Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for long-distance job hunting  (Read 6701 times)

Friday

Advice for long-distance job hunting
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:20:36 pm »

Does anyone have some tips and/or websites to recommend as far as looking for a job in a place you don't currently live?  For example, is it better to put a local address on your resume? A local phone number? Is it better to not mention the fact that you currently live in another state (assuming you're willing to fly out on short notice if offered an interview)? Is it better to make it clear that you don't expect your relocation expenses to be covered, or is it better to leave that unsaid?  Thanks for any advice.   :)

Friday

Re: Advice for long-distance job hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 06:35:28 pm »

Itchy trigger finger...   8)  I just found a long article on this subject:
http://www.quintcareers.com/long-distance_job-search.html

Posterity

• FSP Participant
Re: Advice for long-distance job hunting
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 09:00:34 pm »

I've done cross-country job searches several times over the years and I never hid the fact that I lived in another state.  Potential employers usually asked about it and I just said I was planning/wanting to move "for personal reasons" or a change of lifestyle or whatever.

As far as relocation expenses, I wouldn't mention it up front.  Let that be part of the negotiation process if it comes to that.  The exception would be if it stated in the job posting (like on monster.com or whatever) that relocation expenses would not be covered.  In that case, I'd acknowledge the fact that I knew about the policy ahead of time and that I'd be covering the costs of my own move.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything