Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Booster Plan: One way to make a good first impression in the chosen state  (Read 9968 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

I'm thinking of submitting this as a possible article/essay on our site.  Any feedback?   Corrections?  Suggestions for improvement?

--------------------------------

The Booster Plan: One way to make a good first impression in the chosen state.

If current projections are accurate, we should hit the 5,000 member mark around summer or autumn of 2003.  Free State selection is close at hand.

Much of our energy is going into this selection process.  But the minute we make the choice an even greater challenge will be loosed upon us, that of earning support within the chosen state.  The first days, even the first hours after FS selection may be critical.  They will mark the moment when many FS residents first hear of us, and we won't get a second chance to make that first impression.

We need a plan to help ensure the impression is a good one...a plan *and* the means to carry it out.  

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that it's July 15 and we've just picked current front runner Wyoming.  Here's what we could do during that first week to make sure Wyoming residents see this as good news.  

1) Announce the initiation of a "buy Wyoming" campaign encouraging Porcupines to immediately and continually support Wyoming's economy.  

2) Initiate - or support - some kind of effort to help recruit businesses to Wyoming.  

3) Initiate or join some kind of effort to support Wyoming in her current squabbles with the Feds.  

These steps would benefit from consultation with the state's current residents and liberty-friendly institutions.  In fact, it might be best to defer to them and let them be the ones who fill in the "details" of each step.  

In theory, at least, taking the actions above might allow us to turn our outsider status, our temporary distance from Wyoming, into an advantage both for us and for current residents.  We might be able to boost the state's economy a bit, creating jobs without initially taking up any ourselves.  We could spot business recruitment possibilities that might go unnoticed by those inside the state.  And, unlike current WY residents, we would be in physical proximity to any power-grabbing out-of-state politicos who are messing with the freedoms of her residents.  Lawful protest outside their offices would be possible.

But I use the words "in theory" for a reason.  Taking this from plan to execution is the hard part, and we are not yet up to the challenge.  We need a better-mobilized, better-organized volunteer base, both to make it happen and to make sure the state's residents *know* it happened.

So how do we do that?  I don't have all the answers.  But I've done one thing I hope will help, not just with the Booster idea but with other FSP projects.  I've set up a message board thread at http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1471   where folks like *you* can let us know you are a potential  volunteer and what kinds of bite-sized projects you might enjoy volunteering for.

With dedication and humility we can prove ourselves to be what we are:

An instant diaspora of future Wyomians
  Eager to embrace the state's traditions and values
     Fiercely dedicated to the liberty and prosperity of her citizens.

- D.O.
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA

A sort of "Operation First Impression"... and a very good idea.

First we'd want to introduce ourselves, explaining who and what we are.  Here's one possible example:

"The Free State Project is dedicated to preserving our great American heritage of individual liberty in a day when such liberties are increasingly under attack by special interest groups and political powerbrokers who are concerned more with their own advancement than with defending the Constitution and ideals that have made us the freest people on earth.

The FSP has brought together several thousand freedom-loving individuals who have sought to find one particular state of the Union where traditional American liberties are still cherished, and to work together with the current citizens of that state to forever keep it a monument to the vision of our country's founders; a shining example of all that is best and noblest in the American spirit."

This little blurb identifies us a patriotic movement dedicated to the American ideal and the rule of law, compliments the citizens of our chosen state and expresses a desire to join with them.  By emphasizing such points, we also refute charges that could possibly be leveled against us without ever directly addressing them:

- not a secession movement
- not a group of people interesting in doing anything illegal
- not interested in "taking over" (we come in peace)  ;D
- not a group of "holier-than-thou's" who are coming to "show you how it's done"

This language also speaks to concerns that would resonate with a people like Wyoming's, those who are naturally averse to being told what to do by the "suits" out east.

Second, we should emphasize that we intend to become part of that state, not to import some foreign culture.

"FSP members hope to learn more about their chosen state as time goes on, to become an intricate part of its communities, to embrace its heritage and culture."

Third, we should emphasize that we come bearing gifts, and not with our hands out:

"The FSP plans to do everything in its power to contribute to Wyoming and its people by starting new businesses, attracting investment, and generally stimulating economic opportunities wherever possible."

Anyway, those are three main areas I believe we should cover, and again, in such a way as to clearly speak to possible concerns without directly addressing them.  Whenever possible, we should define ourselves by our own terms, and not by those of our detractors.  We can and should certainly defend ourselves when attacked, but most of the time I believe we should be advancing ourselves by talking about what we stand for, not what we do not stand for.  

The GOP is terrible with this.  Most of the time, you never hear what Republicans are about except when in reponse to some Democratic assault.  As a result, they are constantly on the defensive and seem to have no forward vision.  We cannot let this happen to us.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

Hmmm....here are some brainstorms for making that even better:   I would suggest putting the stuff about the chosen state higher up in the statement, maybe even in the first sentence.

For example: "In admiration of the existing culture of liberty" in such and such state we have chosen to do such and such.

I'd also display higher up the stuff about boosting the state's economy.  I'd make it more concrete and immediate-action-oriented but without raising expectations.  

In any case, I suspect the weak link in this chain is going to be accomplishing stated goals rather than stating them.

Zxcv

Well, we want to be careful not to come off as blowing a bunch of smoke up their... behinds.   :P

But in general I think this is a great idea. I assume you are talking a press release, at least as a first step...

These steps would benefit from consultation with the state's current residents and liberty-friendly institutions.  In fact, it might be best to defer to them and let them be the ones who fill in the "details" of each step.  
I'd like to advance this notion in our pronouncement, something along these lines:
"The members of this project, being interested in liberty, are particularly interested in getting in contact with any groups working to the same end in the state, with the aim to bolster the membership and influence of such organizations. They are invited to contact us so we can help in any way we can."

Another line we could take (this would take some skill to come off right) that would apply to western states at least (and perhaps others), is something like this:
"The members of the Free State Project understand there are some negative issues associated with immigration of large numbers of people to this and other nearby states, people who do not understand or appreciate the existing culture here. We will make vigorous efforts to avoid this tendency; indeed in our selection process we were looking specifically for a place that already shared many of our ideals. We wish to be good neighbors and valued citizens in our new home. To that end we are always looking for ideas and suggestions for books and other material to learn more about the state."

The next step is monitoring the response. Every place we send this press release off to, should have someone listening or reading so we see how we are received, and perhaps letters written in response to any misconceptions or bad editorials that pop up. We also need to have someone to keep track of the hits against us, as we can use this information later for example when deciding where to move or where we are going to have trouble with the media.

Finally I would suggest that one individual write the press release. Others should have input and perhaps a vote if it is good or not, but we don't want something that appears to have been written by committee. Think of the Declaration of Independence, that seems to be a pretty good model for this sort of thing.

Thanks for looking ahead, Dada!   :)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

Thanks Zx, I like your writing on this!  I don't worry about whether an eventual FSP press release will be impressive; that will be the least of our problems.

The weak link in the chain is still volunteer mobilization, so that we can reliably do the kinds of things you are talking about (monitoring media, etc. )

When it comes to that issue we are adrift on a sea of apathy, second guessing and inaction.  

freedomroad

I'm thinking of submitting this as a possible article/essay on our site.  Any feedback?   Corrections?  Suggestions for improvement?

--------------------------------

- D.O.

Is that what people from Wyoming are called?  Excuse my ignorance.  I have seem one FSP member write it as Wyomingite or something similar.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

<<Is that what people from Wyoming are called?  Excuse my ignorance.  I have seem one FSP member write it as Wyomingite or something similar. >>

Dunno.  Wyomian sounds better, but I guess we'll need to ask the "Wyomians."   I'll resolve this before I try to get this posted as an article.

WyoRancher

• Every dogma has its day...

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that it's July 15 and we've just picked current front runner Wyoming.

Suggestions:

1) Don't pack the U-Haul the day the state is announced. "Trickle in." We don't have a whole lot of people resources, and if 500 people show up at the Real Estate office, you'll throw them into shock. Not to mention what you'll do to our job market and economy. I don't think you want to give the impression of a bunch of "out of staters" taking all the jobs away from the locals.

2) Establish some sort of system to bring people into the state, simultaneous with bringing in business and additional housing projects so you don't overwhelm us. Remember that the "small town" here is 200 people. The average "Interstate" town is about 2500. There aren't many jobs, particularly in the summer when most people are employed in the tourist industry. Get ahold of the Chamber of Commerce ahead of time; bring some business in first, and make some extra jobs.

3) Time of year to arrive: July 15th? Right in the middle of the tourist season (you could arrive as tourists that just fell in love with Wyoming, and HAD to move here!). Also, one of the hottest times of the year. Hotels will be full, but all services will be in full swing. If I were to suggest a date, I'd recommend late August (after "Sturgis"), when people have finished their vacations, and are getting ready to put the kids back in school. Prices here will drop, hotels free up, and the locals will have more time to spend with you to help in relocation.

4) Once September hits, the job market gets difficult, since all the tourist-supported jobs are over, and the College students are back in the state, so there are lots of people out looking. See (2) above; if you had non-tourist business in here ahead of time providing extra jobs, it would be much appreciated. (We're "hands-on" people, not techies). Good way to make a first impression.

Here's what we could do during that first week to make sure Wyoming residents see this as good news.  

1) Announce the initiation of a "buy Wyoming" campaign encouraging Porcupines to immediately and continually support Wyoming's economy.  

My hair actually stood on end when I read that. Then I realized you didn't mean to "BUY Wyoming", but to buy goods and services IN Wyoming. I don't think the people here will take well to 20,000 out-of-staters coming in to "buy Wyoming" out from under them!  :)

Perhaps "support Wyoming" would be better? I will tell you this, we're proud of Wyoming, and if you support "Made in Wyoming", that WILL go over well.

2) Initiate - or support - some kind of effort to help recruit businesses to Wyoming.  

As I mentioned above, do this ahead of time. We have the Chamber of Commerce, and plenty of businesses for sale. You would be much better off purchasing existing Wyoming small businesses and putting the people back to work in their old jobs, rather than bringing more businesses into the area. That way, it is perceived that you are "fitting in" and "helping out" our state, and not trying to replace it with foreign business. Once you are established, then you can expand.

3) Initiate or join some kind of effort to support Wyoming in her current squabbles with the Feds.  

Practice with walking on hot coals, first. We are always squabbling with the feds. And remember that we also have the Native Americans here -- legally, they are an independent nation. So that brings in the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and AIM (the American Indian Movement), the tribal councils, the federal bureaucrats... not a area for the novice.

...might allow us to turn our outsider status, our temporary distance from Wyoming...

You're only an "outsider" if YOU consider yourself one. Once you cross that border with the U-Haul, you ARE one of us. Don't put "distance" where there isn't any. This is YOUR home state, now.

We could spot business recruitment possibilities that might go unnoticed by those inside the state.

Wyoming consists of ranching, farming, mining and oil/gas. All the other businesses support those industries. And remember that we're almost all blue-collar workers. Only "feds" wear ties.

You may spot hundreds of opportunites--not that we haven't noticed, but understand that if it doesn't support the existing infrastructure, they won't get off the ground. We don't have the population for the luxury businesses.

And, unlike current WY residents, we would be in physical proximity to any power-grabbing out-of-state politicos who are messing with the freedoms of her residents.  Lawful protest outside their offices would be possible.

A much easier way is just some rope and a tree. (Just kidding!)

Then you'd better not use words like "diaspora"... folk here will think its "mad cow" disease!  :)

And that's "Citizens" with a capital "C". We know the difference between federal "14th Amendment" slave "citizens", and state "Citizens."

Bruce P.

WyoRancher

"The Free State Project is dedicated to preserving our great American heritage of individual liberty in a day when such liberties are increasingly under attack by special interest groups and political powerbrokers who are concerned more with their own advancement than with defending the Constitution and ideals that have made us the freest people on earth.

The FSP has brought together several thousand freedom-loving individuals who have sought to find one particular state of the Union where traditional American liberties are still cherished, and to work together with the current citizens of that state to forever keep it a monument to the vision of our country's founders; a shining example of all that is best and noblest in the American spirit."

That's good. But tighten it up a bit (run-on sentences).

Who would you work with besides the "current citizens"? I think the past citizens would be hard to rally, and the future citizens aren't here yet. (Hey, I'm an Editor. Hard to break the habit!)  :D

- not a secession movement

Nobody out here knows what that is, anyway.

- not a group of people interesting in doing anything illegal

That's going to be a BIG problem if you go around calling yourself Libertarians (who have a reputation for promoting illegal drugs. Thank the national Media for that.)

- not interested in "taking over" (we come in peace)  ;D

That depends on how many piercings and tatoos you have.

- not a group of "holier-than-thou's" who are coming to "show you how it's done"

That remains to be seen. I've seen some of the "attitude" of other FSP members now, who seem to strongly disagree with that statement.

"FSP members hope to learn more about their chosen state as time goes on, to become an intricate part of its communities, to embrace its heritage and culture."

Not a good idea. You declare yourselfs to be "foreigners" like this. Put it in your head that this is YOUR HOME now, and YOU ARE that Wyoming Cowboy that the world still looks to as a symbol of independence and freedom. YOU ARE a part of its communities, and ARE embracing its heritage and culture. Keep it in the present; the here and now. You don't want to sound like a political election promise.

Hummm, I wonder what your porcupine symbol would look like, with a cowboy hat and spurs?

Third, we should emphasize that we come bearing gifts, and not with our hands out:

"Beware of Porcupines bearing gifts?"

I'm sure that would really go over well with the Native Americans, after that Manhattan deal.

"The FSP plans to do everything in its power to contribute to Wyoming and its people by starting new businesses, attracting investment, and generally stimulating economic opportunities wherever possible."

Spoken like a true politician. That may work over in Jackson, on the "left" border of the state, but not overall. (See prior comments on business).

How about: "The FSP plans to make Wyoming proud to have us as your friends and neighbors, and will always be willing to lend a hand."

We can and should certainly defend ourselves when attacked, but most of the time I believe we should be advancing ourselves by talking about what we stand for, not what we do not stand for.  

Any attacks will come from the existing conservative and liberal parties, who will take exception to you walking on their "turf." If you get in to "mud-slinging", you'll lose (they have too much practice at it!) People here will stand up for the little guy, if the "little guy" shows courage in the face of adversity. (Just something to keep in mind.)

The GOP is terrible with this.  Most of the time, you never hear what Republicans are about except when in reponse to some Democratic assault.  As a result, they are constantly on the defensive and seem to have no forward vision.  We cannot let this happen to us.

I'm still trying to figure out what Libertarians are. Every web site I've visited says something different.

Can you define WHO the FSP is, and what their "Rules of Conduct" are? It's very hard to displace a person standing on firm ground.

Bruce P.

WyoRancher

"The members of this project, being interested in liberty, are particularly interested in getting in contact with any groups working to the same end in the state, with the aim to bolster the membership and influence of such organizations. They are invited to contact us so we can help in any way we can."

And how will that work, when the "groups" are just the half-dozen guys playing checkers at the general store? Yes, Wyoming and Hooterville have a lot in common.  :)

Any of the big groups here are usually "nationally" funded; if you go with them, odds are that you will just be assimilated into their objectives, at the expense of your own.

"The members of the Free State Project understand there are some negative issues associated with immigration of large numbers of people to this and other nearby states, people who do not understand or appreciate the existing culture here. We will make vigorous efforts to avoid this tendency; indeed in our selection process we were looking specifically for a place that already shared many of our ideals. We wish to be good neighbors and valued citizens in our new home. To that end we are always looking for ideas and suggestions for books and other material to learn more about the state."

In the West, actions speak louder than words. This will be taken as "blowing smoke." Pretend you're Pa Kettle and read it... it basically says that "we're ignorant, and apologizing in advance for screwing up your state."

Not to mention that you'll probably get asked, "How did you weed out the mange in your group?"

I understand your intent, and applaud it, but you need to think a bit more "outside the box" if you're coming out West. Go out and rent a half-dozen "John Wayne" films, and watch them closely. Look at the morals exhibited by Wayne, and the way people interact with him. Examine the "bad guys", and what they do that makes them bad. John Wayne is IDOLIZED out here, and provides the archetype that the country folk strive for. Even the ruggedest rancher will have a tear in his eye at the end of "The Cowboys".

Then think about how Wayne would bring in a group of 20,000 people to the state, and how he would present it.

The next step is monitoring the response. Every place we send this press release off to, should have someone listening or reading so we see how we are received, and perhaps letters written in response to any misconceptions or bad editorials that pop up. We also need to have someone to keep track of the hits against us, as we can use this information later for example when deciding where to move or where we are going to have trouble with the media.

Since the major media is still run by the politically-correct factions, you'll probably get trashed, even if you had Mother Teresa and Ghandi leading the way.

The data you'd collect would not be of much use, because of the tendency of media (particularly "talk radio") to sensationalize. You'll run into that almost anywhere, not just Wyoming. Consider that "trickle approach", over the mass-media invasion.

Finally I would suggest that one individual write the press release. Others should have input and perhaps a vote if it is good or not, but we don't want something that appears to have been written by committee. Think of the Declaration of Independence, that seems to be a pretty good model for this sort of thing.

EXCELLENT idea. That's thinking along the right lines for the West. Does Jason get to sign his name bigger than everyone else?

Bruce

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian

For anyone who considers Wyoming the best candidate for the FSP, please read the following comments from a Wyoming resident, and consider how it could support an immigration of 20,000 Porcupines, many of whom work in high tech and managerial positions:

I don't think you want to give the impression of a bunch of "out of staters" taking all the jobs away from the locals....

Remember that the "small town" here is 200 people. The average "Interstate" town is about 2500. There aren't many jobs, particularly in the summer when most people are employed in the tourist industry....

Once September hits, the job market gets difficult, since all the tourist-supported jobs are over, and the College students are back in the state, so there are lots of people out looking....

(We're "hands-on" people, not techies)....

Wyoming consists of ranching, farming, mining and oil/gas. All the other businesses support those industries. And remember that we're almost all blue-collar workers. Only "feds" wear ties....

You may spot hundreds of opportunites--not that we haven't noticed, but understand that if it doesn't support the existing infrastructure, they won't get off the ground. We don't have the population for the luxury businesses....

Implying that anyone who's not ready to sacrifice their career for the sake of the Free State is not dedicated enough does not seem to be a good way to recruit 20,000 members quickly.  Selecting a state that cannot easily absorb a migration of 20,000 Porcupines does not seem like a good way to establish momentum for the FSP.
Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

WyoRancher:

Thanks for taking a look at our writing; I will likely submit a revamped version of mine sometime over the next few weeks.

BTW Zx I like that Declaration of Independence idea you had and I see Wyo does also.  I'm going to post a copy of the original in my next post, maybe we can start working on something modeled after it.

and...craft wrote:

<< Selecting a state that cannot easily absorb a migration of 20,000 Porcupines does not seem like a good way to establish momentum for the FSP. >>

It might, however, be a good way to weed out the mange, as WyoRancher suggests.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

As promised:

The Declaration of Independence of the Thirteen Colonies
In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us, in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty and perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by the Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

OK Zx, Wyo:

Reading through the Declaration you can see the obvious parallels.  Here's my initial go at writing them in.  Thoughts?  Could something like this (once improved) make for a real press release?

When, in the course of human events, it becomes impossible for a people to reverse, or even halt, a continual hemorrhage of their liberties, and when such hemorrhage compels them to flee its sources, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel their departure.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that a people well established in their current estates and livelihoods will not change these for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by fleeing the homes to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, evinces a design to reduce them under

(And that's as far as I've gotten)    

« Last Edit: April 13, 2003, 01:24:17 am by Dada Orwell »

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian

and...craft wrote:

<< Selecting a state that cannot easily absorb a migration of 20,000 Porcupines does not seem like a good way to establish momentum for the FSP. >>

It might, however, be a good way to weed out the mange, as WyoRancher suggests.

If the FSP is to be successful in establishing a Free State, it will need all the help it can get.  "Weeding out" anyone simply because they are not as dedicated as we might prefer will only serve to delay the process.  Referring to potential allies as "the mange" is also of dubious value in recruiting.  ;)

Ideally, the selected Free State could accomodate a migration of 20,000 in a few years, then welcome a second wave of 100,000+ seeking liberty and economic opportunity.  Perhaps Wyoming could handle this, perhaps not.  Perhaps New Hampshire and Idaho are already too populous for the Free State to succeed, perhaps not.  

Perhaps the best state for the FSP is not the least populous, or the one that is the most free already, but the one that would attract the most liberty-seeking immigrants in the shortest time, and welcome the economic growth they would bring.  
Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything