Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Day in the life...  (Read 3155 times)

RunBabyRun

• Enlighten me.
Day in the life...
« on: October 22, 2002, 11:48:37 pm »

of a FreeStater. I have the sinking suspicion this question has been asked but I'll try anyway. If you live in the FS how will your life change? What will be different in everyday life? I personally don't do drugs/alcohol/meat/dairy/want to own a gun or want to be rich (as people who hear of the capitalist/libertarain ideals of the FSP accuse me of being) but I really believe that people can do what they want as long as they don't hurt others. People who hear of this automatically ask me if I seriously want to live around "beer-guzzling, shotgun-carrying, dope-smoking loudmouths" but I'd like for them to realize the stereotype they're perpetuating and then realize that (at least where I am) it wouldn't be different from what they live by now.  :)

Also, I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to the gov't and I am uncomfortable with the idea that they'll simply let this happen. That's probably what's keeping me from signing up. I figure that if it works out I'll be on there soon enough but I don't want to be a wimp  ;).

Hopefully you all will be able to give some insight. I've always wondered why like-minded people don't take over an area. I'm glad to see it's happening.
I may not agree with what you have to say but I defend to the death your right to say it. (paraphrasing Voltaire)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Day in the life...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 09:54:06 am »

I think a society with true individual responsibility would be quite different from what we have today.  There would be a good bit more community and neighborliness, because everyone would realize that we have to do for ourselves things that government used to do (badly).  Here is one member's conception of what life in the Free State might be like:
http://freestateproject.org/morning.htm
http://freestateproject.org/afternoon.htm
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

heyerstandards

• Who's guarding the guards?
Re:Day in the life...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 05:48:03 pm »

If you spend a great deal of the day interacting with government you will first notice that you have more free time.  

If you're a bureaucrat spending all day lining people up to feed at the public trough, you'll probably run out of money by 8:30am. (You're office probably opens at 9:00 anyway. heh heh.) If you make your living giving away taxpayers money, you're going to have to move to a welfare state.

However, if you're a normal person, you'll probably notice on the drive home from work that there are not the usual state revenue agents in squad cars hidden in ambush waiting for speeders. When you get home and check your snail mail, you'll probably notice more money in your paycheck, not to mention a host of recruiting letters and "help-wanted" circulars and job ads.

Your utility bill will be considerably lower, since your local utility monopoly was abolished.  Prices at the gas pump will be 20-30 cents lower, saving you a net amount since there are more private tolls roads. You will receive more phone calls from out of state interest groups convincing you to vote "no" on the various referenda abolishing this law or that law. Meals are cheaper since the farmer's markets are springing up all over the place. You medical insurance is cheaper since the medical licensing board no longer exists to keep bad doctors in "practice".

One or two evenings a month is occupied by your attendance/ membership on various governing boards.

In the free evenings, in your comfy chair, adult beverage in hand, you flip through the pages of the Porcupine Monthly (13 issues, 5 oz silver.) It outlines the latest initiatives and voting guides as recommended by the FSP Party.

And you drift off to sleep wondering how you're going to spend the dividend check you just recevied from [Free State] Capitol representing the proceeds of selling off all the unused assets and lease proceeds of sublet surplus gov't buildings.

Is government sometimes useful? Answered Mencken:

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything