Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What are the biggest obstacles to you becoming an FSP participant?

Family Considerations
- 3 (14.3%)
Employment/Job
- 7 (33.3%)
Don't believe FSP will work
- 1 (4.8%)
Don't like New Hampshire
- 1 (4.8%)
FSP Members
- 2 (9.5%)
Don't want *complete* liberty
- 2 (9.5%)
Other
- 5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obstacles to Becoming a Participant?  (Read 3804 times)

jeanius

Obstacles to Becoming a Participant?
« on: August 23, 2004, 10:44:58 am »

We are reviewing and evaluating our recruiting strategy to refine it for the future.  Please email me (jalexander@freestateproject.org) and/or post here with any specific information.  This will help us hone our message to get the best information out there and narrow our recruiting efforts most efficiently.  Please post specifics about your
obstacles such as if you picked "I don't like NH", post specifics such as "It's too cold."  The poll allows only one response.  If you have more than one reason please email me or post with the additional reasons.  

Thanks!

Jean

Amanda

• former FSP President
Re:Obstacles to Becoming a Participant?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 05:13:40 pm »

I answered with my #1 obstacle before I signed on.

Have you considered making this a checkbox vs a radio button poll? I probably had a few of those obstacles and it was hard to choose just one!
"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations." -- David D Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom

jeanius

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:48:41 am »

I wish checkbox was an option, but it isn't currently.  BTW I posted this on members only as well, trying to get at what *were* obstacles and how they were resolved.  For those of you considering FSP but who have more than one obstacle or an obstacle we didn't explicitly include please post that info here or email me at jalexander@freestateproject.org if you'd prefer.  

Thanks!  

Jean

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 06:15:00 pm »

For me, the obstacle to becoming a member is employment/job related.  I suspect that others have a problem similar to mine.  I own 50% of a small business that cannot be moved (it is dependent upon personal relationships with clients that have been built up over 20 years).  I have an exit plan, but cannot comply with this part of the Project Participation Guidelines:

...participants in the FSP shall move to the state decided upon as expeditiously as possible and absolutely within five years of the crossing of the 20,000-signer threshold.

I can probably BEGIN the process of selling the business by 2011.  However, I cannot GUARANTEE that it will be sold in time to comply with the "5-year rule".  And, it is not practical for me to move BEFORE the business is sold because its value would rapidly decline in my absence.

So, I WOULD sign up if the Guidelines stated that participants shall "BEGIN to move within 5 years of crossing the 20,000-signer threshold."  Unfortunately, changing the wording could present a problem for the FSP if it resulted in members "dragging their feet" on the move.

Thoughts?
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 09:48:44 pm »

I picked other. Being a college student, I have only a vague idea of what I want to do when I get out of college. While I find the whole Free State Project very intriguing, I am also very reluctant to sign up and give my word that I will move to New Hampshire by a certain time when I'm not at all sure I'll be able to.
However, I'm in the process of making plans to go to the University of New Hampshire in fall 2005 to check things out via the national student exchange. If I like it enough, maybe I'll sign up. I just want to be absolutely sure first and have my life in working order.
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 10:09:59 pm »

I picked other. Being a college student, I have only a vague idea of what I want to do when I get out of college. While I find the whole Free State Project very intriguing, I am also very reluctant to sign up and give my word that I will move to New Hampshire by a certain time when I'm not at all sure I'll be able to.
However, I'm in the process of making plans to go to the University of New Hampshire in fall 2005 to check things out via the national student exchange. If I like it enough, maybe I'll sign up. I just want to be absolutely sure first and have my life in working order.

Nice to hear, Geist :)

Well, you'll have a perfect opportunity to check out New Hampshire then while you're there.  If you want you can sign up as a friend instead of a member for now.

Anyway, welcome to the FSP forum.  Glad you found us.
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 10:09:55 pm »

Thanks for the welcome :)
Where exactly does one go to sign up as a friend? I've glanced around but I haven't seen a specific place that says "Sign up as a friend!" with big flashy arrows.

Well, okay, I don't really expect big flashy arrows  8) but they'd probably help.

Edit: Nevermind, I poked around a bit and I found it. Hah, I'll figure out this website yet! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:16:05 pm by Geist »
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything