Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: North Dakota report  (Read 12217 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
North Dakota report
« on: December 07, 2002, 11:02:08 am »

Tim Condon's North Dakota report has been added.

http://www.freestateproject.org/ndreport.htm
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Franklin

• Wyoming or Dakotas
Re:North Dakota report
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 01:31:52 pm »

Did you agree with all of Tims points President Sorens?  

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 03:24:47 pm »

It's a pretty objective report, so I can't find fault with it. :)  However, we do need some more info on ND as far as economy (some hard numbers on industries) and politics (incumbency rates, citizen attitudes), so if there's anyone here who is well acquainted with North Dakota, please write a second report for us!  That goes for other states as well: particularly Vermont, Maine, and Delaware.  We also still need reports on Wyoming and South Dakota.  I've brought this up with the Research Committee today, actually.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Franklin

• Wyoming or Dakotas
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 03:44:57 pm »

Jason I would be willing to be on that committee and write on those states...although I have not taken the plunge yet due to the fact I am married and I still need to convince my wife.  

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 12:34:46 pm »

That's OK, you don't have to be a signed-up participant to be a committee member.  Email me at jason.sorens@yale.edu and I'll add you to the email list for the Research Committee.

mtPete

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 02:07:27 am »

Couple corrections/additions.

On the immegrants: actually many of the Germans were technically Germans from Russia. They were a class of excellent German Farmers who emmegrated to the southern steppes of Russia (at the urging of Catherine the Second) . They ended up leaving Russia em mass for Manitoba, North Dakota, and Alberta when Russia turned hostile towards them and started restricting their freedoms in Russia.  For more information see: http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/GFR/index.htm

While North Dakota does lack mountains and forest, it is in very close proximity (you can get there in a day) with SD (Black Hills), WY (Big Horns, YellowStone), and MT. So vacation possibilities in the mountains are not far away. Also, Lake Sakajawea offers some of the best walleye fishing in the US.

Economically, Fargo and Bizmark are hot spots and were recently sited as a couple of the bright spots in our economy nationwide. The western edge is also rich in oil (part of the Williston Basin Formation). Minot and Grand Forks both have air force bases for those military bound. ND's missile silo's are supposedly decomissioned. I think ND also has a strong National Guard and Air National Guard.

This is all off the top of my head, some minute details might not be completely accurate. I'm from [extreme] Eastern MT. All our TV stations (and hence news) are out of ND and I know many from western ND so I am quite familier with ND.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 04:00:41 am »

mt pete, what part are you from. My mothers current husband is from Williston, ND area and spent alot of time in the Montana area close by. If you are from that area you we may know some of the same people.

Franklin

• Wyoming or Dakotas
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 09:36:03 am »

MTPete you should write a follow up to Tim Condon's essay.  He didn't cover much on the issue of political climate.

SandyPrice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 05:28:27 pm »

Taylor.  Tell your wife that Mel Gibson might be there and stand back!!!

mtPete

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 12:05:52 am »

I'd don't know a whole lot on politics in ND. I hail from Sidney. I don't know ND's political history but they've had Republican governors and Democratic Congressmen for several years. I'm not really sure why. Maybe you could ask residents of Wyoming who recently elected a Democratic governor of all parties. I think part of the reason is Dems and GOPs get elected everywhere is that they all just shift their viewpoints accordingly. Our here in Eastern MT we still have democrats, they can sometimes be more conservative than Republicans back east. People tend to just gravitate to two opposing sides.

I'll tell you one thing though, ND is probebly one of the least known, least appreciated states in the Union and they feel it. The nation has an attitude of who cares about ND. That could play in our favor.

ND also has the same problem as most non-mountain rural states, too few young people. When they graduate, the kids tend to leave the state. The end result is that the population is aging. Not a very very promising future as far as a tax base, or communitee is concerned. That is why they went so far as to pass that initiative to pay people several thousand dollers to stay in state (a despirate move, but one that pays off in the long run). I would say that ND might just welcome us with wide open arms.

