Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertarian Rhetoric is Counterproductive  (Read 2251 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

rhobite

• Patron saint of quality footwear
    • Jimmy Squid's Weapons
Re:Libertarian Rhetoric is Counterproductive
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 01:37:24 pm »

I wrote that article. Unfortunately Kuro5hin hasn't allowed new users in a few months, but if anyone here has questions I'm happy to answer them. My goal was to increase awareness of libertarian ideals while calling out some of the extremists who are harmful to the cause.

j_freeman

• FSP Participant
  • Disagreeably Disagreeable
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 05:23:57 pm »

Jeez, talk about a lot of angry liberals who hate libertarians on that site. Too bad the place isn't accepting any new signups. Would've been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I agree with the article. I think--for the most part--libertarian rhetoric either scares off those that are open to new ideas, or it will simply induce those listening to you to stop listening to you. Either way, you've wasted your time.
Prohibition worked in the '20s, too.

rhobite

• Patron saint of quality footwear
    • Jimmy Squid's Weapons
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 05:35:39 pm »

Yeah, there are quite a few libertarians there too, but as usual the most vocal people are the ones who disagree.

some guy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 11:12:37 am »

There are a lot of pretentious idiots on the site, and their opinions aren't representative of anything. Having said that, writing the article as a criticism of the FTP was exactly the right approach to take on k5.

Also, there are quite a lot of non-American english speakers who frequent the site - particularly from Britain. As I'm sure everyone realizes, libertarianism is much less popular outside the USA. Incidentally, I believe the British would use the phrase "pretentious wankers" to refer to the usual atmosphere on k5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up