Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling options  (Read 14383 times)

sotetf

• "Nem" - said the Magyar
Homeschooling options
« on: November 08, 2002, 06:50:27 pm »

I am not signed up yet, but plan to homeschool my daughter; shes a baby now. My husband and I are fed up with high taxes. So this avenue of a Free State sounds very appealing if it can be realized.

I assume many here are supportive of home schooling.

Anyone suggest some methods of homeschooling, there is so much on the web.

So far, I like the Robinson Curriculum.   http://robinsoncurriculum.com/

Any other suggestions?

debra

• FSP Participant
Re:Homeschooling options
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 07:17:58 pm »

I was very intrigued by the Robinson curriculum. It has many adherents - if you go that route, let me know how you like it. We decided against it because it is a "self-motivated" system. While my son is highly self-motivated, my daughter has made it her goal in life to avoid doing anything that could possibly be construed as work - and "learning" falls into that category :(  

My husband and I devised our own curriculum using Saxon Math (*love it!!*) and then whatever (good) books were on sale at the used bookstores (Swiss Family Robinson, Tom Sawyer, etc) plus Bible study for literature / reading.

We also used the McGuffey Readers and Speller (had them read through, copy the text, look up the words and define them), and I found a grammar book at Barnes & Noble, so I had them diagram sentences (boy, did THAT bring me back!).

For science, we seriously considered The Jason Project (actually, it covers much more than science: math, geography, etc), but decided on a "pick a topic, learn about it" approach instead. We made serious use of the Discovery channel and Discovery.Com, as well as the internet in general and the local library. The kids had to set a deadline, research their topic, write a report on it, and make a display (kind of like a mini science fair).

For geography, we got world maps (on sale at used book stores or B&N) and had them learn the continents, the countries within it, and some general overview of the socio-political information (my husband did more of this, since he's very interested in geography).

For history, we used Elaine Lauder's "Cradle of Civilization" series, from the Sumerians through the Babylonians and the Assyrians, to the Egyptians... and so on.

I think that's about it! Anyway, the important thing is, it's not that hard (unless you have the aforementioned mule-headed daughter!  ;D ) Pick something, and if it doesn't work, feel free to switch to something that does. That's the beauty of homeschooling: you aren't locked into one static mode.

Good luck!
"Society has always honored its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 06:48:40 am »

Wow Debra! #1 never pictured you as a "mom" - I think I allowed your pic to give me a very one dimensional image of you (female Rambo - no offense as I wish I were a bit more 'Rambo' like), #2 We have very similar homeschooling styles. Very mixed bag of whatever struck our fancy. Worked out extremely well, most of it coming from used book sales and thrift stores so it was VERY inexpensive too.
Additionally just a word; we ended up switching approaches/materials on a few subjects midstream and know many others who wound up doing the same. For anyone who is just starting, I'd want them to know it's no mark of failure to make changes in curriculum - you are simply doing some fine tuning and its a GOOD thing!
I homeschooled mine through high school and am glad I did. Now we wait and see what kind of responses we get from her college applications....... scary stuff!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 07:08:52 am by percy, aka tntsmum »

Jade

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 11:56:47 am »

Right now we are using A Beka for everything but math.  For that we are using Saxon.  My children are still young and we are still changing things around.  I like the way Debra and Percy are teaching and am still trying to find what "fits" each of my children.  
I want my children to enjoy learning so to me if it were more relaxed, no set curriculum, that would help.  
If any other mothers have homeschool ideas I'd love to hear them.  

sotetf

• "Nem" - said the Magyar
Thank you Debra and others
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 09:58:38 pm »

Thanks for what you have been through, it helps getting information from others who  have already been or are going through this.

Intriguing photograph, Debra.

Your photo fainly reminds me of Gordon Liddy's stack and packed calendar.  My husband was impressed by your arms! ;D

Bill Greene

• FSP Participant
  • Ron Paul Elector - 2016 Electoral College
    • "Why Bill Greene Voted for Ron Paul in the Electoral College"
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 04:36:16 pm »

Our homeschooled kids are 8 & 11; our oldest was in Christian schools a couple of years, but the youngest has been homeschooled all along.

It's been an interesting (and trying!) road, but the one thing I keep going back to with my wife is, "It's OK for us to change how we do things with them -- that's why we homeschool!" We've used A Beka, Bob Jones, and a few other curricula, but this year we joined Bill Gothard's "Advanced Training Institute" (http://ati.iblp.org/) and we're using their "Wisdom Booklets", which is basically a "unit studies" approach. We also use their Language booklets, plus a BJU math curriculum.

If you don't like Gothard or don't want to fully join something like ATI, or you'd just like to look into biblically-based unit studies, I'd recommend KONOS (http://www.konos.com/). From their website: "KONOS uses the entire library as a textbook and the whole world as a curriculum."

