought of 20,000 people acting lawlessly (and likely in a coordinated fashion) would have to be a concern for any governing official.  Given the reputation libertarians have gotten over the years, I'm actually surprised that they weren't even more wary of us.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 01:01:17 am »

Yes, I see the Azar quote as more neutral than positive.

I don't see the Azar quote as amounting to a glowing endorsement or anything, but Democrats stating that a group of limited government advocates are "welcome to participate in state government" is certainly contrary to expectations, and is certainly a contrast to the attitude displayed by Idaho and Montana.  That was what most impressed me about it.

Unfortunately, we don't know how much the respective officials know about the FSP or how the question was put to them.  I'd imagine that the NH GOP chair probably has more information, or more accurate information, about the FSP's intentions given Governor Bensen's relationship with the LP chair.  Hence the comments on "grassroots activities."

But he didn't go so far as to say "We'd like to see them come," or anything, so I don't exactly see it as an endorsement either.

Zxcv

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 12:12:28 am »

Yeah, a lot of this is meaningless political blather.

Whenever we get the "welcome if they obey the law" comment", we should immediately come back with "if we obey the law, will you?" and then refer to the Constitution, both state and federal.

mactruk

• PEACE AND FREEDOM
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 09:41:37 pm »

If Iam not mistaken - it says in our countries docs that any law that is not constitutional is not to be followed?????   does anyone follow this law?  

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 01:48:29 am »

If Iam not mistaken - it says in our countries docs that any law that is not constitutional is not to be followed?????   does anyone follow this law?  

This was one area where the Founders came up short on the Constitution.  They included provisions that essentially amounted to: "the federal government shall only do these certain things...the state governments shall not do these certain things," but they never stipulated any means by which violations of these spheres of authority were to be handled.

Read the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions of 1798 (authored by Jefferson and Madison respectively), as well as the various debates between Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun for thoughts on the issue, particularly with regard to the doctrine of nullification.
Pages: [1]   Go Up