Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many potential porcupines? One in a thousand?  (Read 3508 times)

Solitar

How many potential porcupines? One in a thousand?
« on: October 19, 2002, 02:00:02 pm »

One in a thousand!
Think about your own city or county. Could one in a thousand be recruited to move?

The one in a thousand who really are Free Staters should give up the futile fight back home and pack up and leave for a new Free State. They won't be missed where they come from but, as a group of at least one hundred thousand they would be invaluable to each other in a Free State - even if they only came to live and vote and not get more involved than that.

The one in a thousand are so outnumbered! Talk to neighbors, friends, relatives, coworkers, and acquaintances. Find out just how far their "libertarian" sentiment actually goes when it applies to their neighborhood or to morals or "values" they wish to impose on others or to taxes and government services.

Find that one in a thousand person who has had it and wants to move to Freedom. The ideal that many Free Staters quest for needs the support of those who support nearly the entire program. Those one in a thousand are nearly three hundred thousand opportunities!

How many true friends of liberty? Maybe ten or twenty in my county of supposedly 7,800 people (of which only about 6,500 are Americans - the others are here temporarily as migrant workers). Is that all? Are you not being overly pessimistic? No, I am not. Many of those who voice support for freedom will demand and have demanded most of the laws, codes, and regulations we now struggle against. They may gripe about having to get a permit but they support zoning and building codes. They may talk about property rights but they demand laws against a junk car in their neighbor's yard.

Often I regard the other residents of this nation and consider whether they would be allies for Jeffersonian freedoms or whether they would be foes fighting to preserve the laws and regulations and government benfits and services they've come to rely upon. In far too many faces I see people who would, or have proven to me that they are, foes to Jeffersonian freedoms.

Maybe there are one in a thousand really sincere and committed liberty-minded people.  How can the FSP find and recruit them?

Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 10:57:23 am by Joe, aka, Solitar »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:One in a thousand - recruitment & qualifications
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 05:46:56 pm »

Of course, advertising that we want "one in a thousand" doesn't mean that we'll actually get one in a thousand, but I definitely like the idea.  We need to translate the "take part in history" appeal of the FSP into our public image somehow.  Some have suggested having a public roll of signers on our webpage with hometown and signup date - that would be difficult to implement at this stage, however.  Another idea was to distribute a flash movie portraying the Free State Project as a second Declaration of Independence or something like that.  Those with a creative bent, please give this some thought. :)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

mlilback

• I'm nobody's llama!
    • home page
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 07:23:23 pm »

I just noticed that problem last night, and might need to move sooner. Apparently our "free-market" mayor here in NYC, Mike Bloomberg, wants to ban smoking in restaurants and bars. It looks like he can get it through the city council without any kind of public debate. The businessman who doesn't like government regulation is now going to tell business owners if they can smoke in their establishments.

(And I've never understood going to a bar w/o smoking. I'm only a casual smoker, but I can't see sitting at a bar for an hour without a cigarette.)

Mark

cathleeninsc

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 02:17:05 pm »

As consumers we all want quality services, products and safe food. In a free state I will look for quality seals, inspection notices or anything else a business can show me. I will be satisfied especially if these assurances are not coming from the government. Since I suspect that I am not alone, maybe we/I could establish independent inspection services in the free state. I think it might be a promising business opportunity.

Cathleen in SC

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 03:50:29 pm »

We need to translate the "take part in history" appeal of the FSP into our public image somehow.  Some have suggested having a public roll of signers on our webpage with hometown and signup date -

Is the FSP still going to do this?  

I'm still ready and willing to put my 'John Hancock' to such a roll!
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 08:20:32 pm »

Too cumbersome, labor-intensive, and time-consuming. :P  It's a neat idea, but it would have been good to execute back when we had 500 members.  I do like the idea of some kind of flash presentation about the FSP.  That could be inspiring if well done.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 09:10:36 pm »

Something simple yet powerful like this?:  
The Philosophy of Liberty . . . http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

(This presentation was a project done by two freedom activists who I hope will someday join the FSP) .
NOTE: PLEASE GO EASY WITH THIS SITE, THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH BANDWIDTH TO SPARE!!  Load only once, wait, be patient.
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 10:48:39 am »

Yes, something like that!

Scott ISMP

• Founder of ISM Project!
Re:One in a thousand - recruitment opportunities
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 11:16:59 am »

We at FSP want everyone feel that they are welcome to FSP (as long as there not viloent).  I think if we talk to people to acaully make them understand that..

1.  All types of classes are joining FSP to get the same freedoms

2.  Anyone is welcome to FSP (as long as there is no violentce (SP) )

Scott
ISM Project
Pages: [1]   Go Up