Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPNH Chairman Appointed by Governor to Efficiency in Gov't Commission  (Read 6635 times)

Michelle

• FSP Participant

I thought you might all be interested in knowing that John Babiarz, Chair of LPNH has been appointed by NH Governor Benson to the Efficiency in Government Commission. New Hampshire is destined to lead the way to liberty!

http://www.state.nh.us/governor/pr03_20_03first.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 20, 2003
(603) 674-8703

Governor Signs First Bill
Efficiency Commission Will Find Savings

CONCORD — Today at a bill-signing ceremony in the Executive Council Chamber, Governor Craig Benson signed his first bill into law. HB 171 creates the Efficiency in Government Commission that will search for ways state government can operate more efficiently, saving the taxpayers money.

"When I ran my business, we used to run what I call the parking lot drill. Every now and then you have to put everything out in the parking lot and figure out what you want to throw away and what you want to keep," said Benson. "The Efficiency Commission will run a parking lot drill for state government, examining everything the state does and figuring out ways in which it can do it better. I am proud to makes this bill the first one that I sign into law."

The Efficiency Commission, which was vetoed by Jeanne Shaheen last year, will have fifteen members. The Governor, Speaker, and President of the Senate will each appoint five members. The Governor's five appointees are: Executive Councilor Ray Wieczorek, businessman Jesse Devitte, Verizon's Mike Hickey, gubernatorial candidate John Babiarz, and entrepreneur Rick Wickson.

The Commission is expected to report back by June 1st of this year.

Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

freedomroad

Re:LPNH Chairman Appointed by Governor to Efficiency in Gov't Commission
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 01:07:39 pm »

A few comments:

No state should ever have to make such a commission and the whole idea is very redundant.  Now, a private auditing company would make sense.  The company should get paid based on how much the state governments budget gets cut.  This would be a great job for a libertarian organization.

Creating such a commission is not a legitimate use or role of government.  

The commission is very large.  It sounds like another government program.  Will the members start getting free lunches and new cars (from lobbyists) if they do not cut certain programs?

I wonder what power the commission actually has?  Personally, since the commission is not elected, I do not want it to have any, actual power.  I hope to is just allowed to make suggestions.

Even with all of the above said, I am very glad that a Libertarian is on such a board.  I am also glad that one of our own, John, is the libertarian on the board.  However, it will be quite funny if the NHLP starts counting this position as another Libertarian serving in NH's government.

This commision reminds me of government controlled socialized school teaching positions.  I wish they never were created but as long as they are, I would like them all to be filled with libertarians.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 11:21:42 pm by FreedomRoad »

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 02:07:36 pm »

The commission is very large.  It sounds like another government program.  Will the members start getting free lunches and new cars (from lobbyists) if they do not cut certain programs?

Is the governor appointing a fellow candidate for governor to keep the candidate quite or to bribe him for helping the governor during the campaign season?

I find it very hard to believe that you would make such snide comments.

John Babiarz is a member of the Free State Project and the chair of LPNH. He has just been appointed by the governor to work on a committee  formed to identify ways to make the state gov't more efficient and less costly - in one of the ten targeted states!

This is an extraordinary achievement for John and could be very important for working toward the achievement of FSP goals. Of course, in an ideal world such a committee would not be necessary. But there is no such ideal place in the U.S. - if there was, FSP wouldn't be necessary. But, the formation of such a committee and the appointment of a Libertarian to work on that committee is proof that NH is making strides in a positive direction.

So, once a state is chosen and an FSP member (as I have already pointed out, John *is*) is appointed by the governor to work on a comiitee like this, will you belittle the achievement by saying that the committee is too large, or shouldn't be necessary, or wondering publicly if it is a bribe??!

Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 02:11:57 pm »

I agree that the appointment is a good thing, though I doubt it has much to do with the "which state" question. ;)  The appointment is a good thing because, although it remains to be seen how much the commission will be able to accomplish, it gives the LPNH and libertarian ideas some prominence, and could provide some political ballast for the LPNH down the road (for example, if a popular proposal of the commission gets rejected by the legislature).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 09:17:48 pm »

No state should ever have to make such a commission and the whole idea is very redundant.

Nonsense. The commission members will not be paid and will simply make suggestions. Coming up with good ideas to reduce the size of government is an excellent idea. By several measures New Hampshire already has one the smallest state governments in the nation and hopefully this commission will help to make it even smaller.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Zxcv

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 10:55:55 am »

Keith's pessimism is not without foundation. Very often, commissions are just a PR ploy, never intended to actually accomplish anything.

It is a hopeful sign that they are not paid, and that Shaheen vetoed it. But we'll see if they come up with anything. Let us know if any government office or function ever gets cut.  ;)

Our libertarian think tank in Oregon has a "Better Government Competition" where any citizen may suggest improvements and cost savings. Several have been passed into law. This makes a lot more sense to me. The think tank we make in our chosen state (if we have to make one) ought to do the same.
http://www.cascadepolicy.org/bgcresults.asp

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 10:39:00 am »

"though I doubt it has much to do with the "which state" question"

This DOES make John the ONLY Libertarian in state-wide office, does it not?

Also, NH has a very libertarian governor, who is actually cutting the budget (you should have heard the Keene Sentinel scream about 5-15% cuts!)...

I don't believe there is a single other state (including our "final 10") where the Governor in power has appointed a Libertarian to such a high post.... ever.

Benson knows darn well who John is, and had enough respect for his ideas to appoint him to the commision.

Everything I read about Benson makes me like him more and more... You know, unless the LPNH has a GREAT candidate for Governor next year, I am beginning to think we should cross-nominate Benson.

A very libertarian Governor was elected here in NH 2:1 in 2002... This is a sign of how commited to libertarian ideals NH residents are, including our Governor.

James Maynard
http://www.jmaynard.org

The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 04:11:49 pm »

Don't forget that Governor Benson has donated his entire salary toward creating monetary rewards for state employees who come up with the best ideas to save the state money.

If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 02:04:11 pm »

Hi folks:

This news is now on the national LP web site, and should be a major story in the LP news next month....

LP version below with link....

New Hampshire LP State Chair is named to Efficiency Commission

The Libertarian Party of New Hampshire's 2002 candidate for governor has been named to a new statewide commission that will work to cut government waste and spending.

John Babiarz, who also serves as New Hampshire LP State Chair, was named on March 20 by Republican Governor Craig Benson to serve on the state's new Efficiency Commission.

The commission has been assigned the task of examining state government, reviewing everything the state does, and determining ways to do it better, more efficiently, and at lower cost, said Babiarz.

"[I am] looking forward to working with the commission members in this important task," he said. "Governor Benson has indicated he will veto any tax increases. The commission will provide the guidance to keep state spending in check, so no tax increases will need to be considered."

The 15-member commission is scheduled to issue a report on June 1, 2003. It was created under authority of HB 171, which Benson signed into law on March 20.

"It takes great courage to reach outside of the party to do what is best for New Hampshire," said Babiarz. "Governor Benson showed that courage in making this appointment and [I am] willing and able to get the job done.

"Governor Benson and myself campaigned for reducing the cost of government. He means it, and so do I."

http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0305/nh_efficiencycomm.html
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up