Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about South Carolina?  (Read 3837 times)

BaptistFundie

• I'm a llama!
How about South Carolina?
« on: April 01, 2003, 10:33:46 am »

I'm not just saying this because I happen to live here...South Carolina has a very independent spirit.  We were the first state to secede from the union, and I see bumper stickers all the time that say things like "The south shall rise again."  When it comes to states' rights (which I think is what the FSP is ultimately about), I don't think any state in the union is more fertile ground for starting such a movement than SC.

But granted, there are a lot of big-government liberals here in this state who won't like having to cut the flow of cash from the federal government...I think we are way too dependent on federal money.  But it's worth a shot.  I think when South Carolinians are given the option of freedom in exchange for federal money, our state will go with freedom.  We've led the way before, and we just might do it again.

exitus

• To face freedom, turn 180º from tyranny.
    • Mercados libres y paz: El Cato Institute
Re:How about South Carolina?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 10:53:14 am »

Please read the theory as to why we are considering only the states we have, especially about how secession is not one of our goals:

http:/State Data Charts

Or the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Or the essay entitled, "What Can 20,000 Liberty Activists Accomplish?"

Nice thought, though,  I'd rather deal with the heat, bugs and humidity of the South than have to go back to a snowy state like Utah where I moved from when I moved to California.  And no, Utah is not being considered either!

Only these states:
WY, VT, SD, ND, NH, MT, ME, ID, DE, AK
Of these, the most likely states and those which have the greatest following seem to be:

AK,ID,NH,SD,WY

". . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue” -- U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 03:48:32 pm »

South Carolina would be a good state for a Southern nationalist version of the FSP. ;)  They'd need about 80,000 activists there, though...
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 05:50:46 pm »

From the FAQ:

Q. But I know that if you really considered [a state not on the list], you would see it should be a target state. Why won't you reconsider?

A. We receive many emails with thoughtful suggestions about why different states should be added to our list of candidate states. However, our project is based on well-researched, documented number-crunching (see this essay), and an absolute cut-off for consideration is a state population below 1.5 million. Additional factors have since eliminated other states. Our project has been set in motion, and we intend to continue to follow the business plan.

:)

Welcome to the board!  ;D

Gabe

• FSP Participant
  • I'm wasting time.
    • Sluggy Freelance
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 08:38:01 pm »

Heheh. I'll move anywhere, but I can't help wishing that the State of Jefferson was on the list.  It would be far and away the best choice, if only it didn't lack political autonomy.  Oh well.

http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
lu'ela .uaiomin. cu nandu lenu facki lo smuni kei bau la lojban. ni'o mi sarji la .uaiomin. .a la .aleskas. lai nuxAmpciraits.

stpeter

• If you want justice, work for freedom.
    • stpeter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 10:00:22 pm »

If there were a lot more people involved in the FSP, I might argue for a 3-state approach: WY or ID out West, NH in the Northeast, and SC in the South. Personally I just don't see a lot of folks from the South moving to NH if that state is chosen (I say this as someone who grew up in Maine and lived in Georgia long enough to understand the differences between North and South). This is yet another reason I like WY -- places out West are neutral with regard to the North vs. South feelings in the East.
Pages: [1]   Go Up