Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Presidential Primary  (Read 4349 times)

nonluddite

• Caveat Emptor!
NH Presidential Primary
« on: April 20, 2003, 07:45:22 pm »

Maybe New Hampshire is the best pick after all!  Because of its tradition of having the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, the FSP could even gain more clout in helping to chose the eventual nominee for both parties.
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door.  You're the one that has to walk through it."- Morpheous, The Matrix

freedomroad

Re:NH Presidential Primary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 09:00:19 pm »

We have already talked about this issue but there is nothing wrong with talking about it again, and again, if you want.

Although someone might find this topic very interesting, I do not.  Basicly, we have to work with pro-freedom groups, then local elections, then regional elections, then state elections, and that is about it for a long time.  We might be able to encourage some people to seek freedom in near-by states but we will have nothing to do with the election of my Commander-in-Chief

I answered this question in my Wyoming Report,
"""
Wyoming Firsts
Wyoming is a trend setting state and the first state in the nation in several different categories. I am not sure how important this factor is; certainly, it is not as important as the first five factors I discussed in this report. However, this factor was brought up on the FSP Forum, when it was mentioned that New Hampshire has the earliest, or first, primary in the nation. This is true, although any state, at any time, can change when it has its election primary. Wyoming has an impressive list of firsts, itself. Some of these may be good while others might be looked at as bad, but one thing is for sure, these trends did catch on in the rest of the country. Many people think that the FSP might spread to other states, in much the same way that Wyoming's firsts have.

Wyoming's Firsts:

First state to allow women to vote
First woman Justice of the Peace
First all woman jury
First woman bailiff
First woman elected to a statewide office (Superintendent)
First woman governor
First town to be governed entirely by women
First national park
First ranger station
First national monument (Devil's Tower)
First national forest
First American rodeo
First state to allow limited liability corporations
"""

Just a few of my thoughts.  Thanks for bringing it up, though.  Some people might think this is an important factor.  In the overall picture, this factor is not even worth considering when you are trying to compare states, IMHO.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 08:21:53 am »

We might be able to encourage some people to seek freedom in near-by states but we will have nothing to do with the election of my Commander-in-Chief

Considering how small the paid membership of New Hampshire's Republican party is, I see no reason why the FSP cannot take it over if we want to (Yes, that is a big "if"). Focusing the support of the NH Republican party on one particular contender for the Republican presidential nomination could easily have a measurable effect.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Zxcv

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 04:35:36 pm »

Maybe New Hampshire is the best pick after all!  Because of its tradition of having the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, the FSP could even gain more clout in helping to chose the eventual nominee for both parties.
But then there's the old saying, "If voting could change anything, they'd make it illegal." I've noticed we haven't gotten very good presidential material lately, despite the fact NH is already in that position, and they are already relatively free. We'll get Caligula for President, long before we'll get another Jefferson.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 10:32:26 am »

I've noticed we haven't gotten very good presidential material lately, despite the fact NH is already in that position, and they are already relatively free.
Perhaps Ron Paul could be convinced to run for the Republican presidential nomination if New Hampshire is chosen for the Free State. His prospects would be poor after the NH primary, but think of the publicity that could be generated for libertarian ideas with a good showing for him in NH.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 11:15:40 am »

We might be able to encourage some people to seek freedom in near-by states but we will have nothing to do with the election of my Commander-in-Chief

Considering how small the paid membership of New Hampshire's Republican party is, I see no reason why the FSP cannot take it over if we want to (Yes, that is a big "if").

I agree with you.  We do not want to tak over any thing.  The FSP is not about taking over, it is about sharing and exchanging and understanding.  

Focusing the support of the NH Republican party on one particular contender for the Republican presidential nomination could easily have a measurable effect.

George, what we need to do is work on the state, not the entire country.  Please, stay with us here.  We should consider how we can help NH or any other state become more free.  Putting a few more conservative or Republican sound bits on CSPAN for 2 min. should not even be a goal or ours.  I am not saying it would be a bad thing, but we have more important things to do.  

None of the Republican possible presidential whipping boys are friends of liberty, anyway.  We should we support a statist on a national issue when are stated mission is to help local freedom lovers?  Ron Paul is not running for President.  He already did that and no one seemed to notice him.

There is no case to be made in any of this as helping the Free State.  

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 09:28:42 pm »

I agree with you.  We do not want to tak over any thing.  The FSP is not about taking over, it is about sharing and exchanging and understanding.  

The NHGOP is rumored to have fewer than 1000 dues-paying members. Perhaps I should say that "it would be easy to be a majority"...  :)

George, what we need to do is work on the state, not the entire country.  Please, stay with us here.  We should consider how we can help NH or any other state become more free.  Putting a few more conservative or Republican sound bits on CSPAN for 2 min. should not even be a goal or ours.  I am not saying it would be a bad thing, but we have more important things to do.  

I agree that we have more important things to do. I don't think New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation presidential primary is a huge advantage for New Hampshire as an FSP choice, but it is a plus.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 06:55:45 pm »

"The NHGOP is rumored to have fewer than 1000 dues-paying members"

Wow.... That puts the LPNH at almost 40% of their size.... I am willing to bet there are only about 500 dues paying members of the Dem party in NH.....
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 07:33:08 pm »

Wow.... That puts the LPNH at almost 40% of their size.... I am willing to bet there are only about 500 dues paying members of the Dem party in NH.....

Unfortunately, the state GOP and Democratic parties have massive, well-funded, and well-organized national organizations to back them up, which no state LP party has.  

I suspect that the FSP will find it far easier to make inroads into state legislatures than into the US House of Representatives, or the Senate.  Democrats and Republicans will bring the big bucks into the state if an LP candidate ever looks like a serious contender for one of the 100 Senate seats, making all of our data for campaign expenditures moot.

Of course, with enough patience and the right candidate groomed in the right way in the state government first....
Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004

Zxcv

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 12:57:36 am »

Unfortunately, the state GOP and Democratic parties have massive, well-funded, and well-organized national organizations to back them up, which no state LP party has.  

All the more reason not to hitch your star to the LP (did I get that expression right?)

Of course the GOP is not above massively funding one or another candidate in the primary - witness what happened to Ron Paul - but then, Ron Paul won anyway, and keeps winning each election with ever-larger margins (hey, maybe freedom sells after all  :) )

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2003, 05:09:51 pm »

"the state GOP and Democratic parties have massive, well-funded, and well-organized national organizations to back them up, which no state LP party has. "

Actually, during the Governor's debates in 2002 (The L John Babiarz was invited to all of them), Benson (R) had a large organization with him, John always had some, and usually the Dem (Fernald) usually had none.

It really looks like the D's here are pretty much there on paper only...

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 08:59:36 pm »

Both of the major parties are very evasive when asked how many dues-paying members they have. The problem may be that New Hampshire folks hate having to pay dues...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything