Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Deleted)  (Read 9874 times)

Marc_Geddes

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
(Deleted)
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:54:08 pm »

(Deleted)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:24:59 am by Marc_Geddes »

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
Re:NZ Libertarian here - Am I in or am I out?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:59:54 pm »

What is your skill set.  That, unfortunately, is one way to get a foreigner permission to come in -- if there is a job waiting that would, arguably, be hard to fill by somebody already here.  Maybe one could argue that in Pittsburg Township, NH, people with your skill cannot be had.  (Just kidding, unless you really like to be isolated, Pittsburg is the biggest, emptiest township in NH.... but it makes the point about how, even if the example is off the scale.....)

SteveA

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 01:10:12 am »

There was a lady that posted here a while back from NZ also I believe.  She was American but married there ... if I remember correctly.  Not that that affects the price of tea in China though.

An alternative is to download ICQ, open up the search page, select female, then 20-30 years of age, and location as U.S. and hit random chat.  If she's single there's a chance ;D

I'm only 70% joking on that one.  Could be we've got a single porcupiness who might like chatting too ;D
"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 07:35:17 am »

There are already five people located in NZ signed up with the FSP:
http://freestateproject.org/about/countries_count.php

Now, most or all of these might be US citizens living in NZ.  If you like, we can send an email to these people letting them know of your existence & your interest, and letting them take the next step of contacting you if they choose.

Otherwise, keep an eye peeled here for FSP business owners who will be hiring.  I think most current business owners who will be moving their business & looking to hire people will take a couple of years to move to NH, because moving a business requires quite a bit of planning and work.  So it might be a while before you find a really definite lead.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 07:53:32 am »

I've started a business in NH and will probably be hiring in a few months.

Sign up with the FSP and make yourself known on here, it's the easiest way for you to get into New Hampshire!
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

caroline

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 03:53:23 am »

I'm a Libertarian living in New Zealand, and I've been keeping a very interested eye on how the FSP is progressing.  I wondered about the degree of international interest.  What are the stats there?  Many overseas FSP'er's signed on?  Any other NZ'er's.  It's definitely a project I'd be interested in signing on for.

The hard fact of the matter is that there is really no strong culture of liberty outside the United States.  Only a very tiny fraction of people outside the States are Libertarian.  So it’s a pretty lonely existence for the few Libertarians like me who are scattered around the rest of the world, cut off from any sort of Libertarian community.

During the 80's NZ went through a period of extensive free market reforms.  There are a few things here that are quite Libertarian - for instance Prostitution has been fully legalized here (and I can tell you that there were no problems with it at all).  But of course, it's still a long long way from genuine Libertarianism, and the current left-leaning government is busy reversing all the earlier reforms.  There's nothing for me here.  I'd like to move to the States and NH.

Trouble is, of course, the immigration controls.  I don't have any U.S connections, so it's hard to see how I could get into the country to stay.  Any suggestions?  If I could find an inkling of help at that end, it might be worth-while for me to sign on the FSP.  What do you think?  Am I in or am I out?

Hi Marc,

I'm an American (from Massachusetts) living in Finland with my Finnish husband, so in a sense I'm sort of "half foreigner".  ;) We are considering moving to NH in a couple of years. IIRC the stats on participation by country can be found on the FSP main page.

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:34:28 pm »

Marc,

I agree with your points on NZ. I was just there for the World Liberty Conference (Rotorua, 22-25 July) sponsored by the International Society for Individual Liberty, www.isil.org . We heard from a lot of interesting speakers, including Dave Henderson, Rodney Hide, MP, Sir Roger Douglas, Dr. Lockwood Smith,MP, Roger Kerr, Gerry Eckhoff,MP, Tim Barnett, MP, and many others.

There were at least three other FSP members attending the conference but they were from the USA. I hope you were there, there was a good atttendance from NZ, including 20 university students.

I suggest looking up Jim Peron in Auckland. He owns Aristotle Books on Symonds St. and is the Executive Director of the Institute for Liberal Values. He is a libertarian/objectivist, US ex-pat, now living in NZ after a decade in South Africa. He has an interesting backround and has published several books. Jim is not planning to move to New Hampshire, but he doesn't have permanent status in NZ yet either (which based on the info from a NZ immigration consultant we were given its sounds more difficult to immmigrate to NZ than to the USA unless you have a lot of spare capital to invest.).

Please keep us posted on the latest doings down there, I'm sure Rodney Hide will continue to entertain and needle the government. At least your voting system gives the small parties a voice in parliament whereas they are shut out in our Congress.

Marc_Geddes

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 12:37:33 am »

Hi SethA,

I wasn't at the World Liberty Conference.  Sounded good though.

I might look up Jim Peron.  You say he is Objectivist though?  I'm distinctly cool towards Objectivists at the moment.  I had a big run-in with Objectivists on an N.Z forum.  When I started talking about my own philosophy of Libertarianism (Transhumanism), some Objectivists there begun to post a number of extremely abusive messages.  

There are some absolute idiots in the Objectivist movement I'm afraid.  I realize that not all Objectivists are that way, but my experience is that Objectivism has a tendancy to turn people into hateful, intolerant jerks.

On a lighter note, I think Rodney Hide is a good guy.  I just read an article of his published in the September issue of 'Liberty' magazine.  Worth checking out.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 04:01:26 am by Marc_Geddes »

blaked

• Fellow llama
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 02:31:01 am »

Roger Daniels, imho, ranks right up there with Vaclav Havel and above Margaret Thatcher in the patheon of effective classical liberals in government.  Why did NZ turn 180 and elect that stupid bitch - what's her name - the former school teacher - as PM a few years ago?  Too many bleeding cunts, er... hearts, in the electorate, I 'spose.  Do you vote Libertarianz or ACT?

Marc, the problem with objectivism is that it never should have become a movement.  My opinion is that most of the best elements of Objectivism are iterated better in other philosophies such as Max Stirner's anarcho-individualism.  Some of the people that Rand kicked out of her special people club, like Hospers and Rothbard, are ok.  The biggest problem with objectivism is that it has become a dogmatic orthodoxy.  In that dogma negates inquiry, objectivism loses merit as a philosophy.  That's why objectivist philosophy professors never get tenure. :-)  I would consider myself a transhumanist - how is transhumanism different from extropianism?  Is it just that the extropian mail-server went defunct and that someone decided to warm over the idea with a fresh new name?  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 02:51:33 am by blaked »

antayla

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 03:23:02 am »

Sometimes I really wish these forums had an ignore feature...

svillee

• Friend of the FSP
  • I favor a constitutional plutocracy.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 02:14:46 pm »

The hard fact of the matter is that there is really no strong culture of liberty outside the United States.  Only a very tiny fraction of people outside the States are Libertarian.  So it’s a pretty lonely existence for the few Libertarians like me who are scattered around the rest of the world, cut off from any sort of Libertarian community.

During the 80's NZ went through a period of extensive free market reforms.  There are a few things here that are quite Libertarian - for instance Prostitution has been fully legalized here (and I can tell you that there were no problems with it at all).  But of course, it's still a long long way from genuine Libertarianism, and the current left-leaning government is busy reversing all the earlier reforms.  There's nothing for me here.  I'd like to move to the States and NH.

Maybe you don't realize how good you already have it.  Of the 120 members of the New Zealand Parliament, 8 belong to the ACT, which is New Zealand's libertarian party.  In contrast, no one in the US Congress officially belongs to the Libertarian Party.  Ron Paul is essentially a libertarian, but he has to declare himself Republican in order to get elected.

I'm just saying if you're a libertarian, you may want to consider very carefully whether moving from New Zealand to the US is worthwhile.  Granted, if you're going to do it, NH is the place to go.

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 02:35:10 pm »

You are correct. Rodney Hide, who was mentioned in a couple of the posts above, is the leader of the ACT party. You can read his blog at http://rodneyhide.com

Marc_Geddes

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 11:17:26 pm »

Maybe you don't realize how good you already have it.  Of the 120 members of the New Zealand Parliament, 8 belong to the ACT, which is New Zealand's libertarian party.  In contrast, no one in the US Congress officially belongs to the Libertarian Party.  Ron Paul is essentially a libertarian, but he has to declare himself Republican in order to get elected.

I'm just saying if you're a libertarian, you may want to consider very carefully whether moving from New Zealand to the US is worthwhile.  Granted, if you're going to do it, NH is the place to go.

Hi svillee.  If I 'have it good' in N.Z, then all I can say is:  God help the rest of the world ;)

ACT party, whilst generally Libertarian-leaning, is not actually a Libertarian party.  ACT is more like the equivalent of the socially-liberal wing of the U.S Republician party.  ACT is all for welfare, government-run Education and government health-care.  That said, there certainly seem to be some really bright good people associated with ACT.  Unfortunately at the moment the party only at 3% in the polls!

I would consider myself a transhumanist - how is transhumanism different from extropianism?  Is it just that the extropian mail-server went defunct and that someone decided to warm over the idea with a fresh new name?  

Hi blaked, Extropianism is a particular kind of Transhumanism.  Transhumanism is the general philosophy, Extropianism is one particular variant of it.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 01:03:34 pm »

Maybe we will have to start smuggling people into NH from all over the world. You are welcome in my book. I don't think our government should get in your way. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything