Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 101 Reasons to Move to the Seacoast Region!  (Read 16016 times)

SethA

• FSP Participant
Re:101 Reasons to Move to the Seacoast Region!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2004, 12:35:18 pm »

25) The Seacoast has its own resident meteorologist, Ken Mitchell.
http://www.weatherlook.com/

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2004, 12:47:53 pm »

24) NH House district #67 is the very best one for electing libertarians to the statehouse through fusion.  :)

Where's that?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2004, 01:23:50 pm »

But, the rates are still lower.

Read it again, Adam.

I'm paying $33/$1000

Michelle is paying $33/$1000

The rates are the same. ;)

I don't even know where Michelle lives, so this doesn't mean much to me. As far as I can tell (from the official numbers released by the New Hampshire government), there is not a single town in the Seacoast region where the effective property tax rate is as high as in Keene. According to the 2002 figures, Keene taxes 98.6% of the assessed value with a rate of $32.05 per $1000. The rate in Newton, for example, is close to Keene's at $29.35/$1000, but it's only levied on 65.7% of the assessed value, so the effective rate is only $19.41/$1000.

Edited to change 1998 to 2002.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:43:50 pm by atr »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2004, 02:17:24 pm »

25) The Seacoast has its own resident meteorologist, Ken Mitchell.
http://www.weatherlook.com/

THAT's fishing.. ;)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2004, 03:10:33 pm »

JM-- It's a bit of a reach but worth noting because he does provide a great service outside of the government's system and he lives in Exeter. He seems like a nice guy, I'll bet he would add Keene to his primary coverage if you ask... :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 03:11:29 pm by SethA »

Sons of Liberty

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2004, 03:58:21 pm »

#26 - Route 1A is a great summer drive in an MGB Roadster

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2004, 04:56:55 pm »

But, the rates are still lower.

Read it again, Adam.

I'm paying $33/$1000

Michelle is paying $33/$1000

The rates are the same. ;)

I don't even know where Michelle lives, so this doesn't mean much to me. As far as I can tell (from the official numbers released by the New Hampshire government), there is not a single town in the Seacoast region where the effective property tax rate is as high as in Keene. According to the 2002 figures, Keene taxes 98.6% of the assessed value with a rate of $32.05 per $1000. The rate in Newton, for example, is close to Keene's at $29.35/$1000, but it's only levied on 65.7% of the assessed value, so the effective rate is only $19.41/$1000.

Edited to change 1998 to 2002.

I'm in Somersworth. So, basically what you are saying is that even though the actual tax rate may be similar, the tax is levied on a lower percentage of actual market value than it would be if my home were picked up and moved to Keene. Is that right?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 04:57:43 pm by Michelle »
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

atr

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2004, 05:14:21 pm »

I'm in Somersworth. So, basically what you are saying is that even though the actual tax rate may be similar, the tax is levied on a lower percentage of actual market value than it would be if my home were picked up and moved to Keene. Is that right?

Bingo. Here's an explanation of it by a Prudential realtor in southern New Hampshire: http://www.nh-real-estate.com/taxes.htm

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2004, 05:23:16 pm »

I hadn't realized that they taxed such a low % of assesed value -
We have about $100k home, and pay ~$3300/yr in combined local, county, school, and SWPT taxes...

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2004, 07:57:57 pm »

24) NH House district #67 is the very best one for electing libertarians to the statehouse through fusion.  :)

Where's that?

Rochester, Somersworth, and Rollinsford. District 67 is the largest (14 reps) district in the state. In the 2002 election, Democrats won four seats through fusion that libertarians could have easily won. This result inspired the creation of the "Freedom in Rochester" project.

If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2004, 09:30:26 am »

I hadn't realized that they taxed such a low % of assesed value -
We have about $100k home, and pay ~$3300/yr in combined local, county, school, and SWPT taxes...

Keene has a very high equalized tax rate; it was $31.59 in 2002 versus $19.36 in Somersworth. Keene's equalized tax rate is higher than almost anywhere on the seacoast.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 09:31:45 am by George Reich »
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2004, 01:23:27 pm »

I would like to know who voted for Rochester to be one of the Free Towns??? I mean, outside of George Riech...

I should note that the key nemesis of Governor Benson is elected from Rochester, by overwhelming amounts. The town is a liberal stronghold.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2004, 02:03:27 pm »

I would like to know who voted for Rochester to be one of the Free Towns??? I mean, outside of George Riech...

There are presently 32 people who are interested enough in the Freedom in Rochester project to participate in our Yahoo group.

I should note that the key nemesis of Governor Benson is elected from Rochester, by overwhelming amounts. The town is a liberal stronghold.

Dick Green's election to his District 6 senate seat was a quirk. Fergus Cullen, the Republican candidate originally chosen in the primary, was disqualified from running in the general election due to a problem with residency requirements. Dick Green was asked to run at the last minute by the Republicans, and few gave him any chance of winning against the Democratic incumbent. In fact, Green did not win by "overwhelming amounts". Get your facts straight before posting.

BTW - Rochester is a city, not a town. It has traditionally been a working class, Democratic kind of place, but it (and the rest of District 67) surprised everyone in the 2002 election. Every NH house candidate in that district who ran on a "No Sales Tax" and "No Income Tax" platform won handily. Rochester is less of a liberal stronghold than most NH cities, actually.

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2004, 02:53:38 pm »

BTW - Rochester is a city, not a town. It has traditionally been a working class, Democratic kind of place, but it (and the rest of District 67) surprised everyone in the 2002 election. Every NH house candidate in that district who ran on a "No Sales Tax" and "No Income Tax" platform won handily. Rochester is less of a liberal stronghold than most NH cities, actually.

Well write that up as reason #27.  :)
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2004, 02:58:32 pm »

27) Rochester, Somersworth, and Rollinsford residents hate taxes and make this known at the voting booth.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 02:59:03 pm by George Reich »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up