Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fleeing Illinois  (Read 5631 times)

Aaron - Free Will

• Free Will
fleeing Illinois
« on: August 06, 2004, 01:32:52 pm »

Hey there guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Just sort of saying hi, I suppose. I've been thinking about this for a while, and after a visit to Tioga County, NY last weekend, I'm definitely interested in the region. I've been eyeballing Newmarket, but not really sure. (Just so long as it's not in the far north of the state, brrrr.) I'll try to hang out here more often to get myself better educated about the whole project, but it seems like you're a great bunch of people and I'd have some friends ready-to-go. In any case, Southern Illinois is great, but it's also a dead-end trip if you don't like living under the iron-fist of the Chicago Democrats. Obama wins, and I'm almost certainly packing the bags.

Posterity

• FSP Participant
Re:fleeing Illinois
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 03:38:45 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Aaron.  I lurked around too before I decided to join the project.  I'm sure the committment of many of the folks here will convince you to join also, as it did for me.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 03:59:51 pm »

Howdy Aaron!

Learned that from one of my southern friends. :D

Newmarket is a great little town, and it's in the Seacost Region.  Expect if you have any question please give a haller.  Not that I can answer them, but know a few folks who most certainly can! ;D

Dave
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 04:40:27 pm »

Howdy Aaron!

Learned that from one of my southern friends.

Hiya Dude!  (Learned that one from my SoCal buddies ;D .. I couldn't resist copying Dave)

Lurk all you want or post too.  I agree we've got a lot of awesome people and it's tough to resist the energy and ideas.

Yes, it'll be colder in N.H. but from people I've talked to it's not too bad.  Winter is only one of the seasons and you've got a lot of beautiful areas too so think springtime by a lake or camping/fishing/hiking in summer.  In California we've got 3 seasons - hot, warm and a little rain (and it's hot now).  The southern part of N.H. is a bit more metropolitan, so there's quite a variety.  I'd lvoe having a place where the kids can actually run around a bit ... sorry for rambling ;D

Well, throw in whatever ideas you have.  We're working on making a place where everyone fits in comfortably.

In any case, Southern Illinois is great, but it's also a dead-end trip if you don't like living under the iron-fist of the Chicago Democrats. Obama wins, and I'm almost certainly packing the bags.

Sounds like a way to turn a lose into a victory.   Maybe we'll see you in N.H. :)
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 05:09:58 pm »

Hey Steve...thanks! ;D  Look forward to you joining us!

One thing will say about the weather.  Ok you live were it is hot!  What do you do?  Go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car, then hot again until you get to air conditioned office or whatever!

So here, in the winter, you go from warm house, cold outside, then warm car, to the to warm building!  Same deal just in reverse!  From time to time things shut down because of the snow, is that really a bad thing?

If you have never seen a new fallen snow, or trompted through it, hey you are the first foot prints! ;)  Your are missing something special!  Perhaps make a butterfly or two in the snow, just cause you can!

If you have never felt the beauty of the first warm breezy spring day, the sun is out, the flowers are blooming, and yes the pretty ladies are out! ;)  Again you are missing something special!

Ok enough lala...just hope a little cold weather doesn't stop anyone.  Down jackets are cheap up here! ;D
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 05:29:34 pm »

I hate snow, I hate the cold. But for a shot at a Free State call me MR. Snowman. I heard an interview with the Mayor of International Falls Minnesota once, He said there is no such thing as to cold just bad clothing choices . Guess I will find out. ;)
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Aaron - Free Will

• Free Will
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 06:10:24 pm »

Yes, indeed, if I don't escape on Obama's account, I'll stick around to help vote Blago out. There's pretty much no winning here, and I've got to say that as much as I love Shawnee National Forest, upstate NY and surrounds seem to be that way *everywhere*. I have a small business (shipping and freight) that I'm looking to expand, and have heard that Newcastle is pretty open for business, but so is the whole state. Anybody have any other towns that they might recommend I consider? I definitely prefer the 'small-medium town' (5,000-20,000) environment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 08:38:24 pm by Aaron - Free Will »

SteveA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 07:43:18 pm »

One thing will say about the weather.  Ok you live were it is hot!  What do you do?  Go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car, then hot again until you get to air conditioned office or whatever!

That's exactly it except I don't even have air conditioning at home, so it's more like - sweat at home, burn your hands on the steering wheel leaving for work, roll the window down (I leave late and don't use the A/C ... I'm a 'conservative', you know saving gas and all ;)), walk into work with a soaking shirt and then repeat it to an extent going home.

If it ever gets 'cold' here it's for a few weeks in January but that's it.

So here, in the winter, you go from warm house, cold outside, then warm car, to the to warm building!  Same deal just in reverse!  From time to time things shut down because of the snow, is that really a bad thing?

If you have never seen a new fallen snow, or trompted through it, hey you are the first foot prints!   Your are missing something special!  Perhaps make a butterfly or two in the snow, just cause you can!

I stayed with some relatives in the mountains here for a year (Mammoth Lakes, ski resort area) and loved it, but I was younger.  Shoveling a little snow won't hurt my waistline though ;)

If you have never felt the beauty of the first warm breezy spring day, the sun is out, the flowers are blooming, and yes the pretty ladies are out!   Again you are missing something special!

Hey, I'm married.  Stop that! ;D

I hate snow, I hate the cold. But for a shot at a Free State call me MR. Snowman. I heard an interview with the Mayor of International Falls Minnesota once, He said there is no such thing as to cold just bad clothing choices . Guess I will find out.  

I've got a picture from a christmas visit to Denver, CO when I was younger, dressed like I was still in L.A. - bare feet in the snow with jeans and no shirt.  I assume that's how they can pick out tourists?

I think the cold is easier to get out of than the heat, just wear something more than jeans.

The main comment I hear from people who've come from MA or Michigan is that the people are friendly and there's work available but it's quiet and there aren't a lot of things to do.  The quiet is likely a positive IMO.  It's too dang crowded in the city and the neighbors live a few feet too close.  When it comes to stuff to do, even though there's potentially a ton to do here I don't really take advantage of much of it.  A good book, movie, software or web site and a can of chili and I'm a happy man!  They've got all that there I'm sure and the universities ... call me warped, but I might have to check out some of the university libraries if they're available for public browsing and I'm sure a few of you would have a few activities to keep me busy if that was an issue.  (We need someone to arrange an interview for such an such.  200 posters to reelect so and so need distributing.  Got time for a "Meet and greet?: etc. :D)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 07:43:52 pm by SteveA »
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 09:47:41 pm »

Yes, indeed, if I don't escape on Obama's account, I'll stick around to help vote Governor Corruptevich out. There's pretty much no winning here, and I've got to say that as much as I love Shawnee National Forest, upstate NY and surrounds seem to be that way *everywhere*. I have a small business (shipping and freight) that I'm looking to expand, and have heard that Newcastle is pretty open for business, but so is the whole state. Anybody have any other towns that they might recommend I consider? I definitely prefer the 'small-medium town' (5,000-20,000) environment.

I think you must mean Newington, not Newcastle. Newington is very business friendly, Newcastle is tiny and very restrictive.
 In regards other towns, are you looking to be close to a major highway? If so, I suggest anywhere close to Rt. 95, Rt. 93, or Rt. 101

Aaron - Free Will

• Free Will
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 10:20:50 pm »

Actually, I meant Newmarket. I don't know why I wrote Newcastle. *slaps forehead* Highway is good, airport access isn't bad either, of course. Don't know which areas are better in that respect, but there's always heading down to Boston, too.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 12:58:04 am »

If you have never felt the beauty of the first warm breezy spring day, the sun is out, the flowers are blooming, and yes the pretty ladies are out!   Again you are missing something special!

Hey, I'm married.  Stop that! ;D

Now, now.  There's nothing wrong with LOOKING at the eye candy.  The test of your relationship is whether or not you do more than just look.

Eye candy is one thing I'll be missing about Florida.  How many weeks do you see short-shorts in NH?

Regards,
Ian
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

SteveA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 02:42:32 am »

Now, now.  There's nothing wrong with LOOKING at the eye candy.  The test of your relationship is whether or not you do more than just look.

Yes, I window shop without buying anything ;)

Eye candy is one thing I'll be missing about Florida.  How many weeks do you see short-shorts in NH?

In N.H. the question becomes how often does one of them ask you keep her warm.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:42:57 am by SteveA »

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 10:53:20 pm »

Hey there guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Just sort of saying hi, I suppose. I've been thinking about this for a while, and after a visit to Tioga County, NY last weekend, I'm definitely interested in the region. I've been eyeballing Newmarket, but not really sure. (Just so long as it's not in the far north of the state, brrrr.) I'll try to hang out here more often to get myself better educated about the whole project, but it seems like you're a great bunch of people and I'd have some friends ready-to-go. In any case, Southern Illinois is great, but it's also a dead-end trip if you don't like living under the iron-fist of the Chicago Democrats. Obama wins, and I'm almost certainly packing the bags.

Welcome! It's always great to see a new person come along here. As you're furthering your education about the FSP, feel free to post any questions you may have. You'll recieve more opinions than you know what to do with!  ;)

When can you plan a little getaway to NH? There are plenty of people who would love to show you around their areas and maybe even have a little "meet and greet" so you can get to meet and talk with other FSPers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up