Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APOLOGIES...BIG STATE BAD...SMALL STATE GOOD!!!  (Read 3834 times)

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
APOLOGIES...BIG STATE BAD...SMALL STATE GOOD!!!
« on: February 20, 2003, 09:51:10 am »

------------originally posted to the SD yahoogroup a few days ago--------

Hi All...Eating Crow this morning...had a revelation last night after some deep thought about these issues...
I was very, very wrong about two things mainly...
Only a small state with a low population can become a successful Free State Project State...
South Dakota is too big...(see I can admit I was wrong)
Only one state will ultimately fit this description and at this point it appears to be New Hampshire...
Two states would not work for the FSP...(see I can admit I was wrong)
Again...for all to hear and pass on to all the groups, lists, and forums...
I was WRONG...South Dakota is desirable for many reasons...but not for political ones...
I was using criteria not related to political success because I am not a political person...
I hate politics...I hate having to associate with people just to be free...
From the beginning of time...men who stood alone were destroyed by those who gathered together...
One person does not stand a chance against a group of many...
Especially when the many see something they want from the one person...

This is our sinful human condition...it cannot be escaped...therefore please read the following...

According to the Rand McNally...The NH cage is 8,969 square miles (44th in size amongst the 50)
The state's small geographical size coupled with it's 100 years of additional maturity give it an incredible networking "cage"...

When all the rabbits are in one little cage it's very easy for them to reproduce...
Obviously this carries over to any "movement" or activity within the state...

All of us have different desires as far as living areas and arrangements go...
This can be seen in the fact that we have 50 states and people in all of them...

The free state project is a purely political adventure and therefore the state selected should be one with as small a geographical area as physically possible coupled with a small population.  Obviously one of the small eastern states is the only real candidate for the free state project.

Let me repeat...FOR PURELY POLITICAL REASONS AND POLITICAL EXPEDIENCY...a small state with a small population is the only way to go...
New Hampshire should be very high on the list when this is the only consideration...

I think we have all been wrong to look at the state selection from so many prospectives...

Only criteria explicitly pertaining to political success should be allowed...

Factors not bearing directly and totally on the state's ability to deliver political success should be excluded...

There is not a western state or a large geographically sized state that can deliver what the free state project needs with reference to political activism...

Jason and Elizabeth...you should announce this in an email to every current and future member...

That way they don't make the same mistakes that so many of us have made...

We were thinking as freedom-loving, liberty-minded individuals and not as Hampsters...

We need a small cage so we can be very close together and reproduce like Hampsters...

I don't even see a reason to vote...there can be only one state that is the best politically...

Excluding all non-relevant factors...

Having said that...I am not a politician and I don't even like politicians...

Our governments should be small and impotent with all members acting on a volunteer basis...

And any action that is proposed should require unanimous consent...

With unanimous consent we would NOT have many "regulations" at all and would still be a "free" country...

Many of us in the FSP have wasted an extreme amount of valuable time because we aren't political minded and we made a big big mistake...

In fact, we may actually accelerate our growth if we quit trying to add more variables to the equation...

We should take away any criteria that is not completely relevant to political objectives and success...

Now I must decide if I personally value the purely political objectives of the FSP and can move to the only and best state for political success...

That being said...I concede total error and defeat...

New Hampshire is by leaps and bounds the best state...the only state...for the FSP...

Why even vote...we have 2500 activists who could begin moving right away...

Jason and Elizabeth...please post this on all the forums, lists, and groups so we can help others to see the light...

I was wrong and many others are wrong also...we have been factoring variables which have no direct bearing on our political success...

I would like to thank everyone who has corresponded with myself and the groups because without it...I would not have seen the light...

As you all know I came to SD and traveled the state in an effort to find a place to live...
I announced myself to many different people and groups in SD and I must say that I didn't receive alot of positive response...
This should serve as testimony that a large state with a small dispersed introverted population is not the state for the FSP...
I am going back to Ohio...regrouping...and then heading towards another state...gee, I wonder which one...lol

I really feel stupid, but at the same time quite relieved that I have seen the light...
Maybe my public ranting will serve others better than it served me initially...

PS-This Eating Crow Stuff sucks...but I must tell the truth...even if it only appears to be my opinion...

Sincerely,
Rob Jacobs
Official Apologist...LOL

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
Re:APOLOGIES...BIG STATE BAD...SMALL STATE GOOD!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 11:51:15 am »

Only a small state with a low population can become a successful Free State Project State...
This has been a consideration from the beginning . . .

South Dakota is too big...(see I can admit I was wrong)
Too big geographically?

Only one state will ultimately fit this description and at this point it appears to be New Hampshire...
Delaware and Vermont are also smaller states with far lower populations

I was WRONG...South Dakota is desirable for many reasons...but not for political ones...
Could you elaborate?

According to the Rand McNally...The NH cage is 8,969 square miles (44th in size amongst the 50)
The state's small geographical size coupled with it's 100 years of additional maturity give it an incredible networking "cage"...
Delaware has an even far smaller "cage" and its the first state with a history going back even another hundred years of European settlement before New Hampshire, so what?  Rhode Island should be even more qualified than back-woods New Hampshire in this matter, it was the constitution from that civilized Rhode Island which inspired Madison to promote the First Ammendment, but what does that have to do with now?

We also live in the day of the Internet and all sorts of forms of mass- communication.  We will also naturally spread-out  ourselves across a whole state, so I think it is a little less important that we all live huddled together "like rabbits in a cage," so to speak.
All of us have different desires as far as living areas and arrangements go...
exactly.  A little too much, sometimes, it seems, considering that we are all going to the same state.

Let me repeat...FOR PURELY POLITICAL REASONS AND POLITICAL EXPEDIENCY...a small state with a small population is the only way to go...
New Hampshire should be very high on the list when this is the only consideration...
New Hampshire has the highest population, just behind Idaho.  

I think we have all been wrong to look at the state selection from so many prospectives. . .
Only criteria explicitly pertaining to political success should be allowed...  Factors not bearing directly and totally on the state's ability to deliver political success should be excluded...
Agreed.  What exactly are those criteria?  We've already excluded Hawaii, not for population numbers, climate or proximity to volcanoes, but for the existing welfare-state mentality of that population.

There is not a western state or a large geographically sized state that can deliver what the free state project needs with reference to political activism...
 What if we have several different groups of activists located near each population center in a big Western state and we basically ignore that 1% of the population that lives on 400 acre ranches in the middle of nowhere that are probably already in agreement with us anyways?  There has already been extensive research into population densities and size of cities and so forth, and all of these arguments, back and forth.  States like Wyoming do not seem to suffer so much from being spread-out across a whole state, as most of the population lives in a few cities.

In fact, we may actually accelerate our growth if we quit trying to add more variables to the equation...
Much of the variables added so far are in an effort to further discover the 'big picture' of political climate and factors completely relevant to success.

We should take away any criteria that is not completely relevant to political objectives and success...
I completely agree, I have been arguing tirelessly that a border to Canada or to a sea port are completely and entirely irrelevant and are factors that are not even worthy of our consideration.

Why even vote...we have 2500 activists who could begin moving right away...
 OK, I'll move to Idaho. I should be ready by next month.  ;)

As you all know I came to SD and traveled the state in an effort to find a place to live...
I admire your dedication and willingness.  I have anxiously awaited your report since you announced that you had moved.

I announced myself to many different people and groups in SD and I must say that I didn't receive alot of positive response...
 Could you tell us where in the state you went and how many people you may have talked with?

PS-This Eating Crow Stuff sucks...but I must tell the truth...even if it only appears to be my opinion...
 I know the feeling, it usually happens successively when you are in a passionate quest to discover truth.  Sometimes when the eating-crow gets too tiresome, I try being humble.  Of course, too bad humility is not one of my natural character traits.  ;)
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

Zxcv

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 01:05:23 pm »

Rob, humility shows character, that's all I can say.  :)

You're to be commended on going out and actually checking one state out. I'd like to hear more of your experiences, particularly on receptivity to you as a prospective new inhabitant and FSPer.

However, I don't understand one comment of yours. You said you like a (physically) small state with a small population, then recommended NH. NH is currently third largest in population, and by 2025 will be second largest. So it doesn't fit your prescription.

When all the rabbits are in one little cage it's very easy for them to reproduce...
I don't want to be in a little cage. I want to escape the cage. Besides, the smaller the cage, the worse for the rats in it, as any study in that sort of thing will show. Behavior just goes down hill.

The free state project is a purely political adventure and therefore the state selected should be one with as small a geographical area as physically possible...
I do not understand your reasoning here, can you expand a bit on this?

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 05:18:04 pm »

I wanted to reply to some of the questions my earlier comments raised...

Currently we are considering the following states:AK,DE,ID,ME,MT,ND,NH,SD,VT,MT

Out of these candidate states we should choose the state which will result in our most rapid success.  The sooner we succeed...the sooner other people in other states will follow...

A state with a small geographical land area will make it much easier for us to network physically and personally(we must not count on the internet to help us communicate because it may not always be available)...

A state with a low population is also desirable but we must also take into consideration that current population's "political make-up"...and also the state's respect of each person's right to keep and bear arms...

The only candidate states with small geographical land areas are DE,NH,VT....

NH has the best combination of political make-up and activism, respect for individual right to keep and bear arms, and relatively small population...

I know it's a continual toss-up between a few states...

And if we weren't moving for the sole purpose of intense one-on-one activism...I'd go right now to SD or WY and stay there til I passed on...

But our (THE FSP'S) objective is plain, simple, and straight-forward...

To go to one state and do the most good in the least amount of time possible...

I firmly believe that NH presents itself as the best possible state for this to occur in the least amount of time....

I know we have all changed our minds several times...and I have to be honest that I may change mine again...but not until I have sampled NH like I did SD...

Oh, by the way, I was referred to one specific individual in SD that everyone said was very active in the LP...and although I did receive one or two emails from him...repeated phone calls remained unanswered and I wasn't impressed...

I wasn't impressed with the lack of interest shown by other residents of the state...

Well, more later...I am being called to dinner...

Sincerely,
Rob and Beth Jacobs

mactruk

• PEACE AND FREEDOM
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 04:28:13 pm »

Most small states dont have the needed natural resources to have the independent local gov needed to pull this off.  You got to be able support yourself or you (as a gov) will have to bend to the fed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything