Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Lodging for NH Visits  (Read 4649 times)

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
Cheap Lodging for NH Visits
« on: December 17, 2003, 10:09:38 am »

I *think* this lodging question fits best in the Housing forum, but I will be happy to move, if directed to a better place.  

I anticipate making several trips to NH for research, before settling down, and my resources are limited enough, that on top of airfair from Texas, even modestly priced hotels are going to make it tough financially.  

What sort of extreme budget lodging arrangements can local Porcs recommend?  Communal arrangements like the mountain hostels are OK, but in NH, they ARE ALL in the mountains, and I really need to focus on the southern half of the state.

The 3 Motel 6's in the state or on the border will come in handy, but everything else advertised on the Web and in the travel guides seems to be $80 and up a night.

Roycerson

• FSP Participant
Re:Cheap Lodging for NH Visits
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 11:09:20 am »

I stayed at the Manchester Econolodge for 60 dollars and they picked me up at the airport when I first got here.

The local hotel in Claremont was 54 dollars and they had a 5 cents a minute surcharge on all phone calls (to the detriment of my forum participation).  I think most of their "guests" are the week to week sort.  You should be able to find a place like that in most towns.

My reservation confirmation for the return leg is quoted at 52.50 + tax.  They will drop me off at the airport.  It is only 5 days till Christmas.  I was afraid it would be higher.

However upon arriving I found that my reservations had been cancelled so I got a "deluxe" single with fridge, coffee pot and microwave and a large bathroom for 60 dollars.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 01:49:00 am by Roycerson »
He who is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom....Anton LaVey

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 08:32:59 pm »

The lowest cost extended-stay / suite type place of a chain variety is the Extended Stay America in Nashua.  My wife and I stayed there 12 days while we poked around New Hampshire.  It's not full service and the rooms aren't as 'roomy' as we would have liked but the rates were a couple hundred bucks a week less than the next best thing.  They *do* have some king rooms contrary to what the website says.  Call them on the phone to find out more about that.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 12:00:22 am »

up in Gorham, we stayed at "Hiker's Paradise" which was really cheap (around $40/night, taxes & breakfast included).  It wasn't the nicest (or even cleanest) place, but it was cheap, the people were nice, and they spoke Polish (my wife is from Poland).  We saw the "mowimy po polsku" (we speak Polish) sign and were stunned, actually.

Bring cleaning supplies with you, if that sort of thing bothers you.  Like I said, it isn't the nicest, but my wife works in a 4-star hotel in Atlantic City.  After working there for 6 months, we won't stay in ANY hotel without bringing our own bed linens and cleaning supplies.  No kidding.

For info:
http://www.hikersparadise.com/

Ask for Bruno, he's the owner and a really nice guy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 12:02:25 am by thegotoguy »

bookish_lass

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 04:58:04 pm »

I stayed in the Day's Inn at Kittery, ME.  The rates were much cheaper when you order straight from their website.  http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/home
I got it for $49/night + tax and the room was fine, nothing fancy, nothing wrong with it either.

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 10:34:58 pm »

There is a free coupon book available for travelers to the northeast. It offers coupons for motel rooms throughout the northeast, including NH. Some rates are as low as $33 per night even in southern NH (based on availability, of course).

Click here to order a copy:

http://www.travelerdiscountguide.com/
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

Bruce_Morgan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
    • DevTech Services
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:45:44 pm »

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on Hall St. in Concord for 2 days.  I don't know what the rate is because I stayed on my "reward" points so the two nights were free.  They have an indoor pool that is open from 5am until midnight (!!!!) and they are right off of Main St.  We stayed there last February, also, and got the same excellent service.  I think the rooms were about $60 per night.

While in Concord, I highly recommend a visit to Makris Lobster & Steak House out on 106, just east of town.  Great food (try the seaman's platter and the bowl of clam chowder,) and they sell a t-shirt for the bikers that has written across the back, "If you can read this, the b**ch fell off!"

VERY high on my list of places I would recommend is the Maple Leaf Motel in Littleton.  We stayed there for 6 days in their only 2 room unit.  It had a kitchenette, 2 separate rooms (1 room had 2 twin beds, the other had a full.)  The cost was $47 for the first night, and a 10% discount for the remainder of the stay.  Rick and Nancy Owen are the owners and are good folks.

Two restaurant recommendations for Littleton:  First is the Littleton Diner on Main St for typical, wonderful small-town carbohydrate-laden food, although the Build Your Own Breakfast can be had all day, with 1, 2, or 3 eggs, excellent sausage patties, bacon, Canadian bacon, etc.  Second is the Clam Shell, owned by Ed and Nancy Davis.  They also have a house for sale in Littleton.

Bruce

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:21:28 pm »

There is a free coupon book <SNIP> Click here to order a copy:

http://www.travelerdiscountguide.com/
Thanks.  Here is another site, linked to the one above, where you can get coupons right off the internet.

http://www.roomsaver.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up