Also, though we haven't used it (my wife is reticent for some reason), I think the Robinson stuff rocks.

I think one of our disadvantages at the beginning was the fact that both of us were educators (I taught at the university, and my wife has her BS in Education and taught 3rd grade in the government schools). We had to UNlearn all of that stuff! ::)

I think the Free State will be quite a haven for the homeschool community... if we can get past some of the anti-Christian biases that seem to be inherent in many of the FSP participants.   :-\
Pledge Signer #913 - 09/11/2002 - Moving when I get that job!

redbeard

• FSP Participant
  • Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.
    • henerd
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 03:11:46 am »

I hope to have some kids to homeschool one day  :-\. Until then, I learn alot from my friends, most of whom use a variety of materials. There is an amazing program out of Texas called Pathway Publishers www.pathwaypublisher.com that is really breaking new ground with computer based education. I'm pretty sure it's adaptable for homeschool use. With the variety of resources available today from the internet, brick and mortar publishers and some of the cable channels you really can give a child an education that puts the government schools to shame.
I understand, and not knowing how to express myself without pagan words, I'd rather remain silent.
Arthur Rimbaud - A Season in Hell

redbeard

• FSP Participant
  • Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.
    • henerd
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 06:39:28 pm »

There's also some great stuff available from the History Channel. www.historychannel.com Just click on the "store" button. They have some great DVD and VHS tape sets - especially with regard to early American history. Good overview stuff.
I understand, and not knowing how to express myself without pagan words, I'd rather remain silent.
Arthur Rimbaud - A Season in Hell

Jade

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 06:58:56 pm »

It's been great to hear about other curriculums and places with good information.  We still haven't found our niche yet in homeschooling, so I'm still looking.
What is the Robinson stuff?  

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 02:13:58 pm »

I use the unschooling method with my two daughters, ages 8 and 10. We all love it! They read alot, do various classes that they're interested in and every now and then I force some "school" work upon them. They have time to follow their own interests and are learning all the time. There are also other things to keep in mind besides academics - happiness for one!

jeanius

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 06:17:12 pm »

I've been homeschooling for a year and a half after a bad experience at a private non-denominational school.  At first, I adopted some of the books the school had used (for continuity).  I bought books on homeschooling and read them.  **Then** I found "The Well Trained Mind, A Guide to Classical Education at Home" by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise-Bauer.  This mother and daughter team (daughter was homeschooled and is homeschooling her own) teach the reader about the trivium method.  It is rigorous, has high standards and yet made homeschooling easy for me.  It outlines curriculum, while offering choices, gives you schedules which you can use and/or alter as you choose, I can't say enough about this book.  It is definitely structured homeschooling so isn't for those following an unschooling approach.  The trivium can involve bible teaching but the book (WTM) offers both secular and Christian alternatives - we use a secular approach.  They promote Saxon math but offer alternatives depending on your teaching style and students.  It is probably not a coincidence that I found out about this book on an objectivist educational newsgroup which I believe no longer exists.  This book is well worth investigating.  In the short run you can check www.welltrainedmind.com for more information.  Susan Wise-Bauer has written a couple of books since the publication of WTM which can be used as well - one on ancient history for an elementary audience, 1st and 2nd grade language lessons (grammar) and a second history on medevil times is due out momentarily.

FYI

Lempi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 02:27:39 pm »

Hi sotetf. Here is a web site which will be encouraging to you. I have been homeschooling my children 7 years using primarily the Charlotte Mason method.  Here is a web link which simply explains how one mom has applied this in her home. Since you have a baby be sure to click on the kindergarten link. Also I recommend the book Homegrown Kids (particularly good for sensible, practical advice for the younger set, though it does promote vegetarianism but you can skip that part and just take in what speaks to you) by Raymond Moore and For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

http://homemade.truepath.com

This will link you to the Homemade Living web site. It is very encouraging.

Ron

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 11:27:36 am »

Talk to them thats doing. Idaho home schooling.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Idahohomeschool/
FSPer's Get your answers to home schooling in Idaho
Ron

Ron

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2003, 11:35:44 am »

Common Questions And Plain Answers
Excellent overview of the homeschooling laws in Idaho, with links to relevant sections of the state law.

http://integrityhs.hypermart.net/forreyq%26a.htm
Ron

Ron

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2003, 11:38:58 am »

Home School Packet
The state of Idaho does not regulate or monitor homeschool education. For a quality education, this Word or Acrobat file may be considered a guideline. From Shannon Page, Coordinator of Accreditation and Elementary Services.

http://www.sde.state.id.us/instruct/HomeSchool/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything