Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP member chosen as the Libertarian Presidential Nominee  (Read 9232 times)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
FSP member chosen as the Libertarian Presidential Nominee
« on: May 30, 2004, 02:52:04 pm »

We need a Press Release playing this up, since it will generate interest/PR for both Michael Badnarik as well as the FSP.

Yes, Nolan is also a member, and Russo endorsed us.  Ok, this was an easy gimme.    ;D

FreeBoB

Re:FSP member chosen as the Libertarian Presidential Nominee
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 03:34:27 pm »

Great point.  :)  I'm proud to have him as a FSP member, and as the LP candidate for President.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 04:16:40 pm by Brian Sullivan »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 04:50:23 pm »

Whodathunkit?  I was sure Nolan had it in the bag.  

I'm happy that Badnarik won.  Of the three candidates, he was the most vocally supportive of the FSP.  He's the only candidate that displays an FSP logo on his campaign web site -- placed prominently at the top.

Badnarik's nomination is a big win for the FSP.

bookish_lass

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 06:05:17 pm »

Very happy he won!

Michael has said that if he does not win the presidency, he will be running for state office in New Hampshire.  It behooves us to support him in this race.  If he wins, then wow, we have a Libertarian president.  If he loses, the more publicity he gets, the more likely he will be elected to NH government.  Either way we win.  The FSP itself can't endore or support his campaign, but that doesn't stop us as individuals from doing so.

He needs $$ badly.  Amazon is carrying his constitution book, which I recommend.

It's good to be king

That may be available on his website, also.  www.badnarik.org

Amazon will allow you to make campaign contributions:
Donate

Let's give our fellow freestater a hand!

Kat Dillon

FreeBoB

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 06:42:49 pm »

And, before you order...

Amazon and Laissez Faire Books will donate a part of their profit to the FSP if you order Michael's book (or any book) through our website here:  http://www.freestateproject.org/getinvolved/books.jsp

Brian

Justin

• FSP Participant
  • So... these are going to be my neighbors?!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 07:03:25 pm »

Funny post by someone in another forum...painful, but funny:

AP - Washington - The United States was stunned into abject disinterest by the news that someone was chosen from the LP to be completely irrelevant in the 2004 presidential race. Mike Cook, a businessman from Baltimore interviewed today was quoted as replying "Huh?" when the news broke. Meanwhile in central Nebraska, Chef Owen Jesseman was heard to say "Uh . . . great." The rest of the nation could not be reached for comment, giving the excuse that it really wasn't following the LP and didn't plan on doing so anytime soon.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

thegotoguy

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 07:26:35 pm »

Badnarik made it to the front page of news.google.com

see:
"Austinite picked as Libertarian Party presidential nominee"

under
US : >>>

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 08:45:53 pm »

Funny post by someone in another forum...painful, but funny:

AP - Washington - The United States was stunned into abject disinterest by the news that someone was chosen from the LP to be completely irrelevant in the 2004 presidential race. Mike Cook, a businessman from Baltimore interviewed today was quoted as replying "Huh?" when the news broke. Meanwhile in central Nebraska, Chef Owen Jesseman was heard to say "Uh . . . great." The rest of the nation could not be reached for comment, giving the excuse that it really wasn't following the LP and didn't plan on doing so anytime soon.
They won't be laughing (at least, not at us) if Badarnik or Nader cost Bush or Kerry the election.  There is real dissatisfaction on the part of certain large wings of the two parties.

Interesting that it went to three ballots, with Nolan endorsing Bardnik after being eliminated in the second.  What would have happened had they used Condorcet?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:03:41 pm by Steve »

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 09:29:48 pm »

The voting was pretty clear though:
Nolan lost to Badnarik even in the first ballot.
The second vote, Nolan's total didn't really budge, so there weren't a lot of Nolan supporters who voted for Badnarik in the first ballot (see the recent endorsement/essay by Steve Trinward on Badnarik's site about this... this was a possibility)
However, despite Nolan's asking his (former) delegates to vote for Badnarik, the next ballot was NOT all toward Badnarik, which means that a significant number of Nolan supporters then went to Russo.

I don't think any other form of voting would have made much difference here... the ballot explains it all: 3 way split pretty closely, 3 camps of people... when pushed to eliminate Nolan, his supporters went both ways, but more toward Badnarik...  If this had been a ranked/ Condorcet style ballot, likely the same results would have occurred.

It seems (from the debate intros, when Russo spoke) that Nolan and Russo agreed to 'shake hands' and work together, so one wonders the acrimony before this... and I wonder if Badnarik's great showing in the debate combined with the Nolan/Russo camp wars didn't end up all playing into Badnarik's favor...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:43:48 pm by SethCohn »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 08:33:30 am »

And, if everything goes according to plan, this is going to be a major publicity coup....... :d

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 11:01:52 am »

We will be getting petitions signed to get Michael Badnarik on the ballot in NH, at Market Square Day, June 12 in Portsmouth, meeting at
10 am, and again at 2 pm, at North Church.  Feel free to join us Jim! ;)  All are welcome! :)

North Church is right AT market square, in the heart
of downtown Portsmouth. It is the most well known
landmark in the entire city. Most anyone you ask on
the sidewalk will be able to point you to it; that's
the beauty of it.

http://seacoastnh.com/yesterdayandtoday/yt009.html
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 01:50:48 am »

We need a Press Release playing this up, since it will generate interest/PR for both Michael Badnarik as well as the FSP.
Very good point.  OK, I've drafted a press release, and I have received a quote from Alan, but still need one from Jason and Amanda, all of whom spoke at the LP convention.  They only just got back, and you're all asleep right now; I hope we finish this today (your time).

So that's why I still haven't finished the article for your web site.  ;) I'm 2/3 done, but it keeps growing....

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 05:01:33 pm »

Congratulations to Michael Badnarik!

Amazon is carrying his constitution book, which I recommend.

It says the book is not yet available.  ???  Hopefully he'll have more copies printed up soon.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 10:07:17 pm »

The first episode of American candidate will be filiming in Keene next weekend, and we will be collecting petitions for Mike and our state candidates there....

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

DougD

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 10:49:46 am »

Has anyone else noticed a significant membership increase this week, following the LP convention on C-SPAN and the nomination of Michael Badnarik?

Or has it been on pace with previous weeks?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything