Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Production Company / News Magazine  (Read 23023 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Video Production Company / News Magazine
« on: October 30, 2002, 08:00:29 pm »

I've updated this post 10/5/03 to make it more NH specific.

---

Obviously, most of us complain a lot about Nanny State bias in the press, although this is much more of a problem outside of NH than inside.

But what if we could *become* part of the press and in the process generate a couple media jobs within the selected state?  Here is how we could perhaps do it:

1) Form a small video production company in the FS.

2) Produce a half hour weekly "news magazine" highlighting New Hampshire-area news and stories...A sort of low-budget "60 Minutes," only we'd be candid about our bias. Perhaps we could call it "Free State Review" or something like that.

3) Leave 5-10 min. of space for advertising and sell ads for those spaces.  

4) Run the program on local TV stations in NH and "broadcast" it on the Internet.  Perhaps elsewhere too.

I don't know a lot about TV advertising, so if you do please correct any errors you see in this brainstorm.

I don't have a second's worth of doubt that we could produce fascinating programs that would get our message across in a way other methods never could.  The only question is whether the financial numbers would add up.  

As for the staff, I could handle some of the assignments editing, videography, writing and/or video editing for such an operation.  I'm good at those things, not so good at playing "businessman"  Presumably the project would need an accountant, on-cam talent, another technical person and an ad seller.  Multiple roles could conceivably be played by the same person, of course.  

"Anchor" talent might be recruited from the ranks of news reporters/anchors who already work in the state (they're probably underpaid).  Reporters could be gotten the same way or by recruiting college students and recent grads who've majored in broadcast.  Television stations usually have nonpaying internship programs that offer students experience in exchange for labor.  By doing the same thing we could get free labor while local students get great experience.

DO
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 12:49:52 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
Re:Video Production Company / News Magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 06:55:04 am »

No promises but my husband owns a video production company (started from scratch - so he knows his stuff), Im certain that once we get settled in the free state he would be more than happy to help. I warn you though he is a self sufficient man (read capitalist who values his time and expects others to do the same - GOD I LOVE HIM!) so something as time consuming as this would require a nominal form of compensation)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 07:00:50 am by percy, aka tntsmum »

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 07:02:00 am »

PS - If  NH is chosen, we'll be there YESTERDAY! so we can start this right away.

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 07:05:32 am »

Additionally - I work at a newspaper and work directly with the layout/design process and I know a little something of what is involved with the printing process & getting a publication to press (also had a stint as their circulation manager so I could help out a little there too)

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 07:08:27 am »

Hmmm, perhaps a barter situation would work re: compensation should this all pan out... advertising time in exchange for assistance with the project. I think my husband could go for that.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 07:11:33 am »

Here is an entrepreneurial idea that might begin to accomplish that.  Let me know if any of you are interested in taking it further.

This is an extremely good idea, D.O.  I actually started a similar thread under the strategy section in regard to starting up newspapers and possibly even radio programs, as well as producing commercials to attack issues during election cycles or important legislative sessions.  I think that this idea could work very well and would be well worth pursuing.

As for starting something now, your idea sparked another one:  what about using this fledgling operation to produce an FSP promotional video?  We could use such a video to interview leadership and members, show stats, photos of states under consideration, etc., and use this to provide a more personal touch than perspective members could get from reading a website.  It could show that we really are a living, breathing group of "normal" people.   ;D  It would also be an excellent practice run for producing our own weekly show, as you suggested, and could get FSP Broadcasting (or whatever it would be called) off the ground and running.

A very good idea.  I am told that I have a good voice and could probably help with narration or something along those lines.  I've done that sort of thing before, but not professionally.  I could also help with writing for the show or promotionals.  I haven't done that in the broadcasting field itself, but I do have experience writing in other professions.

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 09:09:26 am »

I should add that my husband has experience with these weekly shows, having produced them before, the first time essentially single handedly. Therafter he trained others in camera work, lighting etc to help him.
This could actually work!

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 10:02:34 am »

I'm a military trained print and broadcast journalist, and I'm interested in this idea.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread. I do have a hefty income currently in the IT field, and my wife is unwilling to step down in lifestyle, but I'm sure things will work out in that arena.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 08:51:13 pm »

No promises but my husband owns a video production company (started from scratch - so he knows his stuff)

Hmm, well, if he or any capable video production company owner were to move his company to the FS then perhaps such a project could gell around that company.  Sounds like your husband is already experienced as an owner/GM/number cruncher.   Maybe he will have some insight that I lack when it comes to whether the proposal for a weekly newsmagazine could work.  

