Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drug legalization flyer  (Read 2849 times)

accountiuse

• I'm a llama!
Drug legalization flyer
« on: April 21, 2004, 12:41:14 pm »

I recently viewed the new Drug legalization flyer which states that 20,000 activists could have passed the initiative. Can someone explain how this would work? How many activists did Nevada have to support the measure? Just wondering if anyone analyzed the 2 different situations.

AnonCastillo

• FSP Participant
Re:Drug legalization flyer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 01:43:42 am »

Well, in Nevada, the majority of activist organizations were from out of state. From what I know from friends and family in Las Vegas, the LV chapter of NORML is nearly non-existant, and the MPP presence there was almost entirely from their national group, not from any local contacts.
This caused a few problems for the attempt to legalize marijuana in Nevada. Mostly it meant that voters who were more likely to favor legalization (generally younger voters) weren't tapped - there weren't any local contacts to inform them or push them to vote.

With 20,000 local activists, we have a large network of supporters who can all find legalization-friendly voters in their communities and convince them to vote. We'll also have more activists than the local Democratic and Republican parties combined - meaning no shortage of volunteers for fundraising, mailing, phoning, etc., meaning an easier time promoting issues like marijuana legalization. From a strategic standpoint, a campaign to legalize marijuana would be far less difficult in New Hampshire once we have 20,000 free staters there than it was in Nevada without us.
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am
"As I Am" - Dream Theater

j_freeman

• FSP Participant
  • Disagreeably Disagreeable
Re:Drug legalization flyer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 04:44:17 pm »

the new Drug legalization flyer

Hmm...this is the first time I've heard of this. Got a link?
Prohibition worked in the '20s, too.

atr

• FSP Participant
Pages: [1]   Go Up