Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Need For A Compromise State  (Read 4515 times)

Ben F. Irvin

• Kahe', Sho' da' she'
    • Dr. Irvin's Cherry Wood Tampers, etc.
The Need For A Compromise State
« on: August 03, 2002, 01:55:21 pm »

It is important that all FSP members begin to think about the ideal compromise state.  The state eventually selected should be a consensus choice...one that bests accommodates urbanites, Easterners, Westerners, Southerners, freedom lovers, the money hungry, etc.
There are only a few states that qualify.  Start thinking about which states have a large urban center (or two),
open space, freedom, warm & dry climate, warm & wet climate, cool dry & wet climates, cold climates, etc.  We need to select a state that has a good balance between urban and rural population, and both farming and wilderness areas.  In summary we need to select a state where FSP'ers from Newark, South Carolina, Maine, Arizona,  Alaska, and Iowa would all be happy; for, the chosen state should have regions where all the beforementioned would feel at home.
Ben

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re:The Need For A Compromise State
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 02:17:39 pm »

This seems premature.  We need to think about getting more members before we have to worry about this.  We're at 10% of the people who will decide the state, so efforts now at such a decision are wasted,
IMO.

Ben F. Irvin

• Kahe', Sho' da' she'
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 02:25:00 pm »

It is a bit early to pick a state; however, people need to begin thinking what state serves the greatest good for the greatest number.  The WY and DE factions are a good example; for, neither state would be at all satisfactory for a majority.
Ben

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 02:31:27 pm »

Actually, Delaware is an important compromise state in one respect: between warm-climate and cold-climate factions.  Delaware is the only state we're considering (besides New Mexico, which is probably dead in the water ;)) that has a fairly warm climate.  Of the things you mention, the only thing it doesn't have is wilderness.  It has an urban center, open space and small towns, a variety of weather, and so on.  But as I mentioned before, I think a compromise state will develop naturally in the vote.  Compromise states will receive small numbers of votes from everyone and that could put them over the top.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Ben F. Irvin

• Kahe', Sho' da' she'
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 02:51:46 pm »

Delaware is just the opposite of a compromise state.  Its climate is all the same.  We have several states in our FSP list that have locations where it seldom freezes, and in the same state, has areas where one can have a snow-ball fight on the 4th of July. What if I desire a climate where it never gets over 80 degrees....or a climate where it seldom snows?  I have shown (in other reports) that Lewiston, Idaho has the same average January temperatures as Nashville, TN.  Indeed it often doesn't snow in Lewiston...with over 200 frost free days, one could raise cotton.  Idaho also has parts where it freezes in July.  Idaho also has Boise (400,000+ metro) and nearby Spokane (600,000+ and bordering ID).  Idaho has urban, rural, wilderness, hunting (rats don't count), areas.  Other compromise states with the beforementioned diverse qualities would include NM and NV (picking oranges and having snow-ball fights in the same state on the same day).  
Ben

Freestatepatriot

• FSP Participant
    • The Christian Independent
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2002, 08:40:32 pm »

Though I'm favoring NH, my wife and I would gladly move to Idaho.  This is both for personal reasons and because it seems like a good state in general.

Adam G.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 01:29:41 am »

Joe wrote:

<<I believe all of the candidates have equal chance of success...It's a toss up.>>

Churchill once wrote that success or failure rests not on  the obvious decisions but rather on those which appear to be six of one, half a dozen of another.

I'm like you; I can't tell at all from this debate which of the 6 top contenders is the best choice.  And that worries me.  Becuase one of them surely is, and we're missing it.

Best solution I can think of:  Improve the state reports page so that it tells us more in the smallest space possible.   Perhaps it also needs to deveote more attenion to the likelihood we'll be welcomed in a given state.

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 09:29:02 pm »

Hank - why are you bringing back all these old, old threads? If you really have something to add to it, okay, but this is like the tenth one in a few minutes. People won't be too happy when they go looking for their current discussions tomorrow morning.  :P
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything