Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20,000 or how many so far?  (Read 2787 times)

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
20,000 or how many so far?
« on: July 05, 2004, 01:52:47 pm »

Hi, I'm new and I did look for the answer to my question but didn't find it. So if this has been answered elsewhere, I apologise in advance.

I know FSP is supposed to have reached that magical number before people started to move to NH (I read about this group some time ago, found out about you all thru an online forum group I belong but lost the url for this site until now), so what I am curious about is

1. Have you reached your magical number yet?
2. Have they all moved, as promised to NH?
3. And the ones who has moved, what types of problems did they encounter with the locals, if any.

I will most probably join. I now have this site bookmarked so I wont be loosing it. But I also like to know what I would/could be facing when I do move. And yes if I join I would move, no later than 5 to 7 years (life demands time).

Like I said, I am brand new here and if this has been answered, please don't rip me to shreds over this (that happens on other forums I belong to, people post a question that has been asked before and people jumps all over them, so tacky), just post links to the answer or be kind and answer my questions here.

Thank you in avance and looking forward to getting to know people here.

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re:20,000 or how many so far?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 02:10:23 pm »

3. And the ones who has moved, what types of problems did they encounter with the locals, if any.

1) no, we're at a little under 6,000 right now

2) not required yet, but a little over 30 people have moved

3) couldn't tell you abou that one.

One thing - people here are generally nicer to newcomers when it comes to general questions.

We do get into some pretty heated debates sometimes, but we are all generally libertarian on almost all issues.  Our differences are minor, so don't take any heated discussions here too seriously.  We probably agree 90% of the time or more.

There is an occasional troll mixed in, but they're usually dispensed with pretty quickly.

This is the only libertarian forum I've found where strategy is routinely discussed.  We need more forums like this.

Welcome!

DustinD

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a Porcupine!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 02:17:25 pm »

5,901 have joined at the time of this post.

http://www.freestateproject.org/about/move_plans.jsp shows the migration status.

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 02:29:38 pm »

1) no, we're at a little under 6,000 right now

2) not required yet, but a little over 30 people have moved

3) couldn't tell you abou that one.

One thing - people here are generally nicer to newcomers when it comes to general questions.

We do get into some pretty heated debates sometimes, but we are all generally libertarian on almost all issues.  Our differences are minor, so don't take any heated discussions here too seriously.  We probably agree 90% of the time or more.

There is an occasional troll mixed in, but they're usually dispensed with pretty quickly.

This is the only libertarian forum I've found where strategy is routinely discussed.  We need more forums like this.

Welcome!

Ah thank you very much for the answers. The first 2 was pretty much what I was expecting. 20,000 is a large number to be reached in such a short time frame, especially these days of people not caring.

And it does take time to up and move to a new state, especially for such a radial new(?) idea as FSP is. But again, given how new"ish" this is that isn't too bad a number. I am sure more will move as they can.

And for the 3rd question, I was pretty sure that one would be a difficult one to answer except by the people who has moved.

I try to ask generally politely thought out questions. And I don't get bent if someone is having a bad day (spent too much time in online and real time forums) for that to happen.

Trolls are everywhere and once  I know who a troll is I tend to ignore them. Makes for a nice world, more boring perhaps, but nicer.

So far from what I have read on this site, it is a well run site and it makes reading enjoyable.

Thank you again for you answers. I am sure/positive I will have a lot more.

FSPTalker

• FSP Member
  • FSP Participant
  • Home at last!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 03:14:01 pm »

Hi Nancy,
My wife and I made the move on Dec. 4th of last year. We didn't make an issue of being Free Staters but are not hesitant to answer that question from anyone who asks.
Most the the residents don't appear to care one way or the other. Those who believe we can be allies are naturally curious to see if this might be true for their own reasons. Authoritarians speak out against us which is the case anywhere you go in the world, not just NH.
The worst that could happen would be a general rise in the NIMBY factor within some communities. This was the risk the Free Towners exposed us to in Grafton. Hard to live in a community that won't rent or sell to you, hire you or buy from you. Lesson learned: play nice with your new neighbors.
The people in the area I live in are very friendly and tolerant. Those of my new neighbors who know I'm involved in that "Free State thingy" are sometimes curious but not particularly alarmed.
Our Free State community is growing and we're forming a support network for those are are coming in the next few years. We're also reaching out to allies in other liberty oriented organizations and beginning to network with them.
I'm aware of three newcomers who arrived in late May and in June who all attended a Meet & Greet this Saturday at my home. I also know of a family that will be moving before the end of July.
Momentum is slowing growing in NH and opportunities to make positive change happen are real right now. My advice to anyone reading this; don't sit on the fence, get involved if you really care about liberty in your lifetime. Make this Project happen today, not tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:44:29 pm by FSPTalker »
There is no try. Do or do not-YODA

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 03:39:50 pm »

FSPTalker

Thank you very much for your response. It cleared up some of the concerns I had (small concerns but concerns none the less).

I spoke with my father (he is a WW2 vet who lives with me now and until the end) and he would move with me. As I said we spoke and he likes what FSP stands for. He said, " darn girl (girl and at MY age lol) that is what I went to war for, those ideals. How can we not join and move." So I have joined, he is napping and dreaming of moving. I am sure he will join as well, but when you are 82 going on 83 naps comes first.

So I am no longer a fence sitter but it will still take 5 to 7 years for us to move.

I will continue asking questions of course, trying to ensure my father's well being. Me I am young enough that I can fit in most any where.

Again thank you for your insights to life in NH.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 03:47:45 pm »

Welcome aboard Nancy. I am a new member also joined after visting the porc fest and seeing good people who belive in Liberty.

A big hello to your dad ,I think naps are good at any age :)
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Nancy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 06:06:39 pm »

Welcome aboard Nancy. I am a new member also joined after visting the porc fest and seeing good people who belive in Liberty.

A big hello to your dad ,I think naps are good at any age :)

Hello and welcome to you too. And thank you.  I am looking forward to becoming more involved. Joining up, making a commitment to moving to NH, working for a free state/country and maybe in time getting to know some of the people from FSP, maybe even in person once we get moved.

And I'll tell my father you said hello, he's awake and off to town. He's fast, said FSP wont disappear during the time he's out, so he has time. lol What a guy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up