Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Packets?  (Read 6084 times)

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
New Member Packets?
« on: November 05, 2003, 01:21:21 pm »

Other than my membership confirmation e-mail I've only received one official FSP e-mail.  :(

First, make sure you're signed up for the announcement list:
http://lists.freestateproject.org/mailman/listinfo/announce

Also, I recently suggested to Kelton that he put himself on a schedule to send 2 annouce emails per month -- 1 timed with the monthly Quill announcement, and the other in between.  Jason's wife's illness has caused a little lapse, but I think that'll be taken care of soon.

Now, I am really in favor of sending snailmail paper packets to new members with a sticker, a welcome letter, and some brochures to hand out to other people.  So far, the BOD has determined this to be too labor intensive.  But I think it would a) weed out false signups if packets got returned, b) be a great way to confirm membership and create enthusiasm.  I think we could have a printer make up and stuff generic envelopes, and just slap labels on them once a week... we just need someone to agree to do it, I guess...

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
New Member Packets?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 11:55:22 am »

I really like Elizabeth's idea of sending out a pamphlet to new members.... Maybe we can incorporate that with the NH info packets we are working on... :)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

FreeBoB

New Member Packets?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 08:14:35 pm »

VERY IMPORTANT - Send a pamphlet, welcome letter and bumper sticker (new design). An immediate greeter call and active local groups are needed too. I still haven't verbally spoken to, or seen another FSPer - all email or here. I suppose that's true for most of you unless you live near a big city.
I bought a FSP T shirt and coffee mug and both have sparked conversations!  I display them proudly.  I am happy to further support the FSP with money...especially when I'm seeing weekly progress in membership and NH activism.  Looking forward to starting a local group and being a greeter!  All of this will really help us all.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
New Member Packets?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 09:56:33 am »

VERY IMPORTANT - Send a pamphlet, welcome letter and bumper sticker (new design). An immediate greeter call and active local groups are needed too. I still haven't verbally spoken to, or seen another FSPer - all email or here. I suppose that's true for most of you unless you live near a big city.
I bought a FSP T shirt and coffee mug and both have sparked conversations!  I display them proudly.  I am happy to further support the FSP with money...especially when I'm seeing weekly progress in membership and NH activism.  Looking forward to starting a local group and being a greeter!  All of this will really help us all.

Brian, I posted a message in the members forum where I suggested an idea that could help us NYers take on the responsiblity of activating the 233 or so NY porcupines such as mailing out welcome packages.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
New Member Packets?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 12:15:05 pm »

So, what should we include?  Remember, postage is an issue.  I imagine a situation in which a printer would print, assemble, and seal several thousand of these new member packages.  Then a volunteer could weekly slap on labels for new members and postage and send 'em out.  The label would have the member number on it, in case they cared.

1 double-sided letter, b/w (welcome, info, actions to take)
1 NH info sheet, double-sided, b/w
5 FSP tri-fold color brochures (to hand out to people)
1 bumper sticker (we would provide these for inclusion)

Thoughts?

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
New Member Packets?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 12:46:37 pm »

Elizabeth -

That sounds good.  No need to put too much into each packet.

For member outreach, we could tap our groups around the country to organize events in their areas.  Instead of going to the people, bring the people to them.  In NH we're planning a benefit concert, and similar events could occur across the country.  I'm sure that some libertarian bands would love the exposure, and we would bring people together and put them in a position to "feed" them the message.

Dawn

• FSP Participant
Re:New Member Packets?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 08:16:52 pm »

So, what should we include?  Remember, postage is an issue.  I imagine a situation in which a printer would print, assemble, and seal several thousand of these new member packages.  Then a volunteer could weekly slap on labels for new members and postage and send 'em out.  The label would have the member number on it, in case they cared.

I agree that there should definitely be some snail mail communication with new members.

I wonder if this task would be well done in a decentralized type of way - IF a local group wanted to take responsibility for mailing these items out to new members in their area and they could even include a personal note along with info on when the local group will be meeting. Perhaps the local group would even be willing to help out with the postage costs? I think personal contact, when possible, makes a big difference.

I'm not sure about automatically sending everyone a bumper sticker. Many people won't put them on their cars. Is there something else that might work, that is still easy to mail?

On a related topic, I've been wondering what the FSP does when a new member joins. For example, are they given advice on how to help support the FSP in reaching 20,000 and/or information about what they can do from wherever they are to help advance liberty in NH?  

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 01:06:17 am »

:D I love the idea of personal contact ( I have hosted a small group of MN-FSPers at my home before the vote and it sure made it all seem more *real* to me).  I am the greeter and contact person for MN/Western WI.

I could certainly receive a shipment of FSP supplies to mail out to new members as they come on board.  If you are lacking in people I could handle other nearby states too ( hopefully these are postage paid packets as my one-income family of six isn't made of money -  ;D).  

Also, to help with this and other endeavors, it would be a good idea for the contact people in each state have a local member list with whatever address/contact information current and new members are willing to share to keep in touch, attend meetings, etc.   There are supposedly 92 MN members, but I only see a handful on the MN thread or anywhere else on the forums.   :-\

Definitely decentralize the taks at hand to willing volunteers! Many of us are out there, some of us are active in our missions, others need direction.  We are all busy, we all have jobs, lives, duties..but we all need to do as much as possible if we want FSP  and a freer NH to succeed!

Thank you!
Sunshine
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 02:36:05 pm »

Seems like we ought to give the printing business to someone in NH, or an FSP member.  Anyone want to bid (or gather bids) for 5000 printed/assembled envelopes containing the following:

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 02:43:10 pm »

Trevor Snyder (or Amanda Phillips?) just ordered a s***-load of bumper stickers.

Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 02:51:05 pm »

Are they a new design?  Just curious.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 02:53:17 pm »

Doug, also, can you bring this discussion to the attention of the O list?  I don't want to work on this if they're going to kill it off.

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 02:58:03 pm »

I don’t know if it’s a new design.

Yes I will bring this to the attention of the O list.
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

freedomroad

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 04:08:23 am »

Guys, this is a really good idea.  We need to make the members feel welcome and encourage them to stay around for a few years untill the FSP reaches 20,000.

Elizabeth

• Free State Project
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 04:46:34 pm »

Guys, this is a really good idea.  We need to make the members feel welcome and encourage them to stay around for a few years untill the FSP reaches 20,000.

Wanna help get quotes?  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up