ND is also very rural-ag. This means the people are independent minded. It also means they are sympathetic to issues like industrial hemp, which would be a serious boom to ND's farmers. I do beleive the legislature passed a bill a while back supporting IH. (you would have to look it up for the details)

One of ND's main industries is agriculture (like SD, MT & WY). For those of you who arn't familier with ag; agriculture(nationwide) has been in a depression for the last decade, and in a continual downslide since the mid 70's. This is due to a lot of factors, but mainly corporate monopolies, environmentalism, and unfair trade (support fair trade not 'free' trade).  Prices for wheat and cattle havn't increased at all since the 60's, while all the expenses for farming have increased with inflation. Right now 2 & 3 dollars per bushel for wheat is common. In the 60's we had 5 & 6 dollar wheat. In the Great Depression we had $2 wheat. I've read that if you figure for inflation we should have 28 dollar wheat today. I havn't heard figures lately but one year in the mid 90's it was so bad they were figuring in ND that 40% of all the farmers were in danger of folding. Things are so bad that the vast majority of the farmers I know have encouraged their kids not to continue farming. I can really only think of two family farms where the kids are continuing the farm. The average age of a farmer is in the 50's or 60's.

What does all that mean. Well, rural western states are in a crunch. They're looking for any economic help they can get (including us). Also if things don't turn around in the ag economy things are going to start changing. An entire culture is threatening to disappear. The enviros would love it. They want to turn the Great Plains in to one big animal preserve with no humans. They are doing everything they can through litigation, laws, terrorism and wolves to wipe out farming and ranching. Now for those of you who live in the cities you might not care. But what will happen if the same thing happens to food that happened to oil? Do you really want a repeat of the situation in the middle east, but this time over food. It's one thing if you can't gas your car, its an entire different matter if you can't put food on your childrens plate. But those in Washington could care less and are doing nothing. There are laws on the books to deal with the harmfull monopolies who are intentionally working to enslave the farmers of America. But they refuse to enforce them. Free Trade of the Americas is looming on the horizon and South America would love nothing more than to export their cheap food to the U.S. , driving out of business our farms and ranches. GWB is happy to accomodate their wishes. Oh, and by the way, China and communism are rapidly growing influences in SA. Just what we need.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 09:31:39 am »

How can the price of food skyrocket when we're importing cheap food from all over the world?  You protectionists can't have it both ways.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 12:08:03 pm »

How can the price of food skyrocket when we're importing cheap food from all over the world?  You protectionists can't have it both ways.
Wow, you woke up on the wrong side this morning.

mtPete

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 01:44:13 am »

I'm sorry,I wasn't very clear. What I was refuring to was not the price of food, that is a trivial matter. No I was referencing the dependence on foreign entities (potentially hostile to us) for a vital (the most vital) food. Can you just imagine the situation we would be in now if we depended on the middle east for food instead of oil.

It is suicide to create dependence on foreign nations for our food, especially when this isn't necessary. If by protectionist you mean I want to protect America and her security then ya, thats me.

Ask yourself, do you really want to depend on some communist or jihadist, with a burning hatred for America, for your food supply?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2002, 09:12:19 am »

Well, this isn't the place to argue about protectionism versus free trade; that should be in the General Libertarian Discussion.  I'm just surprised that a member of the FSP would advocate such blatant government interference in the free market.  Free trade is the cornerstone of free-market economics.

mtPete

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2002, 10:36:49 pm »

Sorry to get off subject. I come from a farming background. We have for far too long been hurt by poor government policies. Any rural ag state will have many with a similer view as mine concerning trade. Farmers in both ND and MT have held rallys at the border where they dumped grain in the middle of the highway to protest the cheap subsidised Candian grain comming south. ND's previous governor for a time was having the state highway patrol stop canadian grain trucks comming south. (can't remember the exact details there) Free trade is one thing, but we can't let that get in the way of controling our own borders and protecting our food supply.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up