It is not a traditional proposal...the normal thing for volunteer orgs or political movements to do is 30 second ads or maybe infomercials.   I dont know of anyone who has ever done PR by having their own weekly TV newsmag.  But the idea fascinates me because news is more interesting to people than preproduced advertising.  And it sure would rock if we *were* the media wouldn't it??  

Probably the thing that has held people back from doing this is the fact that you can fit 30 second ads into existing programing so easily.   But with Netcasting, maybe the options for doing your own show are more viable.  

Whatever else we do, I hope we do not ever do the kind of cookie cutter bore-me-to-a-slow-painful-death political advertising that has been loosed upon the innocent this month.    

Dada

« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 08:57:57 pm by Dada Orwell »

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 09:10:00 pm »

Although I had been envisioning this as a for-profit endeavor, the responses to this thread indicate its potential to attract not just employees but also volunteers from within the FSP.   I suppose that dimension could increase its economic viability.  Certainly if we were proceeding down a low-budget news magazine path with one or two man crews doing field reporting, thats the kind of thing where u can always use even the most unskilled volunteer help.  That's how it works best in TV news...unpaid interns sign on for the fun and the experience, then tag along with the undermanned field crews to provide a much needed extra set of hands.    

Dada

cathleeninsc

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 09:59:47 pm »

Jason has mentioned that print ads are upcoming to reach other than online people. With all you experienced journalists, I hope we have some professional looking information packets to mail out on request. A video sounds even better, but expensive.

I guess those print ads have an address or phone number to contact the FSP. You can't just point them to the website if they aren't online. Is an 800# an option?

Cathleen in SC

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 11:39:06 am »

Jason has mentioned that print ads are upcoming to reach other than online people. With all you experienced journalists, I hope we have some professional looking information packets to mail out on request. A video sounds even better, but expensive.

I guess those print ads have an address or phone number to contact the FSP. You can't just point them to the website if they aren't online. Is an 800# an option?

Cathleen in SC

One very cheap and fairly effective way to distribute video is via CD-ROM and DVD ROM. These technologies are widespread and it's much cheaper for a small studio to produce high quality video using either one that it would be to produce actual tape.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2002, 12:03:55 am »

A pre-move promotional video could be done but would be a formidable undertaking.   You'd have to have to hire crews across the country or have one crew traveling to several different places around the country.  The cost would likely near 25 grand even if half the labor and equipment was free.    Distribution costs would be additional to that.  That's not to say it wouldn't be worthwhile...it might.  And I might be underestimating the potential for volunteerism and donated equipment use.

I don't personally see us suffering that much from not having a video, but if it becomes practical hey why not?

Of course, the real holy grail in terms of video would be someone paying *us* to air our story, so....

Easing back into the weekly TV news magazine idea:  The more I think about it the more I see it having economic viability.  The reason:  Syndication. There is plenty of precedent for syndicated news/feature programs that make decent money.  If you produce stories that are interesting enough, you don't pay to put them on the air, the TV stations pay *you* for the right to air them.  Bob Phillips' "Texas Country Reporter" is one example of a chronically profitable regional program, Inside Edition is a national one.  We could in fact have the limited-travel-expense advantages of a regional program and the national audience advantages of a national program.  Millions around the country will be interested in what's happening to the FSP, yet most of the stories could be shot in one state.  

We could form an independent production company that wasn't beholden to the FSP but was naturally sympathetic to its goals and focused on the fascinating things the FSP will do.  That would maximize the chances for syndication if we weren't an official mouthpiece.

Someone tell me what I'm missing here, if anything...

Dada

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2002, 06:25:05 am »

Ok, at the risk of making you guys nauseated, yeah.... my husband routinely puts video onto CDs, and last I checked, was getting started with the DVD stuff. I'll talk to him. One thought, kind of out of the blue, is that enterprising folks from different aspects or areas of the project could simply send him there video/audio clips either on standard format or digitally and he could incorporate it into a whole?......

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2002, 06:27:37 am »

I don't know for dure wher he stands on this but, I do believe he has the equipment/materials for those nifty little business card size/shaped cds. Those would be great and convenient! Talk about inexpensive to mail